Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Pagan: The Books of Pagan

        
I'm a sucker for lore, so this bonus entry chronicles all of the books I'm finding in Pagan: Ultima VIII. It will be updated continually until the game is finished. (Note that this entry published at the same time as "Pagan: Skull Island." Don't miss the previous one!)
      
Adventure Quarterly, Vol. IX
An issue devoted to the Forgotten Riches of Knarl. Knarl was a dungeon deep in the earth where magical weapons were forged and magicians were trained. Somehow, it got sealed off, maybe by an earthquake, maybe by a secret sect of monks called the Dark Brothers. Again, I wonder if this place is to be found in-game.
    
Adventure Quarterly, Vol. XII
Discusses the legend of an enormous Ship of Doom that was sent to find a solution to a particularly devastating winter. The ship never returned, but the weather did let up, suggesting that the crew might have found someone to help.
          
The Beauty of Rhian by Toran
A pleasant if prosaic ode to Toran's wife. Toran is the man executed at the beginning of the game; Rhian is the woman kneeling and crying on the docks.
      
You tempted fate with those final lines, Toran.
         
The Big Book of Adventure
Talks about common adventuring obstacles, including lever puzzles, traps, chests, spell chits (scrolls), mazes, and Tricks of the Trixter (exploding books).
     
Brogdan's Helpful Guide to Mushrooms by Brogdan
Blue Bulgie and Green Capper are tasty, but a blue mushroom called Daemon's Paw is often mistaken for the former and causes various maladies. The yellow and green Adventurer's Friend heals; the Stench Mushroom keeps most monsters at bay but attracts undead; the Fire Mushroom explodes. 
      
Captain's Report 
Guard Captain Stovan recommends a guard named Grommet for bravery citation. Grommet recently saved a little girl from a troll—then accidentally killed the girl while attacking the troll. (See Honor Lost below.) "She was only a peasant, however, and of no import." This place is messed up.
         
The Chronicle of Pagan
Replicates the first couple of pages of Bentic's history of the land that comes with the game. 
     
De-Venoming the Kith by Ioria
Detailed instructions for removing the venom sack from a kith, a type of giant spider-like creature that the Pagans domesticate for silk and food. It's funny seeing the word used this way since I recently finished Avowed, in which "kith" is used as a term for sentient humanoid races.
    
Dispelling Myths: The Truth About Magic
Investigates accounts of magic that are not based on the elemental titans. These include a fisherwoman named Kilandra who claimed a ghost could cast spells (the author decided she was mad; see What the Fish Tell Me below); mysterious lights on a plateau (an ornery hermit on the Plateau named Mythran said that they don't exist); and a magical axe called Deceiver, supposedly found on an island in Stone Cove (the author says the island doesn't exist). Mythran is in the game manual, given as a master of thaumaturgy.
     
Ear of Arricorn by Kram, Volumes III and IV 
I haven't found the first two volumes yet. These two describe an outcast called a "Shadowlander" entering a tavern, getting insulted by a herdsman, and shoving his fist down the herdsman's throat and literally turning him inside out. The rest of the tavern-goers then flee for the hills.
     
Earthen Magic
A description of the first two spells afforded to necromancers, their syllables, and the reagents they require:
   
  • "Open Ground" (DES POR YLEM): Blood and Blackmoor.
  • "Death Speak" (KAL WIS CORP): Blood and Bone.
     
Expedition Journal, Book II 
Chronicles Days 17-22 of the journey of a party from somewhere to Tenebrae. The party is menaced by a group of strange "children" who might be the conjurations of a companion named Salem, who everyone thought dead. This seems to be referencing something, but I don't know what.  
     
Maybe they met these children.
             
