Sunday, October 20, 2024

Swords and Serpents: Top Heavy

See the bottom of this entry.
       
Not for the first time, Swords and Serpents has made me aware that I enjoy filling in gridded maps about as much as I like playing RPGs. If the game featured no combat at all--and it might as well not--I might still enjoy it about as much, and I'd still probably produce 16 carefully annotated maps on the way to the bottom.
    
Since you've already read plenty of Odes to Mapping in my previous entries (I would look them up and link to them, but I suspect if I don't, Busca will do the work for me), let me talk about something that occurred to me this time: I like it more when a) the game offers predictable grids; and b) every square is used. When a game lets its tiles make any shape or go off in any direction, I may like it more from a game world perspective, but I like it less mechanically. I enjoy knowing exactly how many squares the game is going to ask me to map--in this case, 4,096--and thus what percentage of the game I've completed. Every time I fill in a square, it's like watching a progress bar move closer to the end. In something like Crusaders of the Dark Savant, you have no idea where you are in terms of total progress.
   
Level 4 of the dungeon.
      
Meanwhile, when a game starts not using some of its squares, it feels like it's breaking its own rules. I want to toss the map in the air and say, "@%$! it, why do I even bother?" Swords and Serpents, in breaking neither rule, has kept me slightly addicted to mapping alone.
    
It's funny because by 1990, Interplay had largely outgrown 16 x 16 maps. They started there with The Bard's Tale (1985), but even that game's own sequels started experimenting with different sizes and shapes. Dragon Wars (1990) was still tiled, but the maps had very little predictability. Lord of the Rings, Vol. I (1990) abandoned tiles completely for continuous movement. But it's like they decided for their first console game, they needed to reach deep back into their roots. I find it amusing that Serpents came out the same year that ex-Interplay developer Michael Cranford wrote Centauri Alliance. These feel like products from the same author, down to the teleporters, one-way doors, and other mechanical tricks that the 1980s were famous for.
      
And Level 5! I hate dungeon levels that wrap. It makes no sense.
     
In between these levels, you have to fight a lot of battles--way more than makes any sense--and there isn't much to say about them. Enemies are differentiated only by image and level. They have no special attacks or defenses. You can't even really enjoy the tactics presented by magic spells (or at least I can't) because you mostly need your spell points for healing and navigation, and there aren't many good offensive spells anyway. Some readers want me to make more of the monster animations, but this is another area in which I disagree with most players. I would rather see the name of the monster I'm fighting than its image, and even in games that offer both, a static portrait that never varies between monsters of the same type excites me about as much as text. Portraits in which monsters swing their arms back and forth or blink or wave a weapon excite me only a little more than static portraits. Come back to me when the monster animations actually build immersion and convey something about what the monster is doing, so the player can tactically respond.
       
Somewhere during this session was my first eight-enemy battle.
     
That's about it for the broad themes. From here, I'll just cover level by level until I hit 2,500 words.
   
I explored Levels 1-3 during the first session. Level 4 was called "Secret Square," I assume because it culminated in a 5 x 5 square in the center of the level, although smaller 2 x 2 squares were featured throughout. The way to the central square had to be opened by hitting the corners of the level in a precise order, as clued by a message: "The four locks must be opened in the Mark of the 'Z.'"
    
Once I was through the door that the right pattern opened, a message warned, "Never do anything right!" This was a clue to turn left through a secret door rather than to turn right and follow a corridor uselessly around until it dumped the party out, although of course I had to do that just to map it. The same message was repeated just outside the central room, as to open its door, the player has to walk the perimeter corridor clockwise rather than counterclockwise.
       
This message means you haven't done something right.
     
The level had a zoom tube back to Level 1, something that's thankfully always telegraphed with Burma-Shave-like signs in the squares before the teleporter. Here, they read:
   
You've come this far . . .
Are you sure . . .
. . . you want to enter . . . 
ZOOM TUBE!
         
The level had two spells, a "Strength" spell and a "Death Mist" spell, neither of which seemed to do much in combat.
    
