Sunday, September 6, 2026

Ravenloft: Town Without Pity

Summer is a bit slow on the uptake.
       
Last session, the servants of Lord Dhelt of Elturel chased a burglar into a forest to retrieve a holy symbol that he stole. They killed him, but shortly after they retrieved the symbol, they were transported through a mist to the Svalich Woods in an alternate dimension. There, they started to hear about the enigmatic ruler of the place, Count Strahd von Zarovich. They found a couple of companions, but the ranger Quill was poisoned in a fight, prompting the adventurers to cut short their exploration of the Old Svalich Road South and head directly to the village of Barovia, hoping to find a cleric, temple, or potion that would cure the condition.
      
It becomes clear quite quickly that this isn't the kind of friendly "service town" of many RPGs. It is depressed and deserted. Most of the buildings are deserted; some are boarded up; the few people on the street refuse to talk with us. Sound effects include shrieking cats, crying babies, and howling beasts. Summer compares it to towns in the Forgotten Realms that had been ravaged by war.
       
This man has nothing to say to us.
        
We explore in east-west strips (despite Summer's suggestion below). Encounters:
   
  • As we enter, the paladin Summer suggests we try to find "its first citizen, a mayor, burgomaster, or such," maybe in a large, prominent building near the edge of town.
  • There are four "Strahd skeletons" (skeletons on poles with notes pinned to their chests advising the reader to follow Strahd's laws) clustered right at the entrance. Jeez, man, we get it. And how did you duplicate the same exact handwriting on so many notes? 
     
The desolate streets of Barovia.
         
  • A house with a skeleton. It has a broadsword, shield, and two throwing daggers.
  • Some warehouses in the southwest are empty except for barrels and boxes that I can't interact with. Fhalken explains: "Trade has become a forgotten art in Barovia. Few travel, and fewer still can afford to transport valuables from place to place."
    
What could possibly be after "contact manager at"? A phone number?
        
  • Three broken ones (a grotesque, humanoid enemy) attack as we enter a deserted building. I try a few times, but I can't kill them without losing someone. We leave it for later.
  • Several houses have people sitting in chairs, but they refuse to say anything to us.
  • One old woman does speak with us, but only to make mad rantings.  
      
Someone's off her medication.
        
Summer notes that we're committing burglary when we enter some of the buildings. I wonder if these comments are tied to her class (paladin) or alignment. 
      
Summer rationalizes our trespasses.
        
  • We're attacked by a brigand as we enter one house. We kill him and find a stairway down to a lower level behind him. The map shows us in the "Lesser Catacombs Beneath Barovia." However, we soon run into a locked door and cannot continue. 
  • Items found in miscellaneous houses: battle axe, spear, Potion of Speed, Scroll of Raise Dead, broadsword, Potions of Extra Healing, Scroll of Negative Plane Protection, Scroll of Fortify, Scroll of Fireball, Scroll of Neutralize Poison, dagger, Oil of Fiery Burning, Keoghtom's Ointment, chain coif, chainmail, Wand of Fireballs, white robe, bow and a bunch of arrows, shield, warhammer, footman's pick, lots of stones. I slowly identify them with "Improved Identify"; when finished, I have several swords +1 and a warhammer +2.
  • There are a lot of cats curled up in the vacant houses.
  • An attractive, noble-looking woman in a vacant house offers to join the party. Her name is Tatian. She's a Level 4 neutral good half-elf fighter. As we don't really need another fighter, we leave her there.
      
An unnecessary fighter.
         
  • The party members frequently comment on how bleak everything is.
        
I want to know what evil party members have to say.
           
Brigands and darklings attack as soon as night falls. They're not hard to kill, but their sheer number threatens to overwhelm us. It becomes clear that we're going to need to rest at night. We can't sleep while Quill is poisoned, but a commenter alerts me that Keoghtom's Ointment cures poison. I waste it on that purpose, continue on, and then Quill gets poisoned again by a broken one. Of course, I accidentally save while he's poisoned, forcing me to reload from almost the beginning of this session. 
      
Bandits roam the night.
        
True to what the manual promised, Fhalken and Velika cannot attack the moment we enter an indoor area. That limits Fhalken's utility considerably. I hope I'll meet a cleric or another mage soon.
   
Velika can at least cast her spells. The game freezes during spellcasting, allowing accurate targeting. "Magic Missile" is as useful as always.
   