Eye of the Boulder: The Runes of the Myth Drainer 
Chronicles an adventurer's search for the six pieces of the Eye, a meteor with magical properties. Once obtained and fitted into the author's skull, the Eye turned out to be "antithetical to [his] own" magic, leaving him worse than if he'd never found it. There are digs at the famously bad third game in SSI's Eye of the Beholder game: "The images I beheld lost resolution, and the sounds around me began to seem like bland reproductions . . . I am ashamed to have wasted so much time and so many of my resources upon such a disappointing thing." Given how poorly Pagan was reviewed, maybe Origin shouldn't have been so quick to throw shade. 
     
The Final Sunlight by Nolandru the Blind Idiot of Tenebrae
Describes the battle between the elemental titans and the Destroyer, which destroyed most of the world and left it in perpetual gloom. "There is no true night, but there is no true day. And the Titans, demanding ever-increasing sacrifices in payment for their deed, offer no answers." I wish the game would just tell us what the sky looks like. Is it just cloudy?
     
Gold: Valuable Commodity or Worthless Trash? by Okapi the Elder
Describes why gold is valuable (it's pretty and malleable) and how to find it through mining and panning. Despite the title, the book does not explain why anyone would call it "worthless trash." It also says that gold "is the basis for our monetary system," which is manifestly not true. One wonders if this was written before the developers decided to use obsidian pieces as the base currency. 
      
The History of Necromancy, Vol. I
Recounts how Kalen converted many of the Zealans into Pagans by preaching against the gods of emotion and in favor of the elements. Exiled by their peers, the Pagans retreated to Mount Morgaelin and built an altar to the elements out of Blackrock. When the Zealan army destroyed the altar and killed Kalen, the elemental gods manifested as the four titans and destroyed the world.
  
The History of Necromancy, Vol. II
This volume is concerned with Moriens, the necromancer who struck a deal with Lithos, the earth titan, convincing him to stop destroying the world with earthquakes by promising that the Pagans would serve Lithos in death. Lithos taught necromancy to Moriens, who passed it to his apprentice, Galious, the author of these two volumes.
     
Honor Lost by Metzars the Troll 
Chronicles the thoughts of the titular troll, who suggests that trolls were once a noble and educated race, but they've fallen into barbarism. Metzars himself fell into a magical sleep while the troll race was still civilized and awoke after they'd turned animalistic. He recently rescued a human child from a fellow troll and plans to bring her to a human city, hoping it will engender goodwill. Captain's Report would seem to be an unfortunate follow-up.
     
We're meant to believe that these guys were once poets and scholars.
        
Moriens: Necromancer, Prophet, Hero 
The biography of the First Necromancer starts with a David-and-Goliath story in which a young Moriens kills a fierce troll with a sling stone. He also debunked and exposed a false prophet. As an adult, he made a deal with Lithos, the Mountain King, by which the titan would stop his earthquakes if the people of Pagan interred their dead and thus gave them to Lithos. Lithos gave Moriens the Heart of the Earth, a huge diamond-shaped piece of Blackrock.
 
My Dearest Prevan 
A letter in book form. The letter writer, a healer named Veras, tells her husband about a troll attack on a small town in which the trolls kidnapped several children. A young mother called on the god Stratos to protect her, and her knitting needle turned into a silver sword that slew the trolls. The sword was named "Protector," and the writer intends to put it in a shrine on Argentrock Isle. This island is mentioned in the game manual as the "home of the monastery to the Order of Enlightenment," or the theurgists.
      
My Rival, My Love - Part I, by Elise
A funny romance written by a seamstress. She is mending a gown when her last needle breaks. In desperation, she goes to the shop of a rival tailor named Alain, but realizes when she arrives (he's temporarily out) that he's so better at his craft that it threatens her livelihood. She's in the middle of destroying his goods when he arrives. In the subsequent conversation, he confesses that he sneaked into  her house and broke her last needle so she would come to him. She forgives him as the book ends, and there's a suggestion that an amorous encounter will follow. Curiously, the subtitle of the book when the player clicks on it rather than opening it is "A Shadowy Jester Book." A play on Harlequin Romance?
 