Level 5 was titled "The Haven," I imagine because it offered the first temple and armory since Level 1. It was the first level that wrapped, a mechanic that I inevitably loathe in any first-person tiled game. (I don't like it that much more in top-down games, either.) This created an odd pattern by which what is clearly the "center" of the level is divided into the four corners if you map in a way that retains the positioning of the earlier levels. 
   
This was a relief.
      
This central area is walled-off and completely inaccessible except for the "Passwall" spell, which the level offers, along with "Flight" (lets you levitate over traps). It seemed rather early for "Passwall." Using it in the closed-off parts of the level produced 400 gold pieces and a Glow Cloak.
     
Nice of someone to do that for us.
      
I was a little disappointed that the armory didn't have any items for sale that I didn't already have, except for helmets. I'd found one, but my characters needed a few more. Once I got done buying those, I still had thousands of gold pieces and no place to spend them. If the armory on Level 10 doesn't have better stuff, the economy in this game is going to be utterly worthless except for a couple of swords on Level 1.
      
Given that there's no way to lose or break equipment in this game, and that every character starts with at least a dagger, why would anyone ever need to buy one, especially on Level 5?
        
I took the "Passwall" spell back up to the previous levels and explored the closed-off areas. Level 1's closed square had a two-way teleporter to Level 6. A 2 x 1 area of Level 2 had absolutely nothing. A single square on Level 3 offered a Mirror Shield. Level 4 had a one-way teleporter to Level 9, which forced me to reload when I couldn't find a legitimate way back.
     
Level 6. I like big rooms. It makes things go faster.
    
There were four stairways down, and given their positions, I thought they'd all lead to a different corner of Level 6. Instead, they all funneled to the same square in the southwest corner of Level 6. That was weird.
 
"Shocking Truth" was Level 6's title, named for a large 10 x 9 room in which almost every square had a shock trap, thus requiring the "Flight" spell. (If that weren't obvious, a message read: "To fly as a bird would leave low concerns behind.") The center of this area offered the "Thunder" spell, an offensive spell that damages two enemies at once, but in practice does so little damage in comparison to a physical attack that it's not worth the pause in combat to cast it. I'd rather just use the spell points for healing later. 
       
I think I've done this dance at weddings.
      
There was an odd area to the southwest that could be accessed via the teleporter from Level 3 or a secret door from the large room with the traps. If you come the first way, you encounter a message that says, "you've found Secret Level Alpha!" The second way tells you that "you've found Secret Level Beta." A 4 x 4 room within this area (accessible only with "Passwall") offered the "Major Heal" spell, a full-party healing spell, which was nice because I was sick by then of casting one "Heal" at a time.
       
At this point, I have almost every spell in the game.
     
The manual says that you need the "seven ruby treasures," and I was starting to get concerned because I hadn't found anything since the Ruby Glasses on Level 2. This secret area had both the Ruby Shield and the Ruby Ring. Elsewhere on the level was a brass key that wasn't used anywhere on Level 6 or 7.
     
Level 7 was a little predictable.
      
Level 7 was called "Death" for no reason that I can see. It wasn't particularly hard. It consisted of 16 square rooms ringed by corridors. The "Stun" spell showed up somewhere, plus the Ruby Helmet and Ruby Crown. A zoom tube went back to Level 5. The way down to Level 8 was another 2 x 2 room with stairs in every square, except this time they went to different squares on Level 8.
      
This makes it sound like Kirk had it all along.
      
Level 8, "Rebirth," made extensive use of one of my least-favorite navigational elements: invisible walls. They occurred in extremely odd, irregular patterns, sometimes completely enclosing one or more squares, although they could be breached with "Passwall." The level had a magic fountain and zoom tube to Level 5, both nearly completely surrounded by teleporters to other points on the same level. I wasted a little time assuming that the Ruby Glasses would help me see the walls, but either I was wrong or I didn't figure out how to use them.
     
Level 8. I probably missed some invisible walls because I didn't try approaching and leaving every square from every direction.
        
