Saturday, April 6, 2024

Shadow Caster: Won! (with Summary and Rating)

The endgame cinematic doesn't even remember the opening cinematic. I wasn't called "Shadow Caster" because I cast a shadow on your future; it was because I cast a shadow on the ability of others to read my future.
       
Shadow Caster
United States
Raven Software (developer); ORIGIN/Electronic Arts (publisher)
Released 1993 for DOS, 1994 for PC-98
Date Started: 16 March 2024
Date Ended: 27 March 2024
Total Hours: 13
Difficulty: Moderate (3.0/5)
Final Rating: (to come later)
Ranking at time of posting: (to come later)
      
The adventure continued in what the cluebook calls the Flooded Caverns, a large map where areas of water alternated with areas of what I thought was lava, but I guess was acid. To get across the acid, I either had to jump with the Caun or fly with the Opsis, though in the latter case, I had to fly at the top of the screen to avoid "acid bursts" that kept popping out of the acid pools. Thanks go to MorpheusKitami for alerting me to the controls on the side of the main game window that raise you up and down. They were key to this area.   
    
Enemies on the level included spinning mines and red Ssairs, which I had encountered before, as well as two new ones: a "tar creature" that camouflages himself as a rock until you get close, and a "morpsphere," which looks like an asteroid, but it can shoot fire. I made things more difficult for myself by insisting that the new Kahpa get as much experience as possible, despite being horribly weak.
       
"Tar creatures." There weren't many of them.
    
On the level, I found weapons and armor that seemed intended for the Kahpa, including Water Armor and a Trident of Might. 
   
The book indicated that the old inhabitants of this world, who destroyed themselves in a panic when Veste started conquering other worlds, lived in both the shallows and the depths. I kept looking for a door or portal that would take me to what I assumed would be a water level. I finally realized the solution was to enter the water and use the controllers on the side of the screen to move down, beneath the surface. Only the Kahpa is able to survive more than a few seconds of this.
   
Dropping below the surface took me to a completely separate underwater map, the Sea King's Labyrinth. As underwater levels go, it wasn't so bad. At least I was playing a water-breathing character. I could move in three dimensions, and the water put natural restrictions on what types of items I could use. For instance, the shuriken naturally didn't work. I did find that the game was overly sensitive as to whether I was exactly on the right plane when I tried to attack enemies, though. I got killed a lot as I made micro-adjustments to my position so that my attacks with the trident (in particular) would actually hit. 
    
This is not a good illustration of what I'm talking about. I know I'm too far away here. I was just trying to get the shot.
     
Enemies included giant piranhas, skull mines, manta rays, and blue cousins to the flying red Ssairs. They almost all shot blue things at me. I didn't find that the Kahpa's special attacks helped much. I used a Potion of Strength with my trident to wipe most of them out, my Kahpa far exceeding the other characters in experience points in the process. I found an Amulet of Defense in a corner. I had to retreat back to the early level a few times for rest and healing.
    
The level culminated in a battle with the Sea King, which I won mostly with wands and other ranged weapons saved for that purpose. His chamber had a throne, a teleporter to the next area, and a square tablet on the floor. The tablet instructed me: "Go to the Ssairs' hall and cast the water tablet into the acid. They will allow you to touch the obelisk after you have done this."
     
The Sea King and one of his Blue Ssair minions.
    
The Ssairs' hall was on the other side of the teleporter. Four red ones were flying around the room when I entered, so I morphed quickly to the Opsis and took them out with my "Death Blast." It is absolutely worth the time I have to wait to recharge my energy after I use it. I use that time to write these entries.
        
One Ssair dissolves as another waits behind.
    
After I cleared out the enemies from what was essentially one large cavern, I threw the tablet in a river of acid and it turned to blue water. On the far side of the cavern, I found an obelisk that granted my fifth and penultimate form: a red SSair. The SSair is pretty cool. His claw attack is better than any regular weapon in the game, and he can also whip with his tail and shoot powerful fireballs. He also moves a lot faster than the other characters. The clue book has a long history of the Ssair people, a proud warrior race who could not be conquered martially, so Veste did it by poisoning their waters with drugs.
     
I liked the Ssair stained glass windows.
    