The Mythology of Zealan Deities 
Discusses how before the titans, the people of the land worshiped common emotions—love, hate, apathy, joy, grief, and fear—and personified them in the deities Amoras, Odion, Apathas, Felicitar, Doloras, and Timyra. The latter three were eventually dropped from the pantheon. The Zealans built temples to these gods, housed them inside, and filled them with mazes and traps so that the average person couldn't reach one of the gods.
      
The Objective History of Pagan by Mythran
Essentially replicates Bentic's history found in the game book, A Chronicle of Pagan. It's so similar, in fact, that it seems likely that one plagiarized from the other.
   
On Sorcerous Ways by Corodin of Argentrock
"Sorcery is the magic of fire." Sorcerers use something called The Pentacle to (I gather it's a diagram) to bind the Lord of Flame and channel his power. There's a detailed description that might become important, but I need to see it. There are further passages on candles, reagents, and "the focus."
       
Reagents of Thaumaturgy by Mythran
Basically says that reagents are a crutch and that the sufficiently talented and focused spellcaster doesn't need them. 
    
The Saga of Bone Crusher 
The earth god Lithos demanded that the people of Tenebrae serve him. They pleaded that they already served Hydros. He sent undead to attack the city. The people asked Hydros for help, and she gave them a weapon called Bonecrusher. Lord Elsmil wielded it in battle and defeated the skeletons, but both he and the weapon were lost in battle. The skeletons might have carried them off. I also wonder if this will be something I can find.
       
Stories to Make Children Sleep by Brother Grim 
Only has one story, told in rhyme, about a young boy named Jelly who refused to eat anything but cheese. His father offered money to a mage to cast a spell that would free Jelly of the compulsion, but the mage accidentally turned the boy into a girl. Another mage came along and reversed the spell, and the father gratefully accepted his cheese-eating boy rather than deal with a normal girl. "'Tis not that I don't want a girl,' claims the tired old father, 'But when a boy is young, he is less of a bother.'"    
      
The Voices of Mary by Salem 
A rhyming account of a dream or hallucination or mental breakdown or something. Final lines: "As the waters roll in and I'm swallowed by sea, I can hear Mary whisper, calling to me. 'Come on, baby,' from somewhere she cries. 'I want you to love me like spiders love flies.'" 
      
"And so it waah-aas, that later . . ."
             
What the Fish Tell Me by Kilandra 
A poem by one of the subjects of Dispelling Magic. There is no particular wisdom in the verse.
 