An encounter in a 3 x 3 room enclosed by invisible walls said: "There is a short pole in the sand here!" My first thought was, "What, is someone playing horseshoes?" I then remembered I had been carrying a horseshoe since Level 3. I used it and got 5,000 experience points, enough to jump the party two experience levels.
      
I am preternaturally good at horseshoes in real life.
        
There were two stairways down to Level 9, one in the southeast corner and one in the southwest. Both were behind locked brass doors, and I'm relieved I ignored the impulse to discard the key after opening the first door. I only hope I don't need that gold key again because I tossed it a while ago.
       
Does every sentence have to end in an exclamation point!?
        
Most levels have offered a hint to what I imagine is some Spectre Snare (from The Bard's Tale II) sequence at the end game. So far, I have:
    
  • When the time comes . . . prepare for VICTORY!
  • For VICTORY, you must pass through walls!
  • After sensing VICTORY, walk straight . . . Walls must be no barrier! 
  • When walls become barriers on the path to VICTORY, turn left!
  • When you turn left to VICTORY, two steps forward and one step backward!
  • When you step back on the path of VICTORY, walk straight until your spell fails!
          
Then die!
      
These are in the order I received them, and they seem to all fit in that order. I like to think that VICTORY is the name of the dragon.
        
Lots of miscellaneous notes:
     
  • The party reached Level 10 during this session and got occasional inventory upgrades. The game does a good job showing you exact statistics for each item, which I appreciate. But individual combats as well as getting back to a temple are both easy enough that combat feels like a minor annoyance rather than a central part of the game.
      
Weapon statistics. "Efficiency" is the speed of attack.
       
  • Occasionally a new enemy is introduced, but most of the foes you face on a new level are harder variants of the ones you faced on earlier levels. Some of them are differentiated by color, and I don't really know what that means.
      
Most of the enemies I've fought so far.
     
  • Testing with save states shows that there are some fixed combats in the game, but it's otherwise hard to tell them from random ones. Oddly, in most of these fixed combats the number of foes is fixed but the type of foe is randomized.
  • Since "Passwall" is essential to entering certain mandatory areas, it's not possible to win the game without at least one mage. The manual warns you about this. I don't find it unforgivable, but I also don't like it.
  • "Passwall" doesn't work everywhere. There are certain hard walls that it won't penetrate, presumably to keep you from circumventing puzzles and locks. 
      
I guess I'll have to go the long way around.
       
  • Inventory space is becoming a big problem. Each character can only carry 6 items, but 4 of the slots are taken up by weapon, armor, shield, and helmet. Mandatory items like the Ruby things (some of which you cannot equip) and keys take up most of the other ones. You want at least one slot free for equipment that you find after combat, which is the source of most upgrades. I might soon get to a point where I have to sacrifice armor for inventory space.
      
Oryx has only one free inventory slot.
       
  • Another way the game is like The Bard's Tale is that you're forced to pick up useless stuff after a lot of battles, which you then have to go and immediately drop.
       
Thanks. I already have a better one.
       
  • The game only remembers the automap for the last two levels you visited, but fortunately it remembers the things you did on each level, so you don't have to (for instance) open locked doors twice.
 
As I get ready to go to Level 9 (again) and the second half of the game, it feels like too much has happened in the first half. I have 5 of 7 Ruby items all but one of the game's spells ("Viper"). "Passwall" means that navigational puzzles don't hit as hard as they otherwise would. Overall, it just feels like too much happened in the first half to sustain 8 more levels. Maybe I'm in for a surprise.
   
Time so far: 12 hours
     
*****
    
I was paralyzed. Pick your favorite caption:
   
  • "I guess the long night has come."
  • "This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end."
  • "I guess it's time for Irene to take over this blog while I do the housework."
  • "Am I losing control or am I winning?" 
  • "I just hope Grant Ward and Skye end up together."

21 comments:

  1. He, now I feel compelled to live up to my blog commenter handle and reputation ;-).

    But I don‘t need to search much to find a link to your thoughts on mapping - you‘ve done that yourself, recently, when answering a commenter who lectured you on (not properly) mapping ‚Alternate Reality: The City‘:
    https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2016/02/revisiting-alternate-reality-city-1985.html?showComment=1727718314351&m=1#c4198533244578092561.