Continuing on:
      
  • A large house crawling with broken ones has something I can't quite identify in one of the squares. It looks like wriggling green vines descending from the ceiling.
 
What the hell is this?
        
  • An old man with an eyepatch sitting in front of his fire. In poetic language, he introduces himself as a fallen paladin facing an impending death. We ask what we can do to help, and he asks us to find a holy symbol he abandoned in chambers beneath the village—presumably the Lesser Catacombs we found earlier. He tells us to take the footman's pick (which we've already found) and use it to dig west of a stump to find the key. He promises us multiple magical items if we return with the symbol. We later find the stump and the key.
     
I think if I were a paladin trapped in a pocket dimension, ruled by an immortal vampire, I'd lose faith, too.
      
  • A tavern seems to be open. It offers several NPCs. The first is a woman with a masked face and an unmasked chest. She rebuffs our attempts to get to know her, saying only that she wants to get out of Ravenloft.
    
So that's why this town is so desolate: COVID.
        
  • A Vistani—presumably the one we met earlier—offers to sell a potion that will allow us to escape the fog for 15 coins. Since I don't have a single coin, I have to decline. He suggests he'll take us to his camp if we allow ourselves to be blindfolded. I leave this for later.
  • The innkeeper is named Bray Martikova. He welcomes us to the tavern and has quite a lot to say. Strahd's laws are to pay taxes and anything else Strahd wants; Strahd's castle is to the north, but hardly anyone sees him; we should talk to the burgomaster. We do not, curiously, have any options to order a drink or a room.
     
Wait. Helm is a deity in this setting, too?
         
  • There are rooms where we can rest, though since we can rest anywhere, that's not much of a boon. The inn has an entire second floor with nothing of value that we can find. 
  • A resident is mourning his dead son. I think he might be the same guy we already encountered in the forest. 
  • The buildings have a fun set of decorations, like statutes and paintings. The image below gives some examples of this environmental art. On the negative side, hardly anything is interactive. 
         
Some of the game's environmental graphics.
       
Summer feels a dark premonition before we enter a house. We're confronted by the ghost of a jeweler named Strobel. A gang of thieves entered his house one night looking for jewels. Although he handed them over, the leader of the gang, Grymig, killed Strobel and his family. Later, Grymig somehow escaped death and lives in the cemetery as the Lord of Ghouls. He demands that we avenge him and possesses Summer to ensure that we do so.
     
The once-humble jeweler possesses Summer.
        
This seems like something we'd better resolve, so we discontinue our explorations of the town and try to figure out where this cemetery is.
   
We leave town via the north gate and find ourselves in the Old Church Grounds, which seems to be promising. The large map has a large church on it and one exit, maybe to the cemetery, but it seems to be locked. Seeking the key, we enter the church. Strobel warns us that if we dally too long, he'll tear Summer apart. 
      
Note how the game depicts possession.
        
"Cherish and obey the land but defy it not," reads a message on the wall of the church entrance. Unfortunately, that's as far as we can go. The door beyond is locked. We don't have the key. We look around the area a bit, trusting that the automap will show us if we've missed something, but we don't find anything.
      
That doesn't seem like a "but."
       
I generally like to deal with what happens to me, but I don't want to be another three hours into the game and suddenly have Strobel lose his patience, so I reluctantly reload from before his possession and skip his house.
   
With the paladin's key, we open the door in the Lesser Catacombs. Immediately on the other side of the door, we run into a living wall: a grotesque, undulating assemblage of faces and limbs. (Summer: "By Helm and Lathander both! What is this thing?") Fortunately, it's static. After it wallops us in melee range, we stand back and use the old "throw the dagger and pick it up again" trick to kill it slowly, but with no damage to us. A fireball roars down the corridor towards us from a distant source on the other side, but we manage to dodge it.
     
The old "picking up the same knife and throwing it repeatedly" trick works on this living wall.
       
It takes me a couple of hours to clear the dungeon, which is swarming with wererats and plenty more of those living walls, blocking access to rooms until I destroy them. Fireballs shoot down corridors frequently, requiring me to dodge or suck up the damage. 
     
Wererats attack as I enter this room.
        
Fhalken is useless in the rear rank, so I reluctantly give Quill a composite longbow and quiver, then have him switch places with Fhalken. This allows everyone to participate in battle (Velika has throwing daggers), but picking up all the items afterwards is no fun. 
 
