Friday, October 4, 2024

Betrayal a Bit North of Krondor

 
Locklear name-drops half the title.
      
All right, in previous entries, we had our fun, but now it's time to get to Krondor. The Moredhel is up to something and Prince Arutha needs to know about it. 
   
I saved the last game in the village of Hawk's Hollow. I guess I didn't explore the buildings because the encounters are new to me this time. A man named Lucan invites us into his house and tries to pick Locklear's pocket, but Locklear catches him and forces him to teach the trio about picking locks, which increases our abilities. A paranoid resident demands to examine our hands before telling us to be alert for scrolls. It's late, so we stay at the Dusty Dwarf Inn, which otherwise has the usual services. After this night, we're finally back to full health and stamina.
    
We head west along the main road, looking for the road south that will lead us to Krondor. We're soon attacked by two Moredhel warriors, who we dispatch while taking a little damage.
         
And our statistics improve!
      
Further along, we come to a shop where Locklear mistakes the pieces of armor hanging from the rafters for body parts. We all (I assume) have a good laugh at his expense. It turns out to be a repair shop run by a gnome named Joseph the Animal. I'm not sure what use he is. He won't repair weapons, and we're capable of getting armor to around 85% on our own. Even though we're doing pretty well with money these days, we leave without getting any help.
      
Locklear is kind of an idiot.
      
A few observations about travel as we move on:
    
  • Nighttime comes fast, especially if you're frequently pausing to, say, write blog notes.
  • It would be nice if the game didn't decide on its own to spin me around so often.
  • There's something off about the speed of turning or the visual feedback associated with turning. I routinely turn what appears from the view window to be 90 degrees but which registers on the compass as only half that.
  • The button that has you automatically follow the main road is useful, but I worry it discourages exploration, like most "fast travel" systems.
  • It's a lot faster and easier to move in the map view, but you miss things.
           
Cruising along using the automap.
       
We next encounter the Temple of Killian on the north side of the road. Like I guess all temples, it has a teleporter. We can take it to the only other temple we've visited, the Temple of Ishap, which would cost 85 sovereigns. That seems like a lot to go up the road, but I like the idea of having to pay for fast travel in general.
    
Three more Moredhel attack before we come to the southern turn, where we have to carefully navigate a trap. Locklear concludes from the complexity of the trap that Delekhan, the Moredhel general, is mobilizing spies already placed within the kingdom (rather than simply following us from the north). Gorath objects that word of his escape could only have traveled as fast as we have, to which Owyn suggests the possibility that Delekhan is using "mind speech" to communicate over long distances. Gorath replies that Owyn's hypothesis would fit with what he heard about some of the magicians surrounding Delekhan, including one named Nago.
    
I'm mostly able to ignore the graphics, but every so often it hits me all over again how ridiculous Owyn looks.
      
The Bitter Sea appears to our west as we continue south. We soon find yet another Moredhel box: "The light one breaks but never falls. His brother falls but never breaks." I figure this out partly by the riddle and partly by the available letters. (DAY) breaks but never falls and (NIGHT) falls but never breaks. It's cute. I've never heard it before, but I guess it's an old one, as plenty of web sites offer it with no reference to Krondor. The chest has a "Flamecast" scroll, 57 royals, and a torch.
      
Ocean in view. Oh, the joy.
     
On the way southeast, we encounter:
   
  • A party of three Moredhel.
  • A guy named Chanty living in a house alone. Although he talks with us at first, he becomes suspicious, slams the door, and won't answer it again.
  • An empty house
  • Another party of three Moredhel. We get the jump on them, and Owyn softens them up with "Flamecast."
  • Another Moredhel chest: "A precious gift, this, yet it has no end or beginning, and in the middle, nothing." I want it to be DONUT, but it only has four letters. (RING), clearly. It has a couple of shells and 28 royals.
  • "Though easy to spot, when allowed to plum, it is hard to see, when held in a room." I get it (SMOKE) mostly from the letters. 
    
We come to the town of Questor's View just as night is falling. I'm hoping for an inn, as we're pretty beat up again, and it fortunately has one: Babon's Hostel. I pay for some food and drink and we talk to some non-consequential NPCs before going to bed. The next morning, we explore the rest of the town. A resident gives us some rations for the road, and we decline to pay a sword trainer's fee of 75 sovereigns.
     
He's talking about a bird. This is somehow the only screenshot I took between the Temple of Killian and Questor's View. Either something went wrong with my CTRL key or I just got really immersed in the game.
     