The Gravestones of Pagan
    
  • R.I.P. Unknown (x 3).
  • Justin. His murder was better left unsolved. 
  • Here lies Chel. Some say she was a lovely belle. [Playtester Michelle Lindner?]
  • Rob is now dead. He should not have gone to Legas. [There's a Rob Corell on the programming team, plus a Bob Cook on the graphics team. Is "Legas" a shortening of "Las Vegas"?]
  • Entombed is Kai, trusty and wise. Toils at work then dies. [Perhaps a reference to Kay Gilmore, on the quality assurance team.]
  • Here lies Fred. In a quarry he was found dead.
  • Arnold. Hasta la vista, baby. [I trust I don't need to explain this one.]
  • Tee. Took one in the dome. [The only person in the credits whose name begins with a "T" and is otherwise unaccounted for here is lead programmer Tony Zurovec.]
  • Sivle. The minstrel wanders no more. [Probably a reference to Norwegian poet Per Sivle (1857-1904). Must have been someone's favorite.]
  • Here lies Chrichton. Attack by torax. Their one victim. [I wonder if this is a misspelling of Michael Crichton and thus a reference to his Jurassic Park (1990).]
  • Glen. Will be missed but not by many. [Artist Glen Johnson? Not credited on this game but appears in previous Origin credits.]
  • Montana. Thought to be immortal. Wrong again.
  • B. Bills. Three strikes and you're out. [Both this and the preceding epitaph are probably related. Quarterback Joe Montana was playing for the Kansas City Chiefs during the 1993 season. He suffered a concussion in a 23 January 1994 game against the Buffalo Bills and retired the next year. The Bills later lost the 1994 Superbowl to the Dallas Cowboys; it was their fourth Superbowl loss in a row.]
  • Here is Fontes, mauled by bears. [Someone on the team really liked football. This is likely a reference to Detroit Lions coach Wayne Fontes, although I couldn't find a specific incident in the relevant time range in which his team was "mauled" by the Chicago Bears.]
  • DBeyer. Loved his cubs and then got mauled. [This sounds like another sports reference, but I can't find a good candidate.]
  • Glanville. Cheap trash long gone. [It never ends. Likely a reference to football coach Jerry Glanville.]  
  • Tarmona. Don't kiss and tell.
  • Glad I am gone, done and past. Married 6 times, peace at last.
  • Sir Richard. Died of fright. Plunged from a great height.
  • Sir Robert. Tried to fly, found gravity an unforgiving foe. [This and the preceding one are probably references to Richard and Robert Garriott, Origin's co-founders. There are anecdotal reports online of the Garriotts taking the Origin team skydiving during the development process.]
  • Poor George. Tripped and fell into Kindric's forge. 
  • Elaina. Her mother's greatest treasure.
  • Good-bye Fredy. Now gone. We remember you in song.
  • No one is here. Not a pound. Lost at sea. Never found.
  • Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust. Hydros refused, so Lithos must.
  • Sir Louder. Blown apart by blasting powder.
  • Off the dock dove Sir Jim. Then he found he couldn't swim. [I don't think anyone can swim in this setting.]
  • Why do things always happen to me? Donner.
  • Died while running with toothbrush in mouth.
  • Here lies more. Ghoul slayer. Just four.
  • Here lies Burke. Lost his life dodging work.
  • Tip your lid to Sire Fox. Taken away by the pox.
  • Get off my grave. [A ghost attacks at this one.] 
  • When you pass, shed a tear. Little Eva is buried here. [The singer of "The Loco-Motion" didn't die until 2003. I can't imagine how the character from Uncle Tom's Cabin would have ended up in Pagan.]
  • Underpaid, under fed, underground.
  • Here lies Beverly. Died in Revelry. [A Beverly Garland is one of the graphic artists.]
  • Betty Blah-Blah. Killed by too many words. [Betty Peltier did the French translation.]
  • Sir Todd. I'm not dead yet. I'm getting better. [Playtester Todd Wachhaus.]
  • Sir Don. Couldn't sling a sword as fast as his drink. [Quality assurance tester Don Derouen? Sounds like he might have had some issues.]
  • With his head ashave, he was so very brave. Starr. [French product leader Starr Long.]
  • Perry. Just went up in smoke.
  • Sir Dee. 'Twas just a flesh wound. [Quality assurance tester Dee R. Starns.]
  • Always fully cook seafood.
  • Sad but true. Here lies Priest. Practiced art, and now decease. [Micael Priest was one of the graphic artists.]
  • Here lies Brian. Felled by a killer spider. [Writer/designer Brian Martin.]
  • Pamela. She worked too hard.
  • Here lies Hoffman, killed by bugs. [Playtester Andrw Hoffman.] 
  • Oh no, not again.
  • R.I.P. Swordproof Vittek. [Writer/designer Mark Vittek.]
  • A stupid Pagan lies here dead. In his religion he was misled.
  • Stupidity is its own reward.
  • Sherri's last plot. [After writer Sheri Graner Ray. She continued working in the field for at least two more decades.]
  • Steve. Crunched to death. [Steve Powers is credited with graphics, writing, and design.]
  • Mel. Has returned to hell. [Probably after writer Melanie Green.]
  • Do not drink out of others' goblets. 
  • Shelton. My body lies, but still I roam. [Playtester Tobin Shelton.]
  • Maedron. Sorcerer and the Bane of Corodin.
  • Corodin. First Master of the Cabal. [Corodin of Argentrock is the author of On Sorcerous Ways above.]