I ultimately have to find two keys, which open the way to a central chamber where the holy symbol resides.
     
What do you suppose a "winged" holy symbol depicts?
        
Back on the surface, the old paladin is grateful for the artifact. True to his word, he opens an adjacent room, in which I find a paladin's sword +3, a paladin's dagger +2, an adamantite chain helm, and an Arrow of Slay Undead. I'm glad I took a paladin. 
      
The reward room. Note how everything in the game is on the floor. Although the buildings have shelves and tables, it does not appear they're capable of holding objects the player can pick up.
    
I have to wrap up this session early. I had meant to talk to the burgomaster. I guess that will wait for next time. Ravenloft  is growing on me, certainly more so than Pagan. I still don't like the controls, but it has a solid atmosphere, with a Dantean sense of talking to people who are already dead but perhaps don't know it. I look forward to seeing where the plot goes.
   
Time so far: 7 hours
   
****
   
   
Next entry in this series
  09/05/2026 
 

62 comments:

  1. It would have been fun to call this entry "Ravenloft: Strobel's Possession"!

    The effect of Strobel is gung guvf cp pnaabg nggnpx be ertnva fcryyf va nernf haeryngrq gb guvf dhrfg, nygubhtu ur pna fgvyy pnfg. Gur cp jvyy arire npghnyyl or gbea ncneg.

    Helm is not a deity in Ravenloft, and Bray is not from the Forgotten Realms. Maybe he heard that name from a traveler?

    I'm reasonably sure that a "paladin's sword" means it was formerly owned by a paladin, not that only a paladin can use it. This is not quite the Holy Avenger sword!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kinda curious how many parallels there are between Ravenloft and Pagan - both have the protagonists unwillingly transported to and trapped in small, grimdark, essentially doomed worlds ruled by tyrants and full of undead.

    Dreamforge got *really* creative with enemy visuals in Anvil of Dawn; it's fun to see some predecessors there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a key difference here is that gur punenpgref va eniraybsg ner irel zhpu gur urebrf, naq gur ningne va cntna vf qrpvqrqyl abg. Orpnhfr tneevbgg jnagrq gb grnpu gur cynlre gung fbzrgvzrf lbh unir gb qb rivy guvatf sbe n tbbq pnhfr... V'z abg fher vs gung rira pbhagf nf n zbeny yrffba gubhtu!

      Delete
    2. "Hey, when I said I wanted to be isekaid into a mysterious land, I didn't mean pocket dimension of dread!" /jk

      Delete
    3. @Radiant, you can consider it a mercy killing - the classical horrible end vs. endless horror dilemma.

      Delete
    4. @Radiant

      The funniest thing is that nyy gur onq fghss lbh qb va Cntna vf pbzcyrgryl haarprfnel - lbh ner sbeprq gb qb vggb nqinapr gur cybg, ohg vg qbrfa'g uryc lbh ng nyy! Fb gur Ningne ybbxf yvxr n shpxvat zbeba.

      Delete
  3. Ravenloft: Key Possession

    This game, like many, is largely about finding keys. Key for this key for that. I’m curious if a Knock spell would work on any of the main quest gatekeeping locks.

    I wonder if Strahd is a misunderstood villain…he just wants someone to find the key to his heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of those cases where the game design would not stand out so negatively if the rest of the elements (narrative, visual) didn’t stand out so positively. Because the key hunting was/is kind of an accepted trope in blobbers otherwise.

      Delete
  4. "Quill gets poisoned again by a broken one."

    I didn't know 'Broken Ones' were a type of enemy and assumed he got poisoned by a broken bottle or some such - maybe an incentive to capitalize enemy names as well as proper nouns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find the combat in this game to be very hard. It's too fast, too real-time, by the time I'm done switching pages on my spell book or clicking on my fighters weapon, half of my team is dead.
    I'm slightly exaggerating, but it feels often very overwhelming. Any tips?
    Good thing the spells themselves are instakills most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d try turning on stepwise movement if you haven’t already - combat is a lot more manageable with a clearer sense of where you are, where the monsters are, and who can hit who when.

      Delete
    2. I haven't tried it since the beginning. I'll give it a shot next time. I feel like someone warned me about a bug that can occur when you switch between the two, though.