Roads go north and south from Questor's View. The north road will take us back up to our starting point or let us reach Krondor through a clockwise trip through Eggley and Tanneurs. An NPC had previously suggested we avoid this road, but Locklear had also suspected that a psychic named Devon in Eggley might be the one communicating with the Moredhel general through mind magic. It's a tough call, but I decide to head directly south. In some later chapter, I'll exhaustively explore everything there is to do. For now, I want to get on with the plot.
      
Not all NPCs are useful.
     
We get attacked again by Moredhel. They tend to have archers these days, which adds a new challenge--one I usually negate with Owyn's "Despair Thy Eyes" spell. A farmer named Rowe meets us on the road and tells us of a terrible storm on its way; he offers to let us wait it out in his barn, though without Gorath ("I don't take in elves"). Locklear negotiates a rate of 10 gold pieces plus milking his cows in the morning. I'm annoyed by the offer, and the game hasn't shown any signs of having a weather system so far, so I decline. No inclement weather appears as we head south, even when we rest for a couple of days, so he was either trying to scam us or kill us. 
        
This is exactly how I pictured it in the book.
       
After another battle, we reach the city of Sarth, a menu fortress that I remember from Silverthorn. Unfortunately, the place offers no services, only a library where we can read several books that offer hints as to the mechanics of the game. There's no one to talk with in the fortress, but on the way out of town, we run into Brother Marc tending a field. He offers to train Owyn in magic for 50 sovereigns, which we accept. He also confirms there is no storm in the forecast, and he says that Rowe has been acting weird since his wife died. Marc also says he's been getting "dream sendings" with Gorath's face from an unknown source that must be close by.
    
The guy playing Brother Marc looks exactly like Dave Barry.
      
We are agonizingly close to Krondor, but I feel now like I'm meant to solve this "dream sending" quest, so we reluctantly turn around and head back north. On the way, we encounter Rowe again but have no new dialogue options. Now I'm curious what he's all about, so I accept his offer. He tells us his barn is pretty far to the south. "Knock on the door and my wife will fix you up." We already know his wife is dead, and his barn is now in the opposite direction that I want to travel. After some more dithering, I decide to see this encounter through and then reach Eggley by looping around from the south rather than continuing north.
    
On the way, we find a Moredhel chest (I forgot to write down the riddle) with 32 sovereigns, a shell, a suit of armor in near perfect condition, and an Amulet of the Upright Man, which adds 12% to my "Lockpick" skill. We stop at the Temple of Sung after that and unlock another teleporter. The priests are unable to sleep because of the "dream sending," which they think is "very close by."
         
My growing fast-travel options.
      
As we move south, we keep getting attacked by pirates, who Marc had warned us recently landed on the coast. Eventually, we reach Rowe's barn. As we enter, four Moredhel assassins apparate in front of our very eyes. One of them is a sorcerer, Nago, the very "dream sender" that Gorath told us about. 
      
It sounds like the other chapters' bosses will be anti-climactic.
         
There's no way to avoid surprise in the ensuing battle, which features three warriors and a mage who relentlessly blasts Owyn with "Flamecast" spells. After dying the first time, I buff with what limited potions I have and try again, this time concentrating on the mage first. I'm able to win, but with a lot of damage. The reward is 50 sovereigns, a two-handed broadsword, five "icers" that let you magically treat blades to do ice damage, and a note suggesting that the Moredhel have been placing fake notes concerning an attack to the south of Tanneurs in various chests.
 
I prepare to blind Nago.
            
In the aftermath, the party discusses whether Rowe had anything to do with the attack. "I think that bastard farmer set us up," Locklear opines. "He'd best have been paid well for his betrayal." The betrayal has happened! In the first chapter!
       
Funny how I haven't noticed anything while camping at night.
        
If Nago was the "dream sender," that means that the information I got about him being in Eggley were false or, more likely, I confused two different things. Just to be sure, I head back to the Temple of Sung. The priests confirm that the dreams have stopped. When the high priest credits this to the power of prayer, Gorath and Owyn bristle and inform the priest that in fact we solved the problem. As a reward, the priest teaches Owyn . . . well, I'm not sure. When I check my spells, he has "Gift of Sung" and "Hocho's Haven," neither of which I remember having before. Either he taught both or I picked up one somewhere else. Obviously, the "Gift of Sung" makes the most sense. 
    
