Thursday, July 18, 2024

Game 524: Enchantasy: The Quest for the Eternal Grimoire (1993)

 
That's a nice title screen for a shareware game.
       
Enchantasy: The Quest for the Eternal Grimoire
United States
EGA Computing (developer); Orion Innovations (publisher) and/or Point of View Software (publisher) and/or published as shareware.
Versions released between 1993 (maybe 1992) and 1996 for DOS
Date Started: 8 July 2024
    
Enchantasy is yet another Ultima clone (with some Magic Candle influence), but at least it's an Ultima V clone. We don't see a lot of those. It doesn't fully replicate the Ultima V interface, but it has the keyword-based dialogue, the tactical combat, and a reasonable attempt at the graphics, including cute touches such as the character sitting in chairs when he walks over them. Commands are all called by a single letter. It doesn't have the object interactivity (e.g., moving things, playing pianos, working clocks) that Ultima V does, but you can't ask for everything.
         
The story begins with a letter.
         
The game is set in a somewhat generic fantasy kingdom called Savallia. The backstory is that you are a wizard's apprentice named Eradan (the name is changeable), abruptly summoned to the Mage Guild of Keldar by Rudimon, the Council Master. The game begins at the gates of the city, where most NPCs tell you that Rudimon is waiting for you. When you find him, he delivers the bad news: After a thousand years of peace (since the Darklord was defeated in the appropriately-named War of the Darklord), monsters and "evil humans" are suddenly roaming everywhere, searching for something, slaughtering innocents along the way, including two retired members of the Mage's Council. Rudimon thinks that they're searching for the Eternal Grimoire, an all-powerful, indestructible spellbook that was corrupted by the Darklord and buried after his defeat. Since the peaceful kingdom lacks any kind of military force, Rudimon instructs you to gather up to three of your friends and start the subtitular quest.

I just want to know if it's a herald of the winged exemplar.
         
There are several mysteries to the game's background:
      
  • Author: The author is given on the title screens as "Rick Abel." The developer, "EGA Computing," stands for Eric G. Abel. I do not know whether "Rick" is a nickname for "Eric" or whether it is a separate person, almost certainly a family member. To add to the confusion, both "Richard Abel" and "Rick Abel" appear among the list of playtesters. [Ed. Mr. Abel spelled his name "Erick" and went by "Rick" or "Ricky." He died in 2022 at the age of 68. The Richard Abel listed as a playtester is his son.]
       
How many Rick Abels are there?
      
  • Publisher: A lot of sites, plus one magazine article, give the publisher as Point of View Software of Irvine, California. The title screens give it as Orion Innovations, a name that belongs to several modern companies, none of which seem to have anything to do with video games. No publisher name appears in any of the files that accompany the game, and it's clear that this release, at least, was shareware. It seems likely that the game went through several publication strategies during its lifetime.
      
Nice logo. The company doesn't otherwise seem to have existed.
      
  • Date: The archived AOL Members web site for the game says that it was first released in 1992. However, it is described as an "upcoming" game from Point of View Software in a January 1993 issue of a computer magazine. The copyright screen says 1991-1996. Whatever the date of the original release, this version is definitely a later one, with the files having modified dates as late as 1996.
  • Character creation: The shareware version won't let you start a new game or create a new character. You have to use the default starting save. I don't know if the registered version allowed you to create a character other than a mage or one with different statistics.
    
The shareware version also comes with a limitation that allows you to save the game 5 times before you have to pay. Nine years ago, commenter VK (before he was "formerly" known as such) sent me instructions for hacking this up to over 32,000. That works, but the game still gives you a bunch of screens demanding that you register every time you save--and you only get one slot. 
        
This is going to get annoying.
      
The default character begins at Level 1 with a strength and dexterity (the only two traditional attributes) of 3, 12 hit points, and 10 magic points. Each character has six skills: weapons, bows, magic, lockpick, language, and first aid. Eradan is oddly proficient in weapons (3), less so in language (2), not so much in magic (1), and not at all in the others. His spellbook starts with "Minor Healing" and "Fireball"; I suspect the game is going to follow the Ultima tradition of conflating arcane and divine magic. The character starts with 95 gold, 3 keys, 10 arrows, and 3 lockpicks.
     