A teleporter brought me to yet another hidden area of the Temple of the Dark God (I think this was the fourth visit). I had to find my way to the central area, where a new teleporter took me to the Mud Mines, the home of a race called the Grost, a kind of stone golem with the power to create earthquakes and merge with the earth around them.
   
My Ssair sailed through their hallways, destroying giant spiders and earth elementals with claw and fireball attacks. I found the tip of an obelisk in the far northwest corner.  
      
Those are some sharp claws.
         
An area of lava with lava men (basically lava elementals), fire elementals, and fireballs constantly shooting from the walls was challenging. I stubbornly kept my Ssair active since he needed the experience most, but his fire-based attacks were useless and I probably should have switched to the Opsis, especially since there was a magic pool on the other side, and I could have restored my energy easily. 
    
The level was large but pretty quick. At the end, I came into a small chamber with a frozen ceiling, two pressure plates in alcoves, and two boulders on the ground. It was obvious that I was supposed to put the boulders on the pressure plates. This caused lava to flow into the room, melting enough of the ceiling to expose a chain, which I pulled, opening a secret door to the exit teleportal.
       
I don't think I've ever said this before, but this game probably could have used more pressure plates.
       
The same sorts of enemies were present in the next area, the Lava Tunnels. I continued to play mostly as the Ssair, although there were enough patches of dry earth to settle down and rest if I needed to restore health or energy.
   
I got trapped at a dead end early on the level. There was a stone frog's head on the wall with an open mouth. I couldn't figure out what to do with it. I had to consult the cluebook to see that the solution was to have my Caun cast his "Insect Swarm" spell on the mouth. This caused it to close and a secret door to open nearby.
     
Kermit got frozen in carbonite.
     
After a bunch of enemies, the level brought me to an hourglass, and then to a slot clearly intended for the hourglass. Inserting it caused an obelisk to stop rotating, allowing me to affix the tip. Moments later, I had the final form: a powerful Grost. His punch does twice the maximum damage of any other weapon in the game. He has "Earthquake" and "Paralysis" special attacks, and things that would massively damage other characters just bounce off him.
       
It's clobberin' time!
     
More important, he was able to bash through some weak walls and find the exit portal, which again brought me to an unmapped part of the Temple of the Dark God. The Grost bulldozed through some Rice Demons and made it to the teleportal to the next area.
    
I was enjoying the Grost, so it annoyed me that so many of the enemies in the Maze of Madness were way up at the ceiling, where I had to use wands or change into the Opsis or Ssair forms to get at them. These included two new enemies, Green Monitors and Pterodactyls, both capable of just blasting me to pieces. The Pterodactyls are practically invisible against the level's grotesque, undulating walls. I had to spend a lot of time resting and healing.
     
These mouths move and open and close. It's creepy.
      
The maze had a central room with three pillars. Each wanted me to place a different crystal on it. I found a bone crystal and a flesh crystal (yuck) without much problem--the latter required me to put a stone sword in the hands of a statue--but I couldn't find the third. It turned out that the game wanted me to go swimming in the literal rivers of blood and use the Kahpa to swim under some of the walls. Thankfully, the automap showed the adjacent areas, or I probably wouldn't have figured it out.
     
There were tough enemies called Blood Creatures on the floor of the river. I probably didn't need to clear them out, but I figured every experience point counts. I had trouble hitting them, too, though. That seems to be a theme in general for the last few levels. On early levels, I could swing my sword or wave my claws in the general direction of the enemy, and my attacks were sure to connect. Towards the end, the game got a lot more finicky. 
       
This looks like a turkey breast affixed to the ceiling.
      
I emerged from the river of blood in a small chamber with some kind of sack hanging from the ceiling. An attack caused it to puff out of existence, leaving a blood crystal behind. That crystal lowered the last pillar and caused a teleportal to appear on the floor. 
    
I knew from the cluebook that the next area was the final one. It was mercifully small--basically just a single room with a few wings. The final battle began as soon as I arrived. I wasn't ready for it the first time and got slaughtered. I wasted some time trying to win it with the human form--I thought that was important somehow--but I couldn't even defeat Veste's first form.
      
Preparing for the final confrontation.
     
Veste started off in the guise of a cleric. As each form died, he morphed into the body of another previous boss: Zarduz, Green Ssair, Wolf Lord, Sea King, Boar Lord, and finally his native form, a gray gargoyle. I gave the Grost the Amulet of Defense and had him take a swig of a Strength Potion before battle, and from there all I had to do was stand there and punch away. I defeated Veste without even losing half my health.
       