      Delete
    3. I played through all the games in this engine a couple years ago don’t remember any bugs as such from switching - there are a couple of places where obstacles block you in stepwise mode but you can maneuver around them in free-motion mode, but that was mostly an issue in Menzobarranzen, not the Ravenloft games IIRC. Could be there’s something I didn’t run into, though!

      Delete
    4. @Chet: Scribe mentioned, based on his experience with Menzoberranzan (not having played Ravenloft), that transitioning from free movement to 3D movement might get you stuck if you do it close to an obstacle.

      Delete
    5. The first time I played the game when it was released, I thought the same as you: I died very easily.

      However, after giving it more thought and trying again, I realized that the game isn’t difficult, except for the final battle.

      It’s actually similar to Lands of Lore: when fighting, you shouldn’t necessarily stand still. You need to move around and attack, especially since the combat isn’t strictly grid-based (you can play using grid movement, but it feels like the game wasn’t really designed for that, as enemies move within the squares and it can sometimes make combat awkward).

      As for spells, you need to learn how they work, and it’s best to keep the spell window open for the mage.

      Once you understand these things, the game is not difficult at all. In fact, it’s one of the easiest RPGs of its era when it comes to combat.

      Delete
  6. "I want to know what evil party members have to say."

    You can't create evil characters it this and subsequent games. I think, Dark Sun has started this short trend among the AD&D games, lasting until Baldur's Gate came out. And as far as I know, most, if not all, of the PC's quips are not class, gender or race-specific.

    "Fhalken and Velika cannot attack the moment we enter an indoor area."

    Characters in the back row can attack with two-handed weapons. There was a two-handed sword back in the Goblyn camp, suggesting it is Fhalken's default weapon. Velika has a staff in her starting gear, IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, right. I've already forgotten character creation.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, that was part of the general whitewashing in the '90s that saw Demons and Devil turned into Tanar'ri and Baatezu. Casualties of the backlash from the '80s satanic panic.

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure about that. 2e had the names of the lower planes denizens changed, but all alignments were available for PCs.

      I always thought computer games needed character to not be evil because they need the motivation to defeat evil. Having a more response world would be mor expensive.

      Delete
    4. Going even further back: you couldn't create evil characters in the DragonLance games either.

      Delete
    5. In Ravenloft this has some sense at least - by the PnP rules evil characters are corrupted in the Ravenloft to become a new dread lords, who are NPCs controlled by DM.

      And in Dark Sun... Well... You can say that good/evil in Dark Sun is related to preserver/defiler ethical conflict, and defilers are the enemy in the plot, so the plot would make no sense with evil chars...

      Delete
  7. I always found the Living Walls to be quite fascinating. So grotesque and flavorful. Helped firm Ravenloft as a place of horror for me. I was glad when I found them in this game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. - regarding combat in side dungeons -

    The 2 party members in the back can still use ranged weapons (bows, throwing daggers, etc.) and some melee weapons like two handed swords or halberds.

    - regarding the dead jeweler -

    in rot13

    Vs lbh ragre uvf ubhfr gbb rneyl va gur tnzr lbh pnaabg va gvzr niratr uvf qrngu. Gurer ner frireny dhrfgf vaibyrq gb haybpx gur nern gb niratr uvz. V unir gb grfg jung unccraf rknpgyl. V nyjnlf erybnqrq. Gur tbnfg cbffrffrf bar bs lbhe punenpgref. V jvyy unir gb frr jung unccraf gura.

    - regardign the half elven maiden -

    in rot13

    Gur unys ryira jbzna vf pnyyrq Gnglna. Nsgre lbh ivfvg Fgenuq va uvf pnfgyr ur jvyy tvir lbh n frny/ xrl gb n pnir. Vs lbh tb gb gur pnir gb rkcyber vg lbh jvyy rapbhagre n urapuzra bs Fgenuq be fb ur vagebqhprf uvzfrys. Vs lbh unccra gb unir gnglna va lbhe cnegl gur urapuzna jvyy znxr fbzr erznex gung znl orgenl gur Urapuzna nf Fgenuq, cebivqrq lbh xabj gur onpxfgbel.