Rudimon has nothing to say except his long exposition, but there are many other NPCs in Keldar:
   
  • Stanton, a visitor who has been to the town many times. 
  • An unnamed woman who is sick and wants some healing ointment.
  • An unnamed woman who wants me to find her little boy, Joey.
       
      
  • Luke, a child and friend of Joey's who says the boy has been missing for about a week. He thinks Joey may have wandered into the dungeon, where monsters got him. He also tells me that a friend of mine said he'd meet me at the Royal Castle, just a little ways down the road.
  • Martha, a woman who suffered an attempted robbery for food at the hands of Harry, a beggar. The game has me interrupt the event, which was kind of interesting. 
       
Ultima never did anything quite like this.
      
  • The aforementioned Harry, who I chase into his house. He says to ask Joe about his story and claims that hunger will make a man do anything. After I hear from Joe, I return, and he says what he stole from Duke Hawthorne is a treasure map that Harry gave to his friend Boris in Tiernan, far to the south.
  • Joe, another beggar hanging around the docks. (He is distinct from "Joey.") He says Harry is hiding out under an assumed name because he stole from Duke Hawthorne and is on the run.
  • Jack, who has recently come back from digging for gold in Jack's Cave. No one in town believes him. I'll need a shovel from the general store if I want to be able to do the same.
  • A guy reading in a library who just admonishes me to be quiet.
  • Penelope, a babysitter for mages, is obsessed with an abandoned house in town. She wants to know where the family went. The house seems to be the one that Harry is squatting in, but I can't get anything out of him about the family.
  • Rockley, who manages the little graveyard. He warns me not to dig.
  • Bonner, who makes reference to a recent pirate raid.
  • Witt, a man staying at the inn who is writing a book about a magical whale north of Kadaar. If you have a fog horn, you can summon the whale and travel to otherwise inaccessible places. Witt thinks the horn is in Udim, far to the south of Keldar, beyond the Forest of No Return. Only residents of Udim know the safe path through the forest.
              
Getting some information about the forest.
       
NPC dialogue works like Ultima IV and V. Everyone responds to NAME and JOB and keywords that they use. Each NPC has a stock response to anything you ask that isn't in their keyword list. It appears you have to type full keywords, not just the first four letters. They often ask yes/no questions or your name.
     
One feature unique to this game is the ability to call up a notes page in the middle of dialogue, either to write down something an NPC tells you or to reference it in another conversation. It saves the results in a file called "GAMENOTE.S" that you can open in a text editor. It's cute, but it takes a while to save each line, and I think I'll probably use an external notepad.
        
An innovative note-taking feature that I probably still won't use.
        
Unlike Ultima V, it doesn't appear that most NPCs go anywhere (in fact, there's no day/night cycle), but they can disappear and appear in other places. For instance, Harry isn't in his house until I foil the robbery.
        
There are also services, including an armory, a wholesaler who has nothing for sale, a training academy, a library (the only book I find is a retelling of "Jack & Jill" called Presley and Pauline), a healer, a temple, a tavern with slot machines, an inn, and ships that travel to the cities of Macino and Hazlett. I buy a staff and cloth robe at the armory and food at the general store; I actually start taking damage from starvation before I find it. I burn about 16 food total just running around town, and I can only afford about 50.
        
I'll have to analyze this more later.
      
I don't see anything that looks like a dungeon entrance within the town, but there are some locked doors. Having no lockpick skill, I can't pick them. Trying involves some sort of little minigame that I don't quite understand. But it appears keys can sometimes unlock doors when you can't pick them. You can also K)nock at locked doors, to which someone sometimes responds, asking for the name of the person you're looking for, a dynamic that had to have been inspired by The Magic Candle.
    
Eventually, I head outside. The iconographic map shows a 13 x 9 area, and I start to groan at the thought of creating my own map of the terrain. But then I notice a M)ap command in the V)iew menu, and--glory of glories!--it opens a clear, detailed map of the world. It appears that the game world consists of several islands. The starting island is called Thule (as opposed to Ultima--ha). If my own position is marked on the map, my colorblindness is preventing me from seeing it, but Keldar is labeled, and I can see a road heading west to what looks like a castle. Man, do I wish I could make contact with Rick Abel because I would double his shareware fee.
     