Veste in his final form.
      
In some ways, it was good that the final fight was so easy, because the game crashed repeatedly while transitioning to the final cinematic. After four or five tries, I made it. First, Veste offers a death speech:
        
You are stronger than I thought, Shadowcaster. If the gods could not foresee your power, I cannot be faulted for a similar blindness. And now, when I am gone, you will be truly alone. I hope the gods treat you more kindly than they did me . . . Good luck, kinsman . . .
      
But why am I not a gargoyle?
     
Then, an old man appears and congratulates me, saying that my name "shall be added to the Book of Heroes." The face morphs into Kahpa and some insectoid form as it continues, saying that the power of shapeshifting will be granted to all my descendants. He finished off by saying, "Return now to your village, where your grandfather awaits you." Honestly, I have no idea who this is. Plus, my "village" is Manhattan. I've never been to the shapeshifter village, so I can't "return" to it. I thought it was destroyed anyway.
      
Who are you again?
      
Nope. There are cheering, waving people standing before me as Grandfather ties a new cloak around my neck and says that the people have chosen me their leader. Honestly, this game's story is just a mess. 
      
Golly gee! A new cloak! That was worth risking my life.
      
It wasn't terrible as a game. It offered a relatively even experience from beginning to end and didn't overstay its welcome. I would have liked harder puzzles, a more coherent backstory, and a better inventory. The endgame was a missed opportunity for the character and Veste to engage in a real shapeshifting duel, each picking forms meant to counter the others.
      
In a GIMLET, I give it:
   
  • 3 points for the game world. They kind of try, but a lot of the world-building is confusing and contradictory. It feels like it was created in post-production. And why did it all have to be indoors?
  • 2 points for character creation and development. There's no creation. The only development is the occasional score-based level and the power that comes with it. They should have just offered a single experience statistic instead of having each form earn experience at a different rate. Because I didn't know which forms would be called into play at which times, I wasted time trying to spread out the experience.
  • 0 points for NPC interaction. It doesn't have NPCs. It has cut scenes in which people occasionally talk to you.
  • 4 points for encounters and foes. It gets most of that for its original bestiary. Learning their strengths and weaknesses is a key part of the game. I give another for some fairly easy puzzles.
  • 4 points for magic and combat. The various forms give you an increasing series of tactics from the beginning to the end of the game, and I want to rate that higher, but a few of the characters' attacks are so obviously superior to the others that they break the system somewhat. 
  • 3 points for equipment. There are only a few standard RPG swords and armor types. Most of the rest is devoted to wands and other usable items that I alternately used too soon or saved for no reason. I guess that's not the game's fault. I shouldn't have needed the cluebook to determine how much damage weapons do.
  • 0 points for no economy.
  • 2 points for a main quest.
  • 3 points for graphics, sound, and interface. They're all generally okay, but they all also have slight annoyances that ought not be there by 1993. The graphics try too hard; the sound is too sparse; the controls are just a little uncomfortable. Movement with the left side of the keyboard should have been the first step, maybe also a "rest" mechanic that involves more than just standing there. The ability to look up and down, as in Underworld, would have been nice. Great automap, though.
  • 4 points for gameplay. Linear and not very replayable, the game is nonetheless the right length for its content. Difficulty is extremely variable from level to level, but the average is good.
      
That gives us a final score of 25, a big step back from Ultima Underworld, which makes it all the more mystifying that Gary Whitta, writing for the December 1993 PC Gamer UK, wrote that, "Underworld fans will lap this up." The same magazine, in April 1994, named it the 49th best computer game of all time, "an admirable attempt to show that RPGs don't have to be boring, complex, and number-heavy." Just when I think I've heard the most absurd statements ever from a British gaming magazine, another comes along to top it. While we're at it, here's another from the December 1993 PC Format: "The best role-playing game to appear for a long, long while." It's hard to imagine that we have legions of players who refuse to accept Skyrim as an RPG, and yet in the 1990s, British magazines didn't even question whether the label applied to this relatively simplistic, short title.
     