****
   
   
   
For further reading:
  
09/07/2026  
 

35 comments:

  1. The Eye of the Boulder book reminds me of how Epic Megagames used to make digs at famous shareware giant Apogee, at a time when Epic was nowhere near on the same level.

    To be fair, Epic eventually did become good on its own, but that was well after they stopped insulting other studios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to the official response in Wake of the Ravager, in part because it seems largely lost to the internet.

      Delete
    2. Or the very juvenile digs in Space Quest V to other games like Lucasarts' Loom in the fictional bargain bin. At least they showed they were aware of their rivals!

      Delete
    3. My impression of SQ5 is that it's all in good sport, because they also poke fun at their own games (King's Quest 48, Dacron Danny) and because SQ5 is tongue-in-cheek to begin with. Megagames and of Eye of the Boulder strike me as more mean-spirited. YMMV.

      Delete
    4. I'm pretty sure that's Space Quest IV (or X to be precise). Space Quest V goes all in on the Star Trek parody (and IIRC a little bit of Alien).

      Delete
    5. Right, it's actually SQ4. Point still stands.

      Delete
    6. It is! Forgive my mind fart, because I really know those games, I just have temporary disconnects between my head and my fingers.

      Anyway, we can never know if it was good sport or not, but the text in SQ4 is... proper snarky.

      "The latest bomb from master storyteller Morrie Brianarty, BOOM is a post-holocaust adventure set in post-holocaust America after the holocaust. Neutron bombs have eradicated all life, leaving only YOU to wander through the wreckage. No other characters, no conflict, no puzzles, no chance of dying, and no interface make this the easiest-to-finish game yet! Just boot it up and watch it explode!"

      (Which was the common complaint at the time: the game was TOO easy and it took almost no time to finish)

      Delete
    7. LOOM is definitely very easy. However, it's also very atmospherical and story-based, and provides a good counterpoint for people who think adventure games are only about clicking pixels to open doors.

      Delete
  2. 'Kith' actually means 'friends and acquaintances', hence the common turn of phrase 'kith and kin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a fight between an outcast and a herdsman takes two whole book volumes. Take that, Dragon Ball Z!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Metzars the troll "plans to bring her to a human city, hoping it will engender goodwill." Instead both he and the girl are slain by a guard who gets commended for it. Messed up indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did we get two posts today, or is my feed reader playing up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'm a sucker for lore, so this bonus entry chronicles all of the books I'm finding in Pagan: Ultima VIII. It will be updated continually until the game is finished. (Note that this entry published at the same time as "Pagan: Skull Island." Don't miss the previous one!)"

      Delete
    2. Ha, of course. In my defence, I don't read the posts until a day or so after they are published, so there's a good selection of comments to read too.

      Caught myself out this time. :)

      Delete
  6. I never played Pagan... In fact, I'm not sure I've even seen more than a few screen shots! Looking forward to the coverage...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book of mushrooms seems very ominous. In that it suggests they might be color-coded.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mythran shows up in both entries, this one about the books here and the other one published in parallel about your second part in the game. From the descriptions it's not clear you've made the connection, so I'll just mention it here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'Tis a great pity that there are but three Ear of Arricorn tomes to feast upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing about Lord of the Rings movies but then they made the Hobbit trilogy

      Delete
  10. If I remember correctly reading books in Ultima 8 is an effective way to increase your intelligence - so keep an eye on your int score and see if you notice any increases. Otherwise, it increases by using magic so in the early part of the game before you get any, any increase should be due to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you remember incorrectly; all these books didn't raise my stats.

      Delete
    2. As someone who is playing Pagan alongside Chet; Books absolutely rise int.

      Although the process is different than you may think: as far as i can tell, the game doesn't track stat xp. Instead, each time you do an action that can ride an stat, you have a very small % chance to get the increase.