This is going to make it harder to ever map a top-down RPG again.
      
It's not long before combat comes upon me. You don't see enemies in the environment; you just suddenly get taken to the combat screen. In this case, I face a magician and a giant wasp. I cast "Fireball," and the game automatically has me target the mage, but I can cycle between all foes with the SPACE bar. It takes me two rounds to kill him, in between which he hits me with a spell of his own. The giant wasp starts closing in, and I run out of magic points on my third casting. I switch to my staff and manage to kill him. I gain 8 gold. More on combat next time.
       
Targeting the magician with a "Fireball" spell.
        
There's a useful "Assess" command in combat that shows you monster statistics. 
        
I just wish I could figure out how to switch between monsters.
      
I don't feel great about my continued survivability in combat, so I head south and then west along the road to the castle, hoping my friend is a fighter. Another battle, this time with a ghost and a magician, comes along as I travel. Unfortunately, my melee attacks fail to prevent my death at their hands, and I have to reload from within the town. On my second attempt, I win one battle with a skeleton and warrior bear and a second against a giant wasp and giant rat. I finally make it to the castle. Later, I note that my hit points seem to have regenerated on their own but my spell points have not.
   
A woman named Meredith greets me as I enter the castle. Her friend Jennifer asked her to watch for me. Jennifer would like to see me in the library. I meet Jennifer, who drops the news that the king has just died! She's concerned that his evil brother (the aforementioned Duke Hawthorne) will try to claim the throne, and she has further concerns about the prince that she won't voice in public; she asks me to meet her later in her rooms.
      
You really buried the lede there, Meredith.
      
In the same room, a guy named Naldo tells me that the king had the dungeon sealed, but there's a secret way through the conference room.
   
I meet Jennifer upstairs and she says the prince left her a note that concerned her. She tells me that it's in the plant. The game has a S)earch option that lets you search furniture and other features. I've already used it a couple of times to find extra keys. The note says that the prince has gone to "aid the Underground" at the request of his closest friend Jamal. I actually find Jamal's note in the prince's locked room next door (I unlock it with keys). It reads: "I'm afraid the situation has gotten worse. We have tried to solicit the help of the Mage Council but they have not taken our warnings seriously. Your help is needed. Meet me at the mountain."
    
The throne room is empty. In a study, the king's advisor, Uriah, tells me that the king's tiara is missing; they suspect it was stolen and taken to the dungeon. Guards have gone to look for it, but they report being blocked by magical fire. He asks if I'll help and I say yes. 
        
Why not me?
      
A book on the table clarifies the land's succession laws, which favor the prince unless he is unwilling or unable to take the crown, at which point it passes to the Duke.
   
The secret door is identifiable by a break in the normal wall pattern. Before I go exploring the dungeon, I'd really like to get someone else in my party. I find him in the kitchens: my "best friend," Jared. He does turn out to be a fighter, and he comes equipped with a short sword. He mentions that Rodell (a third friend, it seems) will meet us in Macino, but he doesn't know where Shyra is.
       
I think the game is more excited than I am.
       
We enter the dungeon. Dungeons in the game are top-down, not first-person. But the guards weren't lying. Two steps into the place is a whole sea of magic fire, and we have no way to get past it for now. 
       
Well, we did our best.
        
This seems like a good place to wrap up the first entry. I'll move on to other cities next time and try to round out the party. It seems promising so far--it doesn't have everything that Ultima V had, but it has a few surprises of its own to compensate.

Time so far: 2 hours

38 comments:

  1. Sure, send a wizard apprentice and 3 of his friends of choice to find the "Eternal Grimoire, an all-powerful, indestructible spellbook that was corrupted by the Darklord".

    What could possibly go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reference to "herald of the winged exemplar" made me go check to see how that game was doing, and it does look like the dev is still doing patches and banning people, and the first negative Steam review has 335 replies which is by far the most I've ever seen. Drama!