In the January 1994 Computer Gaming World, Scorpia at least recognizes that the game isn't really an RPG ("Origin is advertising it quite accurately as an action game") and recognizes that beyond free-scrolling movement, the game has very little in common with Underworld. Bless her. She found the graphics "excellent," though--which I suppose they may have been for the era--and she seems to have found it a better action game than I did. It was even nominated for Action Game of the Year in 1994, but lost to Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow and the Flame.
   
MobyGames's review roundup shows most European magazines put it in the 70s and 80s. A year after the original release, as was the style at the time, Origin re-released the game on CD. Its principal addition is narrated cut scenes, including a new introductory cinematic in which Grandfather tells Kirt about his heritage on a bus bench, right in front of an ominous gargoyle statue.
     
Couldn't we have done this at home, next to a roaring fire?
     
The story otherwise proceeds about the same. Later cinematics play every time you transition to a new area, showing the situation and identifying the boss. Sometimes, new forms or puzzles also have cut scenes. Actor Keith Kelley, in perhaps his first commercial gig, does the narration.
       
Indeed they do.
     
Raven Software went on to a long career making Marvel games and working on parts of the Call of Duty franchise. MobyGames tags X-Men: Legends (2004), X-Men: Legends II - Rise of Apocalypse (2005), and Marvel Ultimate Alliance (2006) as RPGs, so we might see them again. 
    
In the future, I might not be as generous to games with such simple and nebulous character development, particularly if there are a lot of them. As a 13-hour mostly-action game, Shadow Caster contrasted well with the other games I was playing, which doesn't affect the score but makes the experience more interesting than my rating conveys.

47 comments:

  1. This game really sucked. I recall playing a bit, for a short while on someone else's computer in the college dorm room, way back when, and shrugged the game off. You're right, this game has nothing on Ultima Underworld. Even Heretic and Hexen are better, and they had nothing to do with RPG at all. Most overrated game of that year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people liked it enough to put work into ports / remakes, one with Game Maker for Windows, another Java-based, though it seems neither was finished.

      Also, another fan created a mod to have the enemy monsters from ShadowCaster show up in Heretic.

      Delete
    2. I only played this recently, but I cannot imagine doing it in 1993 and not being impressed.

      Doom had not been released yet (by a couple of months), much less Heretic or other clones, and while it's nowhere near as good as Ultima Underworld (one of the best CRPG of all time, eh) its gameplay would still be way more appealing to me than the mass of mindless shooters that would came soon after.

      Delete
    3. I finished it in a week and never played it again but I still remember being truly awed by the graphics of Shadow Caster on 1993.

      Delete
    4. One of the biggest turnoffs I found was how the world was grid like, with no diagonals. Underworld had already proven to us that geometry limitations were a thing of past dungeon crawlers and their pseudo-2D"3D" worlds. This seemed like it was going backwards.

      Delete
  2. nah I think it's a fun game mostly because of the shapeshifting puzzles. Probably the lowest score for the most entertainment.

    And graphics are still excellent artistically, cmon. I never understood how cold you are with games that show an extra effort on these like eob2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And why did it all have to be indoors?
    Limitations of the engine I suppose. After all it was "just" a Wolfenstein-3D engine with a few hacks (mostly implementing flight/swimming, height levels and a few UI extras), which only allowed for rooms and corridors that have only right angles, a low draw distance and no consideration for a Skybox. I think later some modders managed to hack the latter in as well, but that was many years after 1993.

    German magazines also constantly compared this to Ultima Underworld. Probably because it was published by Origin and because the term "Doom clone" hadn't entered public consciousness quite yet, what we know as FPSs had been very sparse up to that point (Wolf 3D wasn't even that well known in Europe at the time), and games with a (pseudo) 3D perspective had either been mostly flight simulators or RPGs up to that point, so a game in a 3D perspective with puzzles, combat and -gasp- an actual story seemed closer related to an RPG than anything else. So I understand why reviewers back in the day branded games as such. In hindsight it's definitely more of an FPS though, I would say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Engines around this time tended to have an indoor/outdoor choice as far as what they wanted to work. Basically them choosing between whether they alone decide where the player can go or having a giant outdoor space and occasionally putting something important down. I know from other games of this type, Sleeping Gods Lie and Star Cruiser, that it's possible to do both at once. In this case, they would have made a block that's just a see-through fence (or something), and would have had to have made the skybox larger for something that wouldn't have mattered that much.