    Besides those two paragraphs in the Wiz IV entry you linked, there are of course other passages spread throughout the blog where you profess your fondness for mapping. Starting in the very first month of this blog‘s life in an entry about the original ‘Wizardry‘:
    https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2010/02/wizardry-going-slow-mapping.html.

    Other examples include your introduction to EoB II (swan song to tile-based games, https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2018/01/game-278-eye-of-beholder-ii-legend-of.html) or this last February when talking about the same topic regarding ‘Shadow of Yserbius‘ (https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2024/02/the-shadow-of-yserbius-and-maps-have.html).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busca, I praise your industriousness; if I'd been looking for Chester's praise of maps I'd have pasted this link:

      https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/

      I think this really is a big reason why I'm more of a roguelike/puzzle game/tactics game* player than a CRPG addict. I like exploring maps but I don't like making maps. Switching back and forth from what I'm doing to note-taking completely throws me off task. I've been playing a lot of Legerdemain and you need to visit every corner, but if the map didn't fill in automatically as you do it I wouldn't have made it out of the first dungeon.

      I fully accept Chester's judgment on this subject as expressed in the CRPG Glossary entry for Automap:

      An in-game map that is slowly filled in (and sometimes annotated) as the player explores the game world. Alternately, the dividing line between games that asked players to put in a little effort versus those that just expect them to look at the screen and drool. Useful for culling players whose opinions may be dismissed without further consideration. Example: "'I would never play a game without an automap,' said the slack-jawed lummox as he temporarily put down his controller to reach for another handful of Doritos.

      (by the way if anyone else is playing/has played Legerdemain I would love to talk because I am once again roughly at the stage of "It feels like I've been playing for a while and I know I'm very early in the game and I'm not sure if I've missed an obvious way to open something up." Would happily take this to the roguelike Discord or something.)

      *things like Slice & Dice, Into the Breach

      Delete
    2. Matt, you linked to the front page of my blog. Is that an error, or are you trying to say that I talk about the subject so much that a more specific link isn't even necessary?

      Thanks, Busca, for the research.

      Delete
    3. That was indeed the joke---hard to imagine a longtime reader of the blog not knowing that you like mapping.

      Delete
    4. I've played a bit of Legerdemain, but it's been a minute. I'd have to fire up the game again to have any idea what you're talking about.

      Delete
  2. And now to something completely different - a pitiful try at converting your caption to a rap song:

    I like big rooms and I can not lie
    You other brothers can't deny
    That when a room comes round with a big amount of space
    And no walls up in your face
    You get sprung.

    I’ll show myself out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clap. Clap. Clap. Ha! That was pretty danged good!

      Delete
    2. Not bad, Busca, referencing Sir Mix-a-Lot but a bit old school, here's the DMX version for shaking things up a little:

      Big room, big room,
      map it all out!
      Small room, small room,
      map it all out!
      Steps, stairs and corridors,
      map it all out!
      My homie likes to map,
      and that's what it's all about!

      Delete
    3. I had the same idea. With an assist from GPT4, I offer:

      I like big rooms and I cannot lie,
      You other gamers might deny,
      But when a dungeon drops in with a grid-map face,
      And a pixelated space in a strategic place,
      I get sprung, wanna explore 'round the corner,
      Check the tiles, yeah, I’m a mapper’s adorner.
      I’m hooked and I can’t stop this feeling,
      In every corner, there’s treasure I’m revealing.

      By, I guess, Sir Maps-A-Lot.

      Delete
  3. "I just hope Grant Ward and Skye end up together."
    been watching Agents of Shield?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The parts about "Never do anything right!" and the Zoom Tube are weirdly familiar. I must have played this game a bit more than I realized, i.e. at all -- maybe I rented it as a kid?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chet, I know you don't like posts that try to ADD games to your list instead of removing them, and this is such a post. And it isn't even about an RPG... So feel free to skip!

    That said, if you ever run out of games that require mapping, and you desperately need a good dose of mapping, you may consider playing Castle Master.