    I do own it and I got somewhat stuck early but I keep hearing things are getting twiddled with so I have it way way down on the queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a game I bought because I knew I was going to eventually and I am sure that it will be one of those I love its mechanics while I don't, or hate, many of other aspects around it. A curse for me in crpgs in general - why do I enjoy Elex much more than Dragon Age?

      Delete
    2. Things have been being twiddled with for close to 30 years now, so I wouldn't expect it to be finished-finished anytime soon. Or anytime at all for that matter.

      It's funny to consider that I've first read about Grimoire on some Fido board at about the same time as Enchantasy.

      Delete
    3. A curse for me in crpgs in general - why do I enjoy Elex much more than Dragon Age?

      Isn't it sad that Piranha Bytes shut down? I will never forget that type of eurojank rpg - it really showed me a living world rather than the static jrpg type world we were used to with so many other games. Risen 2 was like my fever dream of being a pirate and so good.

      Delete
    4. Possibly the same reason why I was interested in Mars: War Logs more than Dragon Age, Carlos. Mars felt like anything could happen, but Dragon Age just felt... I dunno... Something unspontaneous about it. Maybe I just have more time for games like Encased and Gorky because they don't feel used up and played out by other people first. (Which I know isn't a thing, and would be ridiculous if it was, but all the same, a game being 'my' thing really counts for a lot. Unfair but true.)

      Delete
    5. Encased and Gorky are nice games - sometimes the less polished games can give a more intense experience...

      Delete
    6. While it's sad that Piranha Bytes shut down at least the founder Björn Pankratz and his wife have made themselves a new home with Pithead Studios. There is a controversy concerning him and his last year's with PB. My opinion is such things happen everywhere in the industry and I'm just hopeful we'll get new Gothic quality games from them.

      Delete
    7. A lot of people seem to think there hasn't been a Gothic quality game since Gothic 2 (I disagree - Gothic 1 & 2 stand out but I don't think the difference is that huge).

      Delete
    8. Well I liked the Risen series very much. Gothic 3 however...not so much. At least it's enjoyable with all the community patches. Elex I never got into, maybe someday.

      Delete
    9. Elex is a janky mess that is to me between Risen and the first two Gothics. There is a constant design tension between two obvious factions at Piranha Bytes: the ones who wanted to do a reskinned Gothic, and the ones who wanted to put more stuff from Fallout and Mass Effect. Yet, it works.

      Now, the diversity on that game is on the same level of the other PB games: probably the neighbours they have on the same block and floor.

      Delete
  3. The archived AOL Members web site for the game contains a statement: "EGA Computing, the creators of Enchantasy, have
    decided to re-release this epic adventure as Shareware".

    There are at least two 'standalone' versions of the game on the Internet Archive (plus a couple in compilations). Since this is a shareware game or at least was re-released as such, I assume it's OK to include links here.

    One of them has the Orion Innovation screen and within its files (timestamps from 1991 to 1996) are a license agreement mentioning said company as well as two readme files, one of them for shareware.

    The license agreement says "Orion Innovations and EGA Computing, hereinafter referred to as ("ORION")" and contains the same AOL email address for both: "Orion Innovations and EGA Computing can be contacted at the following E-Mail address: enchantasy@aol.com".

    The other version has a copyright of 1993, somewhat different files (all timestamps 1996-12-24) without license or readme visible and a screen saying "Point Of View Computing presents:"

    From this screenshot of that version it appears Erick G(lenn) Abel is indeed "Rick".

    Based on this, my guess is the game was initially released (in 1993?) through Point Of View Computing and later re-released as shareware by EGA Computing itself, nominally through its related publisher entity Orion Innovations (both maybe one-person companies founded, owned and managed by Abel himself?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second version from archive.org also does not have the shareware saving limitations (but you still only get one save slot), but otherwise the start is identical, so no character creation - which, to be fair, makes sense plot-wise. Unfortunately, that version has a game-breaking bug.

      Delete
    2. You can also see the differences in the intro screens in gameplay videos. This one has the 'Point of View Computing' and (c) 1993 while this other one has 'Orion Innovations' and (c) 1991-1996, plus there are some additional differences in presentation and content of the intros.