      That said, the whole calling a FPS a RPG wasn't just restricted to Shadowcaster. (Which frankly, had better cause to be called one than most) Outside of the somewhat popular Midi Maze, they were usually either RPGs or some kind of simulation game. The two games I mentioned above, well, those were RPGs even though they don't really have much RPG to them. This idea lasted long enough that Hexen is considered a RPG based on the illusion of having RPG mechanics.

      Delete
    2. game genre naming is often full of people having wildly different ideas of what should fit in a category. I haven't seen it recently, but ages ago people would suggest Zelda is an RPG, and don't get me started about modern rogue-likes! :D

      Delete
    3. Oh yes. A common one is the idea that any "action adventure" game is also automatically an "adventure" game.

      Delete
  4. Didn't you find a bit suspicious (as if they we're suggesting that Veste could somehow return) the final scene of the ending, in which your grandfather puts a red clawed hand on your back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm capable of changing into a variety of creatures that have claws, including one that has red claws. So . . . no?

      Delete
  5. Shadowcaster is interesting game, I like it, I bought the big box after I finished the game, but I think, I like it more because it made by creators of Black Crypt :-) With comparation with Ultima Underworld looks Shadowcaster as demo. Flat levels, poor levels structure, right-angled walls, no true puzzles, no NPCs, no story. But, still I liked it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the system requirements for UU were notoriously high for its time... having only right-angled walls (and no way to look up or down) saves a lot on the amount of computation to draw the screen, and would allow this game to run on more lower-end hardware too.

      Delete
  6. The 'SSair' sounds like an acronym for the German Luftwaffe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I'm surprised I didn't see that. On Reddit, this thread would be full of replies insisting that THE S.S. AND THE GERMAN MILITARY WEREN'T THE SAME THING.

      Delete
  7. Since you seem to have missed it, the final shot of the ending cinematic is of grandpa's hand turning into a monster. It's really lame, but does explain why he appears again after seemingly being attacked by a deadly monster. His statement not making sense could be explained as it's someone else.

    Incidentally, the final two levels, added in the CD version, do add in some more interesting puzzles, but contrast it with some annoying fights.

    I think this worked as an actionized spin-off of UUW even if it wasn't one in actuality. Combat in this one doesn't feel like they just implimented it and gave up like so many others did once they got into the more 3D world design. Granted, it's questionable how much of this is an illusion, but an illusion is better than how so many other post-DM FPRPGs felt like you just held down a mouse button and swung your mouse back and forth until someone died.

    The big flaw with this game, which you noticed but were sort of insulated from, is the healing mechanics. See, when you're writing about it, when you stop you're doing something that allows you to be close to the game while doing something else. If you aren't writing about it, you have to wait. As someone who has been on both sides of it, being on the wrong side is very annoying. I think the intention is for it to be more tense, so you didn't know if something followed you to your resting place, but in practice this never happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, the protagonist is also a monster - grandpa's hand just looks like the hand of the Ssair form. So it doesn't really explain much, although the way it is done looks like it was supposed to set up some sequel.

      Delete
    2. Grandfather being a one of the "good" shapeshifters doesn't really make sense, since there was said to be only two left (Kirt's parents) who were killed in Veste's attack. So I'm taking "grandfather" as an imposter.

      As an aside, all the People in that end cutscene would be non shapeshifters, and of the lower, oppressed caste before Veste came along.

      Delete
    3. I didn't miss it, but I interpreted as Buck did. Hannah is technically correct, but the game isn't exactly consistent about its backstory in other ways.

      Delete
    4. The waiting didn't bother me for another reason, too: I like when there are real consequences to taking damage. Players who figure out strategies that minimize health loss are rewarded by not having to wait so long , but those who can't figure out such strategies still have a way forward even if all they want to do is charge up and attack every enemy.

      Delete
    5. Wondering if an eventual sequel would have revealed that there were no "good" shapeshifter and that Veste was a well intentioned extremist of the the "lesser pf two evils" kind as his parting words seem to imply.

      On a side note back in the days I left a couple of reviews (from italian magazines) divert my interest from this game. Reading your post I now have to question if, especially in one case, had even played the game as they were lamenting they had no control on when to shapeshift with it being dictated by the part of the level they were in (maybe they reviewed an early demo? It wasn't uncommon back then)

      Delete
    6. @Addict, Interesting, never thought of it that way. What discourse I've seen on the game tends to be overwhelmingly negative towards that or the controls with little other thought put towards it.