Now able to smell Krondor, we run south and blunder into three more pirates, then two more, then three pirates and two Moredhel. I don't know why these pirates are involved, but they really don't want us to reach Krondor. I have plenty of rations, so I'm resting liberally between battles to restore health and stamina. We're able to surprise them in the last battle, fortunately, and I have Owyn start with a full-powered "Flamecast," which kills one of them right away and damages three others. Fortunately, they don't reach us during their turn that round, and I'm able to hit them with "Flamecast" a second time.
       
"Flamecast" damages everyone within two squares, so if I hit that center guy, it should damage everyone except the guy to the far right.
        
Finally, we reach the final approach to the city. Although the game suggests that there might be more assassins ahead, we're able to reach it without another battle. 
       
It's odd how I'm narrating this game in the present tense but the game insists on using the past tense.
     
Before heading to the palace, we unload some of our excess items in shops and visit the Rainbow Parrot Inn. Finally, we go to enter the palace and find that we can't because the gate mechanism is broken. Even worse, the guard that we're able to talk to through the broken portcullis refuses to go fetch anyone who will be helpful. Prince Arutha is in a meeting with Pug and Makala. Seigneur James is missing. The guard says the only way to enter is to go through the sewers beneath the city. This seems awfully contrived.
        
No. I'm ready to go back and climb over the fence or wait until the prince's meeting with Pug is over. It's not going to last multiple days, is it?
        
No sooner have we entered the sewers than a boy named Limm (who the gate guard mentioned) appears and warns us against walking the "thieves' road." When he understands we're friends with people he knows, he offers to sell us lockpicks for 25 gold pieces. I have several sets, though, so I decline.
  
Hugging the right wall, it's a while before we reach the next encounter--a chest that blows up in our faces when we try to open it. It damages us so badly that I reload rather than trying to recover from it. I can't remember how to search for traps, or if indeed there's even a way to choose to search for them, but in investigating my new spells, I discover that "Scent of Sarig" allows you to see trapped chests for 12 hours. It works, and we're able to deactivate it, earning 21 sovereigns and 88 royals.
       
Some thieves guard a ladder.
     
After several battles with groups of 2 or 3 thieves, we come to a ladder heading up. We try to take it, but the grate at the top is locked and I can't pick it. This happens in a couple more places.
       
Maybe I should have gotten more training.
     
A battle with three black-clad figures leaves us badly wounded. Shortly afterwards, we meet Seigneur James, a main character from the novels. Originally a street thief known as "Jimmy the Hand," he moves up in the world after he helps Prince Arutha on a few missions. He's part of the party who finds the Silverthorn in the second book, and one sequence from that novel is one of the better narratives I've read told from a thief's point of view. In the following dialogue, Locklear mentions that the group of black-clad figures were "Nighthawks," an assassin's guild, but James says that they're impostors: "Someone has been trying to convince Prince Arutha that the Guild of Death has reestablished operations here in Krondor," possibly to incite the city guard to clear the thieves out of the sewers. Locklear fills James in on our adventures and quest, and James gives us a key to the grates.
     
Your "bump of trouble"?
      
The key doesn't fit the first grate we try it on, so we have to keep exploring. We fight a few more thief battles (it would have been nice if Jimmy had spread the word that we were cool) before we finally find the "correct" ladder and head up to the palace.
      
Prince Arutha and Pug greet the weary trio.
       
Chapter 1 ends with the characters complaining about their noxious experience in the sewers as they blunder into Prince Arutha and Pug. After an exchange of pleasantries, Locklear explains to the prince what we've discovered about the Moredhel and their activities. In a lightly-animated sequence, Gorath drops his hood to the prince's astonishment. Before Locklear can explain, a Moredhel assassin appears in the chamber and fires an arrow, which Pug destroys in-flight with a fireball. The fireball continues past the arrow and slays the assassin, and suddenly we're in Chapter 2: "Shadow of the Nighthawks."
       
The exciting end to the first chapter.
         
At the end of the first chapter, I find myself liking the game but not quite understanding why it's so many commenters' favorite. The story and text are good, sure, but the way that they're narrated in the past tense enhances the perception that the player is just ferrying the characters between plot points rather than actively participating in the story's development. The lack of options during dialogues and encounters also feeds this perception. It annoyed me, for instance, that I couldn't avoid the obvious ambush even though I, as a player, figured it out long before I entered the barn. The combat system is fine, but only fine, and the equipment system feels a little under-developed.
   