      As for the registration screens at saving, maybe temporarily registering the game for the 25 additional saves using the temporary registration code number given which supposedly still works on the archived page (and thereafter hex editing the file again for de facto unlimited saves) gets rid of them?

      Delete
  4. For some reason, it was very popular on RPG-themed messageboards in late 90s. Certainly seems to be a tad more competently written than your average shareware game (Jeff Vogel's oeuvre notwithstanding). I've never gotten terribly far in it myself, so looking forward to your coverage.
    Coincidentally, you're having two games almost next to each other on your list that combine JRPG-style premade party with a WRPG-style open world exploration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, by the way, you can flee combat by moving your charcter(s) offscreen.

      Delete
    2. You don't even need to do that. You just hit R)un while on the combat screen. I haven't had it fail yet.

      Delete
    3. I cringe to do it, though, because the little chirp sound that it makes when each character flees reminds me of the same sound in Ultima IV, where fleeing was bad.

      Delete
    4. Well, the must be some disincentive to fleeing :P

      Delete
    5. The mention of disincentives to fleeing interests me, because I started playing Zelda:ToTK this past week, and I found it surprisingly natural to flee most combats. Decades of experience tell me that I shouldn't be doing this, and yet I adapted pretty much instantly to a model of skirting the edge of enemy attention, or rushing past one blindly while juking to avoid arrows. In traditional RPGs, you're obviously supposed to be fighting all the time for experience and advancement, there often are explicit penalties ot fleeing, and encountering an enemy too hard to defeat is one of the most standard ways to gatepost areas you shouldn't be visiting yet. But ToTK is an aggressively "open world" game, so it feels like you're instead actively encouraged to go running off into the most dangerous regions, slip past the enemies, and snag some good swag. Character advancement is linked not to combat but to puzzles, so at least in the early game, you'll want to do a lot of sneaking past enemies to get to puzzles, then return to the enemies later when this has earned you enough character progession to make combat a practical way to grind resources. The fact that early-game weapons also don't last very long before breaking is a further way to send the message that fighting should not generally be your first choice.

      Delete
    6. I dislike games where the advice for an encounter is "just run away" because it makes me feel like I'm avoiding engaging with the actual game itself! (obviously this does not apply if the game itself is about stealth/avoidance, but applies to RPGs and action-y games where I surely want to use my abilities and learn how best to deal with various enemies!)

      Delete
    7. From my perspective, progressing from having to sneak around most enemies to being able to take more and more of them on is a far better procedural narrative than the typical RPG progression from killing rats to killing gods. Legacy, the horror game, attempted a similar arc - although IIRC Chet didn't appreciate it either.
      But this approach would only work in a game with persistent encounters, which Enchantasy is not - hence the need for disincentives.

      Delete
    8. In Gothic/Gothic 2, it was also advisable to avoid a lot of combat early on when possible. Especially if there was more than one enemy. Even two of the lowliest foes fighting together could take you down early on.

      Delete
    9. Ah, that Gothic comment was me.

      Delete
    10. Some games have so much random encounters that fighting them all will leave you overleveled and remove any combat challenge. So in Bard's Tale 2 and 3 it makes the games both more enjoyable and challenging, as well as less time consuming, if you run away a lot.

      Delete
    11. But to know for sure whether you're engaging with game or not by running away is not possible without knowing what the developers had in mind! After all, life itself is not structured in such a way that all the POSSIBLE challenges that you could try accepting are really possible to accomplish for you - there are lots and lots of challenges in life that are red herrings/"false painted doors on the wall", not MEANT (so to speak) to be accomplished by you (at least, not meant at the time it appeared in your life), because life task's "difficulty" does not adjust for your abilities; so maybe some developers imitate this exactly aspet, when some encounters are there to fight, and some are there to escape, and engaging with the game, in essence, IS understanding that you HAVE to run! Engaging with it on a more sophisticated, more brain-ey way, I mean.

      Delete
    12. I remember the moment when JRPGs became much less boring and grind-ey for me when I finally grokked that the "escape/flee" option is there for a reason and there is often no real disadvantage to that! Taking all those fights on takes a lot of time, not to mention being hellishly repetitive, especially with encounter rate of "a new monster each few steps".

