Sunday, July 28, 2024

Game 526: Psionics (1993)

If I were a software developer, I would never release "V1.0" of anything. Even if it was 1.0, I'd call it 1.2 or 1.3 so my audience wouldn't think they were getting the first draft.
       
Psionics
United States
Nachos Software (developer)
Released 1993 for DOS
Date Started: 20 July 2024
Date Ended: 20 July 2024
Total Hours: 2
Difficulty: Easy-Moderate (2.5/5)
Final Rating: (to come later)
Ranking at time of posting: (to come later)    
       
Psionics is a very quick, simple RPG written in QuickBASIC. It was written by an Adam Stanchos, who apparently decided to lean in to the obvious mangling of his name and call his label Nachos Software. It was 21:00 when I typed that last sentence. I stared at it for a second, left my computer, drove 30 minutes to a supermarket that stays open until 22:00, bought the ingredients to make nachos, came home, cooked them, and returned to the computer with a generous plate, which I am now eating. Irene thinks I'm a lunatic, but I bet at least one of you is off making your own nachos right now.
      
You bastard.
     
Stanchos lived in El Paso, Texas, and distributed his games as freeware. For $10, you could get a printed manual and--ha!--a cluebook. I've been able to find two other titles credited to Stanchos: a space shooter called Red Baron (1998) and an RPG sequel to Psionics (using an update of the same interface) called Gene Splicing (1998).
    
Psionics isn't a great game--it's too short and simple--but it tells a competent story with decent graphics and a perfectly usable interface. At some unknown point in the future, humans have started developing psionic abilities. The PC is one of them. He has agreed to travel to a starbase called Nexus to be studied by a group of curious scientists. A couple of days of tests proceed uneventfully. Then the PC is awakened one night by sounds of screams and a power outage. He discovers that monsters have escaped their laboratory cages and are attacking the station personnel. He must fight his way through the monsters and escape the station.
         
From the opening narration.
     
Character creation consists of rolling for values between 1 and 10 for strength, intelligence, agility, and endurance; choosing a gender; selecting a portrait; and giving the character a name. The game also randomly generates your maximum hit points and PSI points. I never got more than 3 PSI.
      
I meant to go with the bald guy, but I messed up.
     
You start the game in your sleeping chambers, a 2 x 2 room. The interface uses a tiled, first-person view with a few buttons. The game supports a mouse, but all its commands can also be called by simply hitting their first letter. (This is how to design an interface. Why is it so hard for some developers?) You can save anywhere and have one save slot.
        
The game begins.
      
You open the door and head out into the hallway. You immediately come upon your sponsor, Dr. Gilliand, being eaten by mutated lab rats. You can choose to help him or leave him. He dies either way, but if you help him, you have to fight the rats. If you do help, he tells you to get off Nexus, but it's not like you couldn't figure that out for yourself.
        
The only role-playing choice in the game.
      
Enemies attack with regularity throughout the game. There are only seven or eight types, including jumbo-sized tarantulas, Vordoxian serpents, mad dogs, deranged baboons, and Zandorian dragons. Some of these come in "mutated" varieties, which are harder. They attack in packs of one to four. In battle, you have only three options: fight with a weapon (or, at the beginning, with your hands), make a psionic attack, or run away. Psionic attacks never miss and do the most damage--almost always killing enemies in one shot--but you can only make as many psionic attacks as you have PSI points. 
           
Most of the game's enemies.
        
And combat options.
      
You get experience for each enemy that you kill, and you level up at reasonably tight intervals. Leveling up gives you an extra point to a random attribute and more maximum health. Your maximum PSI points only increase if your intelligence increases, which mine never did. PSI points do recharge fairly quickly as you move about the station, but you still need to resort to regular weapons in a lot of battles.
        
My final level-up.
    
The game starts on Level 5 of a five-level space station, and the hardest part is surviving long enough to find a weapon. The first weapon you find, on Level 5, is a dart gun. Later, on lower levels, you find a laser pistol, a laser rifle, and an automatic laser rifle in that order. You only find two types of armor: a shield belt and a suit of Kevlar. There are also assorted healing packs, but they're curiously underpowered. Fortunately, you regain health at a rate of 1 point per 10 moves, which is generally enough to stay ahead of enemies as long as you judiciously run from battles with four enemies.
    