Perhaps the best part of the game is the open game world. I took advantage of part of it, but I certainly could have explored more, earned more money, perhaps found better gear, paid for more training, and earned more experience. Since I have a saved game from the bottom of the ladder: Do you think I've accomplished enough for Chapter 1, or should I head back outside and see what adventures await in some of the eastern cities?
     
Time so far: 13 hours  

22 comments:

  1. Depends on what you want. If playing to minmax, definitely explore more. If 'roleplaying', what you did is good enough. You could also split the difference and explore the Eggley/ Tanneurs path to Krondor, which is a viable alternate path that avoids the tough Nago fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I seem to remember that the reason there are so many pirates closer to Krondor is simply that there aren't a lot of moredhel that far south in the Kingdom, so Nago had to hire local mercenaries to fill in the gaps. I swear there was a note somewhere that talks about it, but I may be misremembering (it might also only be a point brought up in the novelization).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger ate my previous comment and I apparently only reposted the second bit, but I had said that there's not a whole lot of content in chapter 1 that you can't also see in Chapter 2 other than maybe some dialogue, so if you want to progress then I don't think you'll miss anything super interesting.

      Delete
  3. It could be that such a rich story and the feeling of playing a book was enough to have players thinking it was exceptional in 1993. Is it a plus that the story is told to you and not relaying on the players imagination to fill out the parts not told or depicted?

    And maybe it´s just a case of rose tinted nostalgiaglasses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be that it's so good despite being story focused, with solid game mechanics. It has good exploration, decent combat, character advancement and items, and excellent puzzles.
      And even I who read lots of books and never play a game "for the story" thought the writing in the game was pretty good.
      So an all round solid game.

      Delete
  4. Damn, I always headed straight to Krondor every time I tried to play this game (and then had great troubles with later chapters - I think my party was constantly underleveled as a result).

    As to the questions why it's many's favourite... It might be that for many it was their first, or one of the first RPGs, like for me? In 90's computer user base expanded greatly.

    Also, I think Krondor was one of the first, hm, more "user-friendly" RPGs out there. I remember trying to play Bard's Tale, Gold Box, Might & Magic and Ultima in my childhood, but I could never understand what was happening in them, and endless labyrinths with same textures everywhere gave me very wrong impression of the genre. Also, I usually got slaughtered in the very first battle - those game are NOT forgiving to a complete novice.

    To be fair, neither is Krondor - I remember replaying the battles on the way to Krondor many, many times before I could reach the end of the first chapter (sewers especially were BRUTAL), but Krondor, at least, had battle UI I could understand intuitively, despite not knowing enough English and not owning any manuals which could explain it to me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. > As to the questions why it's many's favourite... It might be that for many it was their first, or one of the first RPGs, like for me?

      It was not my first RPG by far (I got to it in the late 90es), but it was very memorable to me as well for some reason, even compared to Fallout 2/BG, which I believe I played by that time. Spent more time with it then I expected, largely because very good exploration/combat combo.

      Delete
  5. Credit where credit's due, the location screenshots of Sarth and Krondor are looking gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only tangentially related, but the riddles reminded me of this: On a whiteboard in one of my classroom buildings, someone has written "I point with no fingers, I run with no legs, I strike with no arms. What am I?" and someone else has written "A clock!" and every day I walk past it and think "How does a clock point?"

    A bit of searching suggests that this is a riddle the Riddler asks an NPC (Mori) in Batman: The Enemy Within, and that the NPC doesn't solve it, so maybe it's not supposed to have a straight answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An analog clock points with its hands; the big hand points to the minute and the little hand to the hour.

      Delete
  7. Forgot to hide the answer to this riddle: "Though easy to spot, when allowed to plum, it is hard to see, when held in a room."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should also be "plume" I think.

