Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Enchantasy: The Quest for the Eternal Grimoire: Won! (with Summary and Rating)

  
This is perhaps the most backhanded reward I've ever received.
       
Enchantasy: The Quest for the Eternal Grimoire
United States
EGA Computing (developer); Orion Innovations (original publisher); Point of View Software (later publisher); also published as shareware.
Versions released between 1993 (maybe 1992) and 1996 for DOS
Date Started: 8 July 2024
Date Ended: 3 October 2024
Total Hours: 47
Difficulty: Moderate (3.0/5)
Final Rating: (to come later)
Ranking at time of posting: (to come later)   
         
An enjoyable independent game inspired by Ultima V, Enchantasy takes you on a tiled, iconographic quest to recover the Eternal Grimoire to confront a nebulous evil. The plot and quest are interesting, and the game adopts some of the best elements of Ultima when it comes to NPC dialogue and combat. Most RPG mechanics stall around the half-way mark, however, leaving the balance of the game as a series of adventure-style item puzzles and fetch quests.
    
*****
        
What a stupid place for me to have ended my last entry. I could have wrapped it up in another four paragraphs. All I had left was the final battle.
   
When I last wrote, the party had the Eternal Grimoire in hand and was heading to Xanoc's castle to defeat him, rescue the prince, and end the threat once and for all. The endgame began when we arrived on the Isle of the Dead and marched to Xanoc's castle, ringed by mountains.
     
Ideally, you'd want the castle on top of a mountain, I'd think.
     
The front door was magically locked, but a spell took care of that. As we entered the foyer, Xanoc's voice taunted us: "Soon you will be dead and the Grimoire will be mine!" It did feel a bit irresponsible to bring it right to him. Flames erupted as we explored the various rooms, requiring the Scroll of Flames to calm them, although we learned to avoid them in the first place by walking the perimeters of the rooms.
   
We fought battles with various groups of guards and twisted creatures as we explored. The dungeon was generous with "MP Manna" (full MP recharge) potions, so I was generous with "Thunderclap," which did 27 damage with the Grimoire in hand. 
      
Finds like this meant that we didn't have to hold back.
     
The corners of the castle had locked doors with ladders on the other side, suggesting additional floors, but none of these rooms were accessible, and I suspect they were just there for show.
       
We'll never learn where those ladders go.
     
We explored the east and west wings first and found the prison in one of them. The Prince--I never did find out his name--was behind one of the doors. He offered that Xanoc planned to kill us, take the Grimoire, and rule Savallia. He encouraged us to use the tome to defeat the evil wizard. "He lies through the door north of the castle entrance," he finished, before running off to return to the Royal Castle. I was surprised by this. Something someone had said--I can't find the comment right now--made me assume that when I found the Prince, he would join the party.
    
What is your name?!
      
The north door led to a series of small rooms with barrels. Again, these were generous with potions. Duke Hawthorne met us in one of the rooms, wasted a party of "death guards" on us, then attacked us himself. A few spells and arrows later, he was dead.
       
It's the "hahahaha" that really sells it.
        
Xanoc continued to taunt us as we moved forward, and he kept casting fire fields in our path. He finally attacked us with a bunch of "X guards" and elite archers. It was a tough battle because in addition to mass-damage spells, Xanoc was capable of healing himself. He also had a couple of actions per round and was immune to most spells. It took us a couple of reloads before we got lucky with fewer mass-damage spells from his fingertips, allowing us to kill him before he killed us. I should mention that the Mystic Bow was extremely valuable in these final battles, but I never employed the Mystic Sword because it would have taken too many rounds to even get in melee range.
       
Xanoc and his army.

Xanoc is immune to poison.
      
The game had an additional surprise after we defeated him: We hadn't actually defeated him. He popped up in the next room, taunted us, and attacked again with the same group of companions as before. The battle was as difficult as before for the same reasons. Again, we prevailed, but just barely.
     
Fixing ourselves after the second battle.
     
Rudimon gated in as we neared the final door to Xanoc's throne room. He healed our party (which duplicated what I had already done) and had a little speech:
        
I am very proud of you, my young apprentice! I am proud of you all!! You have vanquished the evil from Savallia and gained control once again of the Eternal Grimoire. Your task is now completed. I always knew you would succeed! We'll meet later at the Royal Castle. 
             
How come I don't have the "Teleport In and Out of Places" spell?
       
But when we continued forward into the throne room, there was Xanoc, alive again through unknown means. He delivered a Trandle Oratory:
        
Well . . . it seems my plans have failed . . . temporarily, that is. He who is the possessor of the power of the Eternal Grimoire shall rule the world! And, rest assured, one day the Grimoire will be mine! This is not over yet . . . It has only just begun. HAHAHAHAHA!
      
Xanoc and Hawthorne have the same sense of humor, it seems.
   