      Delete
    13. Some games are structured such that if you encounter an enemy, you ought to be able to beat it, and if you can't, that generally indicates that you've done something wrong (and that something is often "Run away from too many battles so that now you're under-leveled", though it can also be "You wandered into a region that you were meant to enter later in the game". Octopath Traveler had a mechanic where it would actually warn you if you were about to transition into a region that was meant for higher-leveled characters).
      On the other hand, some games are structured so that a too-powerful enemy is meant to encourage the player to find alternative strategies to direct combat, such as stealth. It's often clear from the subgenre, but not always.

      Delete
    14. Modern games give us too much of an incentive to not run away. In open world games where running away means getting chased halfway across the map its hard to remember that sometimes games were once made with the thought that players would occasionally run away. If you encounter something you can't yet kill something has usually gone wrong. Older games and some indie games don't take that approach, and learning not to fear the flee button is part of learning those games.

      Delete
  5. On the topic of this being (obviously) inspired by Ultima V, I'd say that some of the graphics are a direct copy of U5; and of course "Orion" sounds rather close to "Origin". Not that there's anything wrong with that for a nineties shareware game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd assume the Orion thing is more coincidence than anything, considering the constellation exists

      Delete
    2. It's one of the better constellations...

      Delete
  6. Update: Erick Abel apparently died in 2022:

    https://www.jsgfunerals.com/obituaries/Ricky-Abel?obId=30474495

    I don't know why this didn't come up on my original search. He was nearly 40 when Enchantasy was published, 68 when he died. The Richard Abel credited as a playtester is his son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeyowch. I wonder if we should start proactively reaching out to the developers of shareware/independent games before we get to them in the actual list. 2022 was such a short time ago and 68 is still in the age range where you can think "Oh, they're not going to just up and die any day now, I can email them later."

      Delete
  7. Ethical decision making would be much simplified IRL if evil humans would simply be labeled as such. I support implementation of this change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't know if you were kidding, but the space bar seems to cycle targets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah yes, a time where Bows weren't considered weapons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, hilarious. I'm playing the game myself, and immediately I recognize that the title music for Enchantasy is a strange MIDI drum and bass remix of the Terminator 2: Judgement Day musical theme, the big dramatic one that everyone remembers. How very shareware of Enchantasy.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments about the material in this blog, and I generally do not censor them. However, please follow these rules:

1. DO NOT COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY. If you do not want to log in or cannot log in with a Google Account, choose the "Name/URL" option and type a name (you can leave the URL blank). If that doesn't work, use the "Anonymous" option but put your name of choice at the top of the entry.

2. Do not link to any commercial entities, including Kickstarter campaigns, unless they're directly relevant to the material in the associated blog posting. (For instance, that GOG is selling the particular game I'm playing is relevant; that Steam is having a sale this week on other games is not.) This also includes user names that link to advertising.

3. Please avoid profanity and vulgar language. I don't want my blog flagged by too many filters. I will delete comments containing profanity on a case-by-case basis.

4. I appreciate if you use ROT13 for explicit spoilers for the current game and upcoming games. Please at least mention "ROT13" in the comment so we don't get a lot of replies saying "what is that gibberish?"

5. Comments on my blog are not a place for slurs against any race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or mental or physical disability. I will delete these on a case-by-case basis depending on my interpretation of what constitutes a "slur."

Blogger has a way of "eating" comments, so I highly recommend that you copy your words to the clipboard before submitting, just in case.

I read all comments, no matter how old the entry. So do many of my subscribers. Reader comments on "old" games continue to supplement our understanding of them. As such, all comment threads on this blog are live and active unless I specifically turn them off. There is no such thing as "necro-posting" on this blog, and thus no need to use that term.

I will delete any comments that simply point out typos. If you want to use the commenting system to alert me to them, great, I appreciate it, but there's no reason to leave such comments preserved for posterity.

I'm sorry for any difficulty commenting. I turn moderation on and off and "word verification" on and off frequently depending on the volume of spam I'm receiving. I only use either when spam gets out of control, so I appreciate your patience with both moderation tools.