      @Ronconauta, probably not, but if it was it must have been very early, since I think the demo version around on the internet still allows you to control your shapeshifting. I think the realistic answer is that they weren't very good at the game and spent just enough time playing it to sneak it in through the deadline.

      Delete
    7. That's an interesting anecodote, Ronconauta. I honestly can't think how the game would work if shapeshifting occurred automatically. My suspicion is that the reviewers didn't play very long and missed some obvious interface features.

      Delete
  8. I don't see anything wrong with the British magazine quips. Y'see, there is a constant movement to "casualize" the historically complex and number-heavy RPG genre.
    Skyrim was/is a huge hit exactly for this reason IMHO.
    (Notice the evolution from the stat-heavy TES:Arena!)

    Is this good or bad? Dunno.
    If you over-simplify the details, you'll get today's "rpg"-s: straightforward action games with standard melee/ranged/stealth-crit skill trees.
    If you over-obfuscate the innards (complexities still present, but purposely hidden from the player), you'll get Dragon's Dogma (or the SaGa games, if you are a true aficionado :D )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for playing this one Chet; I have wondered every time I saw the name if I was missing out on not being able to figure out how to play when I had that demo CD in the 90s. Now I know that I wasn't really. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your criticisms of the game are all definitely fair and valid. I have a big soft spot for this game though. I had just got a 486 as a gift after using the family XT for years, and along with all the free/shareware games installed on it was this for some reason.

    So as you can imagine, it was nothing short of mind blowing after years of EGA and PC speaker games. Might and Magic III actually ran at one at about one frame a second on that XT, so this game looked incredible, and sounded incredible. The shapeshifting mechanic also felt so revolutionary, even if it's badly done and you're better off playing as Kirt for as long as possible to get your maximum mana as high as you can.

    I've actually started playing this again because of your posts, and I can definitely see the flaws, but it's also bringing back some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that my reviews, though not entirely glowing, have re-kindled your interest. The final score is never supposed to be the important part of my coverage anyway.

      Delete
  11. Not sure if they are already included in MobyGames' roundup of European reviews mentioned by Chet (didn't find it), so here is a quick summary of contemporary German reviews.

    Besides being fond of plays on "light" and "shadow" in their assessments and agreeing on the graphics being very good, several did also complain about or at least note a lack of story, NPCs / dialogue options, more inventory items and (more interesting) puzzles. One reviewer wished for a "rest" button (apparently he was not writing his piece while waiting to heal each time) and in general most thought it's not an RPG, but rather an action game, and a bit short, but fun for what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heinrich Lehnhardt review is (as often) pretty good: the graphics were incredibly fast (for the time being) also on lower 486 processors, i.e. much faster than Underworld, and he calls it an easy to digest action adventure.

      Delete
  12. Interestingly, wouldn't be the last time Origin would reuse an engine for a different type of game. After making the mistake of making an RPG with an excellent isometric action engine (Ultima 8), they would reuse the engine on an excellent isometric action game (Crusader No Remorse)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Crusader (both games) were really fun and Ultima VIII was at the beginning fun because the engine was really fresh and good.

      But this is not the Underworld engine afaik, right?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it perfectly adds as a final joke to the number ridiculous aspects of U8.

      Delete
  13. AlphabeticalAnonymousApril 8, 2024 at 9:29 AM

    For those who are viewing it, best wishes (& clear skies) for the upcoming American total solar eclipse in ~6 hours. It looks like prospects are pretty good up in Maine, for example... while down here in the Midwest the chances look a bit more dicey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why they didn't just close my university. Half the students have gone off to see it.

      Delete
    2. AlphabeticalAnonymousApril 8, 2024 at 12:06 PM

      Probably not too late to cancel any remaining classes and drive to see it. That's what I did -- but then, as an astronomer I may have a more plausible excuse. I've never seen a total solar eclipse, but by all reports it's supposed to be quite the transcendent experience.

      Delete
    3. No chances of seeing it from where I am, but maybe I'll re-read Asimov's Nightfall in solidarity...

      Delete
    4. Honestly, in Bangor we were supposed to be at something like 96%, so I figured that would be the moon occluding the sun with just a sliver of light on the side--still noticeable and interesting. Boy, was I wrong. It got a little dim for a while, but at no point did it look like anything was in front of the sun. I guess I should have done my research.