The game fortunately did not make us retrace our steps back to the Royal Castle; it took us there automatically. There was a fun ending sequence--I'm always a sucker for these--that featured every NPC icon in the game. Even RICH9000 showed up. The four characters stood before Rudimon, the Prince, and his girlfriend, Jennifer, with every NPC icon in the game watching the proceedings. Rudimon gave my Level 65 character "the full title of Mage" and appointed me to the Mage Council. I don't know what my friends got. Hopefully, they were at least able to keep their magic weapons.
    
"The Prince and Jennifer were wed and became the King and Queen of Savallia," the game informed me. "All of the hideous creatures suddenly disappeared from the land." The Eternal Grimoire was given over to the Mage Council. 
      
Geologists are particularly happy with the endgame.
     
The final screen is author Erick Abel's dedication to his daughter, Jennifer, who died in 1988 at age 14. As we discussed in a previous entry, Erick ("Ricky") Abel himself died in 2022 at age 70 (making him about 39 when he wrote Enchantasy). His obituary mentions a son, Kyle, who died in infancy. He had two other children. Despite a clear intent to make a sequel to Enchantasy, it sounds like this was his only game. 
    
Sadness tinges the game's final celebration.
      
Enchantasy was a well-structured, well-programmed, competent game. I appreciate its intricate plot, its lack of goofiness, its side quests, and many of its mechanics. There were problems with other mechanics, and with pacing and length, but overall I admire what Abel accomplished and would have encouraged him to make the sequel. Abel is one of the few developers who was capable of adapting the best elements of the tiled, iconographic approach. Ultima V remains the highest-rated game on my blog, and I don't think enough has been done with its interface--not by Origin, which never liked to use the same engine twice, nor by the industry's many cloners, who for simplicity's sake seemed to prefer the earlier Ultimas.
    
Here's the GIMLET:
    
  • 5 points for the game world. It's a little derivative, but it makes up for that with a greater amount of depth and breadth than we typically get. NPCs and books impart a sense of history and lore, and there are some minor ways in which the game world evolves with the player's actions.
  • 2 points for character creation and development. That's almost all for development, since there's no creation. Leveling, training, and acquiring new spells are rewarding up to a point, but about mid-game, the game stops giving you any rewards for both higher experience levels and higher skill levels.
      
My statistics at the end of the game.
     
  • 4 points for NPC interaction. I always like keyword-based dialogues and visible, persistent NPCs who speak in paragraphs and have personalities. I wouldn't have minded more role-playing opportunities or some karma system to give more weight to the interactions.
  • 3 points for encounters and foes. Enemies are just icons, really, except that some have bows and magic. Most of the credit here goes to puzzles and non-combat encounters, which were occasionally fun.
  • 4 points for magic and combat. A gridded, tactical interface is usually what I want from this kind of game. Enchantasy replicates Ultima V fairly well in that regard. I could have used more spells (although I did enjoy the various exploration spells), and the whole thing got more pointless as the game went on.
      
From the battle with Duke Hawthorne.
      
  • 3 points for equipment. There are a few weapon and armor slots, and one thing I like is that the game offers clear "weapon strength" and "armor strength" statistics. On the other hand, the acquisition of gear was a little too linear and predictable.
  • 3 points for the economy, which was tight and rewarding for the first third of the game and meant nothing after that.
  • 4 points for quests, including a main quest and several side quests (e.g., the Mystic Bow and Mystic Sword) that earned experience or gear. There were no role-playing opportunities or choices during these quests, alas.
  • 3 points for graphics, sound, and inputs. Aside from the beautiful title screen, I found the graphics functional enough but nothing special. I felt the same way about sound. I found the keyboard interface easy to master, particularly with the comments offered on-screen.
  • 4 points for gameplay. It earns credit for its nonlinear approach and its medium challenge. I would not call it "replayable" since there are no alternate choices to make, and I would have preferred it to come in at closer to 25 hours.
    
On the last point, I was never exactly bored with the game, but it doesn't keep a good balance of plot and mechanics through the end. It starts out with an enjoyable quest, combat, economy, character development, and so forth, but the last 15 hours are all just about the quest. Still, it's hard to do well, and I'm not going to come down too hard on an independent developer for not getting it right when many AAA games of the modern age make the same mistake.
     
Although I didn't engineer it that way, I like that the final total comes to 35, the rough threshold at which I consider a game "recommended." It has its flaws, but it deserves to be better remembered than it is. Except for my own victory and RandomGamer's, I can't find much evidence that anyone else has seen it through to the end.
 
The Internet Archive's hopefully-temporary outage has put the kibosh on a lot of the other stuff I'd normally do at this point, such as search one more time for any magazine mentions or take a final look at Erick Abel's old AOL page about the game. Perhaps I'll post an addendum later. For now, pleasant journeys, Mr. Abel. Your magnum opus lives on.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations, and we have an Ultima clone that actually is recommended.