I only mapped Level 3, which occupies 22 x 10 coordinates but doesn't use nearly all that space. I don't know for sure that all the levels are the same size, but none of them felt much larger or smaller. I never found any secret doors. If they exist, finding them isn't necessary to progress.
     
Level 3 of the Nexus starbase.
      
That's really all there is to the mechanics. The story unfolds as you explore the levels. On Level 5, you find a trashed laboratory with cage doors torn off their hinges. You find an elevator, which will take you to Levels 4 and 3.
   
On Level 4, you find a security card necessary for some of the doors on the lower levels, including the door to the exit. On Level 3, you see a member of the station personnel run to a particular door, swipe his security card, and disappear inside. If you follow him, you discover that you're in a shuttle hangar where you can make your escape--but only if you have a shuttle key.
   
More elevators go down to Levels 2 and 1. In a back room on Level 1, you find a woman looting an office for a shuttle key. When confronted, she says that she's another psychic, but for some reason bitter about being treated like a "guinea pig." After reading the minds of the scientists and discovering that they intended to dismiss her because she was "unstable," she deliberately melted the locks on the doors to the animal cages and caused the whole crisis. 
         
Better for who?
      
You have to defeat the "screwed up gal" in combat--she uses psionic attacks, of course--to get the shuttle key.
      
The author is at least on-the-nose with his naming.
      
After that, it's a simple matter to make your way up to Level 3 and into the shuttle bay. There, you meet a grotesque creature with the generic name of "genetically-engineered being." Ironically (given the name of the game) he is immune to psionic attacks, so you have to defeat him with your rifle, which takes at least six rounds. The only real difficulty I had in the game was restoring my hit points to their maximum before taking on the creature. I kept spinning in place outside his door, but I got attacked by other creatures and kept losing the points I'd regained.
      
Should have called the game Laser Guns, then.
     
Once the creature is dead, the game narrates the ending: You climb into the shuttle, activate it with the key, and fly away. "Leaving behind the horrors of Nexus, you are finally safe. The danger over." Then the words "THE END" come up on the screen, and you're back at the DOS prompt. 
      
The somewhat morose winning screen.
     
The whole thing took me less than 2 hours. I give it a 21 on the GIMLET. It does best (4) in the "game world" category for telling a story that I hadn't encountered before with a beginning, middle, and end. I like the interface and the monster portraits, though none of the other graphics are anything special, and the piercing sound effects are actively hostile (3). Character development and overall gameplay (modest difficulty, certainly doesn't drag) are worth 3s. There's no economy (0), and everything else gets a 1 or 2.
    
Psionics frankly feels a bit like a demo for a more extensive game, and perhaps that's what we get with Gene Splicing (1999).  I can't get it to run--it freezes on the "Nachos" screen--but MobyGames has some screenshots, and I paged through the game manual. It seems to take place in the same universe. There, the PC is an agent for the Space Security Administration. Combat is a bit more complex, as is inventory, and you have multiple characters in the party. If I ever get to 1999, I'll figure out how to emulate it then.
     
*****
     
If anyone has the hardware, time, and willingness to extract files from an original Apple II 5 1/4-inch floppy disk and render them as a .dsk file, please email me (crpgaddict@gmail.com). Thanks!

35 comments:

  1. Regarding Gene Splicing, I had the same problem, disabled sound and mouse in the setup, and then it ran.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave it a try and found I could get it running using the Dosbox-Pure core in RetroArch. It seemed to be a bit stuttery at times, but I believe that's most likely because it is so... BASIC

      Delete
    2. A game that requires you to disable sound and mouse seems like a game after Chester's own heart.

      Delete
  2. Ok, this is a bit OT, but I'm curious about 'typical' food and differences you encounter depending on the country / area. When I order nachos e.g. in a movie theater here, I get tortilla chips with some topping(s) like melted cheese, jalapeƱos, olives, a sauce. Elsewhere they might be combined with different kinds of meat, but in supermarkets you can often find just the chips and a sauce to dip them in as a snack. So what are the 'CRPGAddict style' nachos you were preparing and having?

    On the game itself I don't have much to say, seems like a very basic dungeon crawler. Either Stanchos later took your advice re version naming or there is an updated/revised version 1.1 - though at least based on this short initial gameplay video not sure there are any major differences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I (American, has lived in the Northeast mostly) would say that the first thing you describe is nachos, and in the supermarket maybe you would find nacho chips--maybe meaning the chips for nachos? Or if they're selling you a bag of chips and sauce and claiming that's nachos, that's not true, but I wouldn't expect to be able to get nachos in a supermarket because they have to be hot out of the oven.