      Delete
    5. We had clouds here in Ohio, but not thick enough to matter - the light burned right through so you could still see it through glasses, and at totality it was plainly obvious.

      Delete
    6. AlphabeticalAnonymousApril 8, 2024 at 8:04 PM

      If you had looked at the sun with solar-filter glasses, you would have plainly noticed the occultation. If you looked closely at it without filters, please tip your opthamologist.

      We saw totality here also through a few thin clouds, not thick enough to matter. There was the sun's corona, blazing away! Pretty neat, although perhaps my expectations had been built up a smidge too high.

      Nonetheless, I think this recent XKCD comic is still fairly accurate: https://xkcd.com/2914/

      Delete
  14. "Raven Software went on to a long career making Marvel games and working on parts of the Call of Duty franchise."

    Wow, that's an interesting way to undersell Raven Software's oeuvre :p

    They became a rather well-regarded FPS developer who created some great entries into the genre. Heretic, Hexen, Star Trek Elite Force, Soldier of Fortune, some of the Jedi Knight games, the 2009 Wolfenstein, Singularity.

    They were a great FPS studio before they were condemned to the CoD mines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit OT, but since you mention Jedi Knight: coincidentally the Digital Antiquarian just covered the first JK game (alias Dark Forces II, by LucasArts, not Raven).

      Delete
  15. XMen Legends and Ultimate Alliance are quite fun RPGs, so hopefully the Addict does get there! Although, I may be biased as a long-time Marvel fan who really enjoyed the number of Easter eggs and deep cut comics references in both.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, this was unfair.

    Firstly, as far as 1993 goes, this game was awesome. As far as shooter mechanics go, this game would be very advanced up until late 90es at least.

    Shooters that would be able to implement that "outdoor" are still a number of years away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this assessment as "unfair" seems unfair.

      Firstly, as far as blogs go, this is a CRPGAddict blog, not an 'FPSAddict' or 'ActiongamesAddict' blog. It shouldn't be so surprising that an action game without character creation or NPCs, with no economy, no side quests, a bare backstory, limited inventory, not much tactical depth of combat/encounter choices etc. etc. does not do that well with a reviewer and on a scale who are specifically geared towards CRPGs and value these elements.

      Secondly, regarding "as far as 1993 goes, this game was awesome": the GIMLET ranks all games as they are now, on the same criteria, independently of their year of creation and any awesomeness at that time.

      Delete

I welcome all comments about the material in this blog, and I generally do not censor them. However, please follow these rules:

1. Do not link to any commercial entities, including Kickstarter campaigns, unless they're directly relevant to the material in the associated blog posting. (For instance, that GOG is selling the particular game I'm playing is relevant; that Steam is having a sale this week on other games is not.) This also includes user names that link to advertising.

2. Please avoid profanity and vulgar language. I don't want my blog flagged by too many filters. I will delete comments containing profanity on a case-by-case basis.

3. NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. It makes it impossible to tell who's who in a thread. If you don't want to log in to Google to comment, either a) choose the "Name/URL" option, pick a name for yourself, and just leave the URL blank, or b) sign your anonymous comment with a preferred user name in the text of the comment itself.

4. I appreciate if you use ROT13 for explicit spoilers for the current game and upcoming games. Please at least mention "ROT13" in the comment so we don't get a lot of replies saying "what is that gibberish?"

5. Comments on my blog are not a place for slurs against any race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or mental or physical disability. I will delete these on a case-by-case basis depending on my interpretation of what constitutes a "slur."

Blogger has a way of "eating" comments, so I highly recommend that you copy your words to the clipboard before submitting, just in case.

I read all comments, no matter how old the entry. So do many of my subscribers. Reader comments on "old" games continue to supplement our understanding of them. As such, all comment threads on this blog are live and active unless I specifically turn them off. There is no such thing as "necro-posting" on this blog, and thus no need to use that term.

I will delete any comments that simply point out typos. If you want to use the commenting system to alert me to them, great, I appreciate it, but there's no reason to leave such comments preserved for posterity.

I'm sorry for any difficulty commenting. I turn moderation on and off and "word verification" on and off frequently depending on the volume of spam I'm receiving. I only use either when spam gets out of control, so I appreciate your patience with both moderation tools.