    Here is another shareware title inspired by Ultima that is missing on your master list: Dungeon Explorer (1990) for DOS (not the one for PC Engine). Unfortunately it doesn't look as interesting as Enchantasy, as the game play video shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SN_yjCNWdI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! As with ‘Antepenult’, it’s nice to see an apparently lesser-known or at least -played and finished decent to good Ultima clone given this coverage.

    A bit OT, but I fail to understand why someone would attack the Internet Archive. Stealing user data is something you also see elsewhere, though I guess they would be more profitable in other places. But who gains something from bringing it down repeatedly through DDoS attacks, hampering its archiving functions and preventing millions from using it? This is a non-profit and I doubt music companies or editors have hired thugs to take it down while they battle in court, but who?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

      Delete
  3. You forgot the ending to Beyond Zork when it comes to "ludicrously-lousy titles" - "Level 0 Male Novice."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if anyone has commented on this, but this game appears to have an unusual combination PC text mode and tiled graphics where tiles are not aligned with text mode character boundaries. I wonder if this is some more rarely used standard mode or if some advanced trickery was used to switch between the modes on fly when painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This game looks older but it's a DOS game from 1993. It's been decades since I did Turbo Pascal programming on DOS, but IIRC it was pretty simple to display text at arbitrary positions in graphics mode. I wouldn't be surprised if this was developed in Turbo Pascal, if not it probably used some other UI toolkit. If all the graphics code was developed specifically for the game, the menus wouldn't look as out of place.

      Delete
    2. I looked a bit more into it. It's EGA 640x350 16 colors. Wikipedia says it was rarely used by commercial games but more by shareware/freeware titles. Maybe that's why it looked unusual to me.

      Delete
  5. I feel that in this game keyword-based dialogues are a lie, since it is really heavy-handed about what keyword should be given to whom, to the point of redundancy. Also, I mentally deducted points for the stupid quest sequence at the end.

    Otherwise, I'm in agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice writeup. Long time lurker, seldom commenter. Off topic, but yeah, I wish Archive would get back up soon. I audio record a ton of live local bands and have a backlog of about 15 sets that I've not been able to upload. First world problems. Keep up the good writing Chet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the record, when someone else mentioned the final dedication earlier, I spent a little time looking around and it seems Jennifer Abel died of cystic fibrosis. (There was an article about Rick's mother mentioning that she had a granddaughter who died of cystic fibrosis.) So a cystic fibrosis charity might be another good place to send the shareware fee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another note: I ended the game at around level 22, give or take. I think this is where it was meant to end; you obviously overgrinded at some point. With this approach, the economy stopped mattering about 2/3rds into the game (right around the time of long and annoying Grimoire map quest), the rewards never stopped (if anything, extra levels allowed me to finally explore First Aid skill, which turned out to be very useful), and the combat progressed nicely.

    This being said, I found that the game did fall into goofiness with Oasis Club, needless aliens and the map quest, and I feel that the keyword system added absolutely nothing.

    With respect to other limitations, it is a prime example of a game where the sole dev didn't bite more than he could chew. Even the gold digging mechanic didn't seem to work that great - however, the dev wisely didn't chose to go further.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments about the material in this blog, and I generally do not censor them. However, please follow these rules:

1. DO NOT COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY. If you do not want to log in or cannot log in with a Google Account, choose the "Name/URL" option and type a name (you can leave the URL blank). If that doesn't work, use the "Anonymous" option but put your name of choice at the top of the entry.

2. Do not link to any commercial entities, including Kickstarter campaigns, unless they're directly relevant to the material in the associated blog posting. (For instance, that GOG is selling the particular game I'm playing is relevant; that Steam is having a sale this week on other games is not.) This also includes user names that link to advertising.

3. Please avoid profanity and vulgar language. I don't want my blog flagged by too many filters. I will delete comments containing profanity on a case-by-case basis.

4. I appreciate if you use ROT13 for explicit spoilers for the current game and upcoming games. Please at least mention "ROT13" in the comment so we don't get a lot of replies saying "what is that gibberish?"

5. Comments on my blog are not a place for slurs against any race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or mental or physical disability. I will delete these on a case-by-case basis depending on my interpretation of what constitutes a "slur."

Blogger has a way of "eating" comments, so I highly recommend that you copy your words to the clipboard before submitting, just in case.

I read all comments, no matter how old the entry. So do many of my subscribers. Reader comments on "old" games continue to supplement our understanding of them. As such, all comment threads on this blog are live and active unless I specifically turn them off. There is no such thing as "necro-posting" on this blog, and thus no need to use that term.

I will delete any comments that simply point out typos. If you want to use the commenting system to alert me to them, great, I appreciate it, but there's no reason to leave such comments preserved for posterity.

I'm sorry for any difficulty commenting. I turn moderation on and off and "word verification" on and off frequently depending on the volume of spam I'm receiving. I only use either when spam gets out of control, so I appreciate your patience with both moderation tools.