    That's an old game for the Amiga, Atari ST and various other platforms. Granted, it's not an RPG, its maps aren't regular and it's not even a gridded game, but it's one of the purest mapping experiences that I know. It's all about exploring the titular castle to reach your goal (rescue your sibling), and since the castle is such a lovely designed place it makes for a great game in my opinion. But alas, no levels or stats in sight...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A feature of this game (which I’m not sure if you mentioned it in the prior entry) is that it supported four players simultaneously, each taking the role of a character and … mashing A I guess. Gauntlet 2 was a much better four player dungeon crawl for NES.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Despite the boring combat in this game, I do appreciate the thought that went into the level designs, and that there are non-combat encounters like the horseshoe. That obviously isn't remarkable for someone who at this point has played the first five Might & Magic games, but there are some incredibly bland dungeon crawlers out there, especially on the NES.

    And I always loved Interplay's monster art, although I understand why it wouldn't make much a difference to you. The zombies in this game freaked me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About that horseshoe, is that some kind of game? I don't understand why a pole makes one think of a horseshoe. Googling pole and horseshoe brought up a game called beerbee or Polish horseshoe, but I don't see the connection with the puzzle in Swords and Serpents.

      Delete
    2. Didier: yes, in horseshoes there is a stake in the ground and you try to throw a horseshoe so it goes around the stake. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoes_(game)

      Notable for being a game in which you can get points (though not as many) for being closest to the stake, hence the expression "close only counts in horseshoes," often "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." Which does not seem relevant to this game but there it is anyway!

      I expect that "Polish horseshoes" is so-called because it's kind of like horseshoes, but sillier. Along the lines of "Polish jokes" which are out of fashion I hope, there used to be a joke form in the US based on the idea that Polish people are stupid, though I think it has been a long time since these stereotypes were very widespread in the US in any other form.

      Delete
  8. > Does every sentence have to end in an exclamation point!?
    YES!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kirk: What, this? Huh, I guess it is more-or-less a crown... And it does have all those rubies on it. We have been looking for a ruby crown this whole time? Really? OK, well, you can have it, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The automap looks exactly like the M&M2 automap. (Well, yellow-red instead of blue.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. > From here, I'll just cover level by level until I hit 2,500 words.

    Don't overdo it with too much motivation!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments about the material in this blog, and I generally do not censor them. However, please follow these rules:

1. DO NOT COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY. If you do not want to log in or cannot log in with a Google Account, choose the "Name/URL" option and type a name (you can leave the URL blank). If that doesn't work, use the "Anonymous" option but put your name of choice at the top of the entry.

2. Do not link to any commercial entities, including Kickstarter campaigns, unless they're directly relevant to the material in the associated blog posting. (For instance, that GOG is selling the particular game I'm playing is relevant; that Steam is having a sale this week on other games is not.) This also includes user names that link to advertising.

3. Please avoid profanity and vulgar language. I don't want my blog flagged by too many filters. I will delete comments containing profanity on a case-by-case basis.

4. I appreciate if you use ROT13 for explicit spoilers for the current game and upcoming games. Please at least mention "ROT13" in the comment so we don't get a lot of replies saying "what is that gibberish?"

5. Comments on my blog are not a place for slurs against any race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or mental or physical disability. I will delete these on a case-by-case basis depending on my interpretation of what constitutes a "slur."

Blogger has a way of "eating" comments, so I highly recommend that you copy your words to the clipboard before submitting, just in case.

I read all comments, no matter how old the entry. So do many of my subscribers. Reader comments on "old" games continue to supplement our understanding of them. As such, all comment threads on this blog are live and active unless I specifically turn them off. There is no such thing as "necro-posting" on this blog, and thus no need to use that term.

I will delete any comments that simply point out typos. If you want to use the commenting system to alert me to them, great, I appreciate it, but there's no reason to leave such comments preserved for posterity.

I'm sorry for any difficulty commenting. I turn moderation on and off and "word verification" on and off frequently depending on the volume of spam I'm receiving. I only use either when spam gets out of control, so I appreciate your patience with both moderation tools.