      Delete
  8. "and we decline to pay a sword trainer's fee of 75 sovereigns"

    But why? It is one of the best upgrades early in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Krondor isn't my favorite game, but I can certainly see the appeal: It's the grandfather of the modern story-heavy RPGs. Of course, it doesn't have the branching narratives of, say, Witcher or Dragon Age - but for early 90s, an RPG with this amount and quality of storytelling was arguably unheard of. You also do have some roleplaying choices - e.g. which path to Krondor to take (and the game reacts to that) - just not dialog choices.
    Krondor arguably also does a better job of mixing a linear narrative with sandboxy free exploration than those later games, which tend to be mechanically a bit thin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a lot of first-hand experience with Betrayal at Krondor, but I remember being suitably impressed with it when I saw it in action on a friend's computer. I think it was because it was so different from the CRPGs I was used to, which, to be fair, were older and arguably more primitive. At any rate, in those days we were all still enthused about the novelty of FMV and graphics that looked like photographs rather than cartoons. Having missed out on, for example, the Gold Box games, I had also never seen a combat system like Krondor's before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Apropos of nothing, is Owyn wearing a rabbit pelt on his head? That was my guess back in '93, but I could never quite figure out if the designers wanted him to look like an idiot or if they were going for something else and just failed spectacularly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The combat system is superior to most RPG's combat systems of that era. Most of all, a quasi open world 3d (with sprites!) first person RPG had barely been done by 1993. UU sure, but BaK is superior to all of UU's qualities in my book.

    Stories in video games, even in 2024, are usually quite bad. I find the Bak story far more interesting than Skyrim, Fallout 4, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say that by "that era" most people would mean "era of VGA graphics or better", which excluded pretty much all SSI D&D titles. UU might have had graphics that were better in some aspects, but its combat was far more simple, for example.

      Delete
  13. Your reaction after Chapter 1 might also be a question of expectation management. As you mentioned yourself, almost from the start of the blog people have been mentioning quite often and regularly how great or at least good BaK is, how much they look forward to you covering it, that they're sure you'll be enjoying it a lot etc. - against that background, it's difficult not to have your expectations rise quite high and hard for the game to fulfil or even exceed them.

    Regarding the content of the entry itself, why does an "Amulet of the Upright Man" add to your "Lockpick" skill? Doesn't sound like something an "upright" man should be needing much of specifically or, said otherwise, if you are a specialist at lockpicking I would not necessarily associate your occupation and character with "upright".

    Also, "Locky"? I assume that's used in the books, too, then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Upright Man is the leader of the thief guild underneath Krondor.

      Delete
  14. "I find myself liking the game but not quite understanding why it's so many commenters' favorite."

    I find it hard to understand that you refuse to accept some peoples point of view. I've seen some rough comments here, which seemingly pissed you off and i guess you deleted a bunch of them. I don't know why they can't put it politely, but you don't really *play* the games, you *work* them.
    You measure the depth of the mechanics and compare the rest to your PoR-patterns or taste about storytelling. But you never seem to get into the games.
    e.g. The dark eye is such a lovely game for many fans, in my memory you cleaned your shoes with it.

    No problem with that, your blog - your rules. No doubt about your good intentions and the tremendous work you serve to us for free. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments about the material in this blog, and I generally do not censor them. However, please follow these rules:

1. DO NOT COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY. If you do not want to log in or cannot log in with a Google Account, choose the "Name/URL" option and type a name (you can leave the URL blank). If that doesn't work, use the "Anonymous" option but put your name of choice at the top of the entry.

2. Do not link to any commercial entities, including Kickstarter campaigns, unless they're directly relevant to the material in the associated blog posting. (For instance, that GOG is selling the particular game I'm playing is relevant; that Steam is having a sale this week on other games is not.) This also includes user names that link to advertising.

3. Please avoid profanity and vulgar language. I don't want my blog flagged by too many filters. I will delete comments containing profanity on a case-by-case basis.

4. I appreciate if you use ROT13 for explicit spoilers for the current game and upcoming games. Please at least mention "ROT13" in the comment so we don't get a lot of replies saying "what is that gibberish?"

5. Comments on my blog are not a place for slurs against any race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or mental or physical disability. I will delete these on a case-by-case basis depending on my interpretation of what constitutes a "slur."

Blogger has a way of "eating" comments, so I highly recommend that you copy your words to the clipboard before submitting, just in case.

I read all comments, no matter how old the entry. So do many of my subscribers. Reader comments on "old" games continue to supplement our understanding of them. As such, all comment threads on this blog are live and active unless I specifically turn them off. There is no such thing as "necro-posting" on this blog, and thus no need to use that term.

I will delete any comments that simply point out typos. If you want to use the commenting system to alert me to them, great, I appreciate it, but there's no reason to leave such comments preserved for posterity.

I'm sorry for any difficulty commenting. I turn moderation on and off and "word verification" on and off frequently depending on the volume of spam I'm receiving. I only use either when spam gets out of control, so I appreciate your patience with both moderation tools.