    Abeznyyl lbh unir 2 CPf naq hc gb 2 ACPf pna wbva. Va Gur pnirf lbh ner sbeprq gb gnxr gur urapuzna jvgu lbh naq Veztneqr n pyrevp. Veztneq pna bcra n frny qrrcre va gur pnir. Va gur pnir vf n cbegny. Vs lbh pebff gur cbegny jvgu gur urapuzna naq Veztneqr obgu jvyy inavfu. Vs lbh znantr gb pebff jvgu gur urapuzna naq Gnglna. Gur gjb jvyy inavfu. V arire gevrq jung unccraf vs lbh "xvyy bss" lbhe 2aq CP naq ercynpr vg jvgu Gnglna. V pna'g gryy vs gurer ner zber rnfgre rttf vaibyivat ure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The 2 party members in the back can still use ranged weapons (bows, throwing daggers, etc.) and some melee weapons like two handed swords or halberds." If I wasn't clear, I did equip the rear characters with bows and throwing daggers. I just hate picking up after them. I'll try the two-handed weapons, thanks.

      Delete
    2. And please pick a name for future comments!

      Delete
    3. Since you've equipped a bow and arrows, have you checked if the arrows deal any damage or did you do a hex edit? I understood there are a couple bugs in the Steam/GOG version as mentioned in these two comments.

      Delete
    4. I can confirm that arrows don't work in Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession (they deal zero damage). That includes regular arrows, magical arrows, and the Arrows of Slay Undead +3.

      Delete
    5. According to a walktrough about the jeweler : Gur Wrjryyre'f tubfg guerngraf gb xvyy gur cbffrffrq cnegl zrzore, naq erzvaqf gur cnegl bs uvf/ure vzcraqvat qbbz jurarire gur cnegl zbirf orgjrra nernf. Guvf unf pnhfrq fbzr cynlref gb cnavp naq erireg gb na rneyvre fnir. Va cenpgvpr ubjrire, guvatf ner abg nf gentvp nf gurl frrz, naq gur cbffrffrq cnegl zrzore fhssref bayl n zvabe unaqvpnc. Frr gur yngre fhofrpgvba pbapreavat gur Wrjryyre'f Ubhfr sbe zber qrgnvyf.

      Delete
    6. @pie Indeed, that's my walkthrough and so I confirm that too ;)

      Delete
  9. Oh, I just noticed what you don't use the Ba'al Verzi dagger you found soon after arriving in Barovia. It is a +2 weapon with a very short cooldown. I suggest using it and Paladin's dagger +2 as the main weapons for the front row characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. I thought I identified everything, but I don't remember seeing that. I must have ditched it.

      Delete
    2. That explains you having some troubles with fighting so far. It is also a bit of a lapse of player's judgment, I'm sorry to say. You find an uniqly-named weapon hidden with the some other useful gear and think: "Bah, I won't even try using it, my no-name starting sword must be better than this!" Besides, a player playing blindly may want to keep such an item because it might be a quest item (it is not, but that is not the point).

      Delete
  10. Miscellaneous reactions:

    What could possibly be after "contact manager at"? Three things I can think of: 1. a bar; 2. his address; 3. whatever information would be enough in this setting to cast a Send spell.

    Oil of Fiery Burning To go with the Dagger of Pointy Sticking.

    Mask woman is being pretty rude! Aren't you also trying to get out of Ravenloft? Anyway I guess she has given you a hint about the map.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely enjoying learning about this one (even more than how I enjoy all your posts I mean), given it was from that era when I often uncritically accepted people telling me that a game was bad and skipped some things I might have enjoyed otherwise, as I clearly had way too many young teenage things on my mind to waste any time on something as silly as MY OWN RESEARCH. Pagan was another one I just permanently passed up from bad word of mouth, though of course your ongoing series there is making me think those mouths' words were correct.

    Hilariously Ultima Online really helped me snap back into reality about others' views versus my own experience--it was already my favorite game ever even during the beta period, yet from reading reviews you would have thought it was the worst thing to ever happen to computers. Oh hey, that might have been the beginning of the extremely online reviewer gimmick where the same person keeps making content about how terrible one specific game is because the views keep coming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really liking this one. The graphics are pretty decent for this style of game. The writing looks strong and the environmental storytelling is good too. And of course, it's a good read.

    Also interesting to have two isekai style (taken to a other world) games at once

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the graphics are decent, but I find them bland when compared to Lands of Lore, or the Dark Savant Wizardry, or even the Eye of Beholder 2.