      Delete
    2. What I did that night was spread a bunch of tortilla chips in a pan, cover them generally with a blend of cheddar and jack cheeses and black olives. I then put salsa on about half of them and shredded beef brisket on the other half.

      I think the definition of "nacho" can be pretty broad, though. As long as it involves tortilla chips and either melted cheese or cheese sauce, I'm happy to call it "nachos."

      Delete
    3. The original nachos, as created by chef Nacho Anaya, were tortilla chips (possibly broken-up tostados) topped with cheddar-style cheese (possibly Colby) and sliced pickled jalapenos, broiled until the cheese melted. It was a quick "kitchen's closed" snack. So I imagine Sr. Anaya would have approved of the Addict's nachos*! This is one of those cases where the more "authentic", "gourmet" versions are further from the original.

      I wouldn't make nachos with nacho-flavored chips, but I know some people do. Chips with cheese sauce are "ballpark nachos".

      (*Maybe not the olives, but I like them fine myself. I think the use of black olives in Mexican-style food originated as a "olives = Spanish, Mexican = Spanish" thing, possibly also as a stand-in for pickled jalapenos.)

      Delete
    4. I forgot to mention in my recipe then I then baked it for a while until the cheese melted. You probably got that idea, but it just seemed weird without that coda.

      I'm surprised no one has mentioned sour cream. It's disgusting, but usually someone wants it.

      Delete
  3. Usually, software development begins with version 0.1, then 0.2 etc. with even smaller increments like version 0.35, so that before the age of endless patching version 1.0 just meant a finalized and complete product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are countless versioning schemes and at least 3-4 of them are pretty common, so that saying software development usually starts with version 0.1 is a bit off. If anything, with semantic versioning three part version numbers have become way more common, and with continuous deployment version numbers are often only a single increasing number or even a hash. The latter is probably becoming more common in games development with software being streamed and continually updated.

      Delete
    2. Sure, but version 1.0 still used to mean a finished product, geeez...

      Delete
    3. To me, "1.0" means "finished product but before we've received any bug reports from users."

      1.1 or 1.2 means "patched version of 1.0."

      1.5 or 1.6 means "patched version of 1.0, but wow did we screw it up the first time."

      2.0 means "completely different game; now you need to play both."

      Delete
    4. Playing 1.0 is a rookie error. Gotta wait til 1.1

      Delete
  4. I make my nachos with hot salsa and shredded Mozzarella cheese at 180° (Celsius) in the oven. Any improvements to that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't put the salsa on the chips at all, but have it for dipping the nachos. I would think cooking the salsa on the chips would make them soggy?

      But, yeah, olives, jalapeno slices. Maybe a cheese blend with something more flavorful and crusts up a bit, like cheddar. I happen to like refried beans...

      Also: guacamole

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure what chips you are using, but the best improvement I can think of is either sourcing homemade high-quality ones or making your own by breaking and frying good quality tortillas gone a bit stale.

      The latter is a hassle and it defeats Nacho's purpose as a quick snack, but compared to regular supermarket tortilla chips, the difference is night and day to me.

      Delete
    3. I've honestly never tried nachos with mozzarella. Maybe I'll give it a shot next time. I do like some meat on mine, though, whether shredded beef, chicken, or hamburger. A few years ago, I would have said pork, but I guess maybe I don't eat pork anymore. It's certainly been a while.

      Delete
    4. Wait . . . bacon is pork. Never mind.

      Delete
  5. I rate the initial paragraph as a 10/10. Fortunately, I read it before 7 AM so wasn't completely tempted to go hunt down some nachos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing I really remember about this game in general, despite having once been bored enough to complete it, is that it took advantage of the laxer content standards on shareware games to get away with some gore. I doubt anyone paid for the cluebook/manual.

    Gene Splicing probably just isn't working in whatever version of DOSbox you're using. The official website says that it should work in 0.61, but I remember getting it working, so it must work on DOSbox Staging or DOSbox-X.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AlphabeticalAnonymousJuly 28, 2024 at 1:55 PM

    I'm more than a bit impressed to hear that this game was coded entirely in QuickBASIC. Did the game run smoothly & quickly with normal DOSBox settings? or did you have to speed things up?