      Delete
    2. In the first "Lands of Lore" and the "Eye of the Beholder" games, the view of your surroundings was restricted to a small window, and I suppose that made their graphics look better; the graphics from "Ravenloft" mades me think "we need a higher resolution to depict this properly".

      Delete
    3. @Agrivar Ravenloft also has the smooth 3D movement which the earlier blobbers don't. This is the transition era between 2D and 3D graphics and it's expected for it to be a bit messy, it's the tradeoff you get for a smoother / more immersive experience.

      Delete
    4. A bit of math on that... EOB's and LOL's view covers 33% of the screen, UU2 about 42%, and Ravenloft about 50%. FPS games like the 1992 Wolfenstein go up to about 72%.

      However, UU/UU2 are technologically more advanced than Ravenloft (e.g. they have non-square walls and sloping floors, which Ravenloft does not). I suppose Origin was often a frontrunner when it comes to technology, and SSI was not.

      Delete
    5. I might like the look of EoB more I think. Not sure why. But I like this from a "I haven't seen quite this combination before" angle. Sometimes just needs to be a little bit of new. It sets a good atmosphere

      Delete
    6. Agree, the graphics are overall good, but feel a step backwards in places. The outdoor graphics were an immersion killer for me, despite the smooth scrolling.

      The Castle Ravenloft design is good and satisfyingly interconnected, but it would have been so much better (and true to the source material) with Ultima Underworld-style lighting variations and vertical features within levels.

      Delete
  13. There's a creepy event much later if you check back in on the guy mourning his dead son

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Care to elaborate? You can write in rot13 to avoid spoilers.

      Delete
    2. Gur byq zna fzvyrf nf ur terrgf lbh. "Zl fba unf erghearq ng ynfg!"

      Arne uvz, n qnex svther jvgu tybjvat rlrf jnvgf.

      Delete
    3. Is that the woodsman you're talking about? I don't remember him being old. Could you describe the circumstances when you'd check upon him and this happens (in rot13)? Thanks.

      Delete
  14. See, this is what I consider a pleasant beautiful game, and as other commenter said, a good step into the later gorgeous gothic vibe blobber Anvil of Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  15. The "Tatian" character seems to be based on "Ireena Kolyana", an NPC which appears in (I think all) the versions of the "Ravenloft" adventure (including its gamebook adaptation: "Master of Ravenloft").

    If you search "Ireena Kolyana" in Google Images, one of the results should be the original art from which its "Strahd's Possesion" portrait comes, although that original art spoils something about this character which I don't know if it has any relevance to "Strahd's Possession" plot. Also, I wonder why it is called "Tatian" instead of "Ireena", because the "Tatian" name can also be considered a spoiler!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What do you suppose a "winged" holy symbol depicts?

    An angel would be the obvious answer, but your screenshot seems to disagree.

    It is somehow blurry, but it looks like a winged sword, or maybe it is an angel behind a sword taller than him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find any deities with that symbol in either Ravenloft OR the Forgotten Realms.

      Delete
    2. It was just an aside, and as usual, we're probably overthinking it, but "an angel" isn't obvious to me. Even to the extent that D&D has angels (celestials, right?), I'm not sure we've seen examples of them appearing as holy symbols.

      Delete
    3. Overthinking is fun.

      In the real world, if you tell me "holy" and "winged", the first thing that comes to my mind is "angel" (even though I know that they are never described with wings in the Bible; it only says that they fly). Afterwards, I checked the screenshot closely, but the "angel" idea was stuck already in my mind.

      I don't know much about angels in D&D.

      Maybe the inhabitants of the Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft did the same as Catholic Christians in real life, who created statues and relics (later rejected by Protestant Christians as "idols") and prayed to them as aspects of Divinity.

      Delete
    4. There's rather extensive books that tell us what the inhabitants of FR and RL did. Personally I prefer if writers in such worlds use existing gods (with their extensive backstory) rather than invent their own (with little or no story around them).

      Delete
  17. The holy symbol seems to be a winged sword; I've seen similar iconography in some Space Marine Chapters from Warhammer 40.000 (Blood Angels and Dark Angels come to mind), and I suppose that the wings are supposed to be angelic, and angels (or daeva, or celestials, or whatever name it is used in the current edition) are servants from the Good-aligned deitys, so that holy symbol is depicting the gods of Good giving their support to those who wield a weapon on their name.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Le niveau des catacombes et la quête associée est pour information non présente dans la version disquette.
    C'est une quête rajoutée avec la version CD ainsi que le pnjs qui permet de la lancer.
    Je l'ai découvert par la suite en regardant un walkthrough du jeu sur youtube, en comparant avec ma version disquette et en cherchant sur un moteur de recherche les différences.
    C'est la même chose pour les pnjs se déplaçant en ville, ils ne sont pas présents dans la version disquette. J'imagine que ça a été créé pour rendre la ville plus vivante car dans la version disquette, à part les pnjs qui ont quelque chose à dire, il n'y a personne donc cela fait très très vide. Là c'est un peu plus vivant même si cela reste une ville assez désolée.

    Les bruitages et les musiques accentuent cette sensation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. After having a bad experience with Menzoberranzan many years ago, I had always shied away from the two Ravenloft games (which, as I understand it, use the same engine), but your playthrough is making me itch to try them out. I had been pondering a Baldur's Gate replay in the near future, but this might get slotted into the stack first (once I beat Mina the Hollower, that is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve played them all and Menzo is my least favorite of the bunch - the Ravenloft games have a lot more variety and more NPCs to interact with, with nothing like the long, linear, character-less slog that is Menzo’s first half, and the horror-movie vibes are way more fun than “generic fantasy, but it’s dark and underground”.

      Delete
    2. Same here. I reasonably enjoyed both Ravenloft games, but I hardly played ten minutes before I quit Menzoberranzan. I don't even quite remember what it was, but something about it really irked me. That doesn't mean you'll like Ravenloft, but I would not judge the two other games from your experience with Menzo.

      Delete
    3. Another computer game reviewer, WiliamSRD, commented that SSI has a knack for periodically developing a brilliant game engine and then keeping it around with minimal updates until they're absolutely forced to acknowledge it's overstayed its welcome.

      Menzoberranzan is to Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession as Pools of Darkness is to Pool of Radiance.

      Delete
    4. WIlliamSRD might be right about SSI's tendencies, but I wouldn't put any pejorative spin on it. I'd happily have kept playing Gold Box games--maybe one per year or so--up until the eve of the Infinity Engine. Maybe even beyond.

      Delete
  20. Helm is known there because you're not the first Faerun resident to come through the mists...and won't be the last.

    The innkeeper probably doesn't offer you a drink or a room because you're broke.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What could possibly be after "contact manager at"? A phone number?

    I know you're joking but in Ravenloft, it is possible that a merchant would have a telephone. Although it (probably) wouldn't work.

    ReplyDelete

The CRPG Addict welcomes all comments about the material in this blog and other comments. COMMENTS ARE MODERATED, however, and will only appear once approved. Please do not resubmit a comment if you don't see it appear immediately.

If your comment does not appear, it is likely because one of the following rules violations:

1. DO NOT COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY. If you do not want to log in or cannot log in with a Google Account, choose the "Name/URL" option and type a name (you can leave the URL blank). If that doesn't work, use the "Anonymous" option but put your name of choice at the top of the entry. I will only make exceptions to this if your comment is so good that I don't want to lose it.

2. Do not link to any commercial entities, including Kickstarter campaigns, unless they're directly relevant to the material in the associated blog posting. (For instance, that GOG is selling the particular game I'm playing is relevant; that Steam is having a sale this week on other games is not.) This also includes user names that link to advertising.

3. Please avoid profanity and vulgar language. I don't want my blog flagged by too many filters. I will delete comments containing profanity on a case-by-case basis.

4. I appreciate if you use ROT13 for explicit spoilers for the current game and upcoming games. Please at least mention "ROT13" in the comment so we don't get a lot of replies saying "what is that gibberish?"

5. Comments on my blog are not a place for slurs against any race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or mental or physical disability. I will delete these on a case-by-case basis depending on my interpretation of what constitutes a "slur."

6. Do not attempt to doxx me or any other commenter.

7. If your comment points out a typo or mistake, I will gratefully fix it, but I won't post the comment.

Blogger has a way of "eating" comments, so I highly recommend that you copy your words to the clipboard before submitting, just in case.

I read all comments, no matter how old the entry. So do many of my subscribers. Reader comments on "old" games continue to supplement our understanding of them. As such, all comment threads on this blog are live and active unless I specifically turn them off. There is no such thing as "necro-posting" on this blog, and thus no need to use that term.