    Short but almost-passable games like this always make me think of some sort of alternative, "GIMLETS per hour" sort of weighted metric, that rewards quality gameplay but not at the expense of needing a 60-hour game. (Yes, I know that one facet of the GIMLET involves game duration). The simple "G/hr" metric doesn't work because the 'worst' games by that scale are then Fate, NetHack 3.0.9, Rogue, and Wizardry IV... and treating time logarithmically doesn't help out for other reasons. Maybe one just can't improve on perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. QuickBASIC had a native compiler. I'd expect it to be acceptably fast for a turn-based RPG (I played some interpreted QBasic-based turn-based RPGs back in the day and they also performed acceptably).

      Delete
    2. I ran it at the default speed. No problems at all.

      Delete
  8. The Apple II has a very active software preservation scene. They will be interested if you have something that might not yet be imaged. Try reaching out to "4am" (mastodon.social/@a2_4am), he should be able to get you in contact with the right people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This game's description has vague "System Shock" vibes, but "screwed up gal" sure can't hold a candle to Shodan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I immediately thought of System Shock and also Bioforge when reading the premise, but they are both later releases than this game.

      I wonder what movies/games have a similar premise (outsider must escape hostile facility where everything is going to s**t) and came out earlier than 1993.

      Delete
    2. It reminds me of "Project Firestart" for the C64 which came out in 1989. It is an action game with a horror atmosphere.

      Delete
    3. Staying even in space CRPG territory, it's not the premise of the entire game, but several scenarios of the Gold Box entry Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (1990) come to (my) mind.

      E.g. the derelict spaceship or the RAM Asteroid base (links to Chet's respective coverage).

      Delete
    4. Vince: System Shock came out in 1994, so, even in CRPGAddict years, it won't be all that long now!

      Delete
    5. The only problem is...System Shock is likely to be rejected as an CRPG by Chet's criterias.

      There, I dared say it, Jehova Jehova. Before you start throwing stones at me I'm an absolute System Shock fan, too, and no I'm not actively advocating anything here. Just stating a reasonable thought IMHO.

      Delete
    6. Right, System Shock 2 fits the criteria but System Shock, not so much, although it feels close enough to warrant trying.

      Delete
  10. Calling your sci-fi RPG "Psionics" is like naming your fantasy RPG "Swords" or "Dragons". You gotta do the &, my dude! "Psionics & Plasma" is right there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know it's a bit late for this, but your psychic attack does 2 damage/character level, so not only is it reliable (except against the Genetically Engineered Monstrosity) but it level-scales.

    Having a high Intelligence gives you more PSI points, just like having a high Endurance gives you more hit points. (I think 9 was the minimum to give you a bonus.)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments about the material in this blog, and I generally do not censor them. However, please follow these rules:

1. DO NOT COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY. If you do not want to log in or cannot log in with a Google Account, choose the "Name/URL" option and type a name (you can leave the URL blank). If that doesn't work, use the "Anonymous" option but put your name of choice at the top of the entry.

2. Do not link to any commercial entities, including Kickstarter campaigns, unless they're directly relevant to the material in the associated blog posting. (For instance, that GOG is selling the particular game I'm playing is relevant; that Steam is having a sale this week on other games is not.) This also includes user names that link to advertising.

3. Please avoid profanity and vulgar language. I don't want my blog flagged by too many filters. I will delete comments containing profanity on a case-by-case basis.

4. I appreciate if you use ROT13 for explicit spoilers for the current game and upcoming games. Please at least mention "ROT13" in the comment so we don't get a lot of replies saying "what is that gibberish?"

5. Comments on my blog are not a place for slurs against any race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or mental or physical disability. I will delete these on a case-by-case basis depending on my interpretation of what constitutes a "slur."

Blogger has a way of "eating" comments, so I highly recommend that you copy your words to the clipboard before submitting, just in case.

I read all comments, no matter how old the entry. So do many of my subscribers. Reader comments on "old" games continue to supplement our understanding of them. As such, all comment threads on this blog are live and active unless I specifically turn them off. There is no such thing as "necro-posting" on this blog, and thus no need to use that term.

I will delete any comments that simply point out typos. If you want to use the commenting system to alert me to them, great, I appreciate it, but there's no reason to leave such comments preserved for posterity.

I'm sorry for any difficulty commenting. I turn moderation on and off and "word verification" on and off frequently depending on the volume of spam I'm receiving. I only use either when spam gets out of control, so I appreciate your patience with both moderation tools.