      (So sometimes you can read hundreds of books without an increase and sometimes you can get two increases in a row).

      (And of course se sistem doesn't track how many different books you have read, so you can max int by just opening and closing the same book a thousand times in a row).

      Delete
  11. "'Tis not that I don't want a girl,' claims the tired old father, 'But when a boy is young, he is less of a bother.'"

    This old man has it completely backward. Who looks around at a preschool and thinks you have an easier time with the boys??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's socially acceptable in many western cultures to allow boychicks to remain largely feral until late childhood. Girlchildren one must actually raise and civilize from a young age to maximize their potential value on the bride market.

      Delete
    2. The quote as provided by Chester is incomplete; the farmer goes on to elaborate that it is easier to watch only one boy than all the boys around the girl.

      Delete
  12. Re: Ear of Arricorn

    The motif of someone shoving his fist down another man's throat to literally turn him inside out can also be found in Clive Barker's 'Books of Blood' (1984-85), don't remember which story, as well as Brian Yuzna's 'Society' (1989), and always seems to be an allegory for 'perversion'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get, the less of what I deem to be "common knowledge" seems to be in circulation; at the risk of belaboring the obvious, these Ear of Arricorn books are a reference to the infamous Eye of Argon. Enjoy.

      Delete
    2. It reminded me of the Odyssey movie's Circe sculpting scene - didn't she literally reach into that guys throat and pull him inside out?

      Delete
    3. Shamhat, you did not belabor the obvious at all. I've never heard of Eye of Argon.

      Delete
    4. @chet "The Eye of Argon" is the title of a very much "Conan the Barbarian" inspired Fantasy Story that, if I recall correctly, was submitted to a store contest at some point in the 70s. It is ... pretty terrible, both in prose and dialogue, and it was rather common at Fantasy Cons to hold public readings of this story for people who'd never read it before to see how far they could make it before cracking up laughing. And I admit, when I encountered it for the first time, I also make a lot of fun of it.

      The story behind the story ain't so much fun either, as the author was a teenager at the time who genuinely thought they'd tried their best, only for his name to be associated with ridicule and people making fun of his work, and actually making profit of it without ever asking for his consent. But, in the 90s and the still rather fresh household Internet access age, people didn't know or cared about that - they only knew that someone had, admittedly, written a very, very bad story that's overly dramatic and grim and ludicrously prosaic at the same time. YouTuber Dominic Noble made a good video about that a while ago, if you want to get the full story.

      Delete
    5. I once attended a conference in which people were literally (in the classic sense) rolling on the floor laughing while trying to read Terry Goodkind. Maybe this author shouldn't feel so bad.

      Delete
  13. since I recently finished Avowed

    I wonder, for games you are playing "off-blog" that should appear in the future of the blog, are you preparing entries for them as you play, or are you leaving that for when you get to them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your optimism, but I'm afraid there is no chance I will ever make it to Avowed on this blog.

      Delete
  14. I'm really enjoying the books in Ultima 8. I liked the skeptical tone of the Treatise on Magic, discrediting all non-elemental sources of magic as superstition and fancy. Somebody was having a lot of fun writing these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The DBeyer/Cubs reference is probably Dave Beyer, who was a designer on Serpent Isle, and who presumably was a fan of baseball's Chicago Cubs. This interview with Brian Martin mentions that Beyer was a "baseball nut," and there is a David Beyer who comments on a lot of Cubs-related posts on Facebook, though it's a common name and I don't know if it's the same Dave Beyer.

    ReplyDelete

The CRPG Addict welcomes all comments about the material in this blog and other comments. COMMENTS ARE MODERATED, however, and will only appear once approved. Please do not resubmit a comment if you don't see it appear immediately.

If your comment does not appear, it is likely because one of the following rules violations:

1. DO NOT COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY. If you do not want to log in or cannot log in with a Google Account, choose the "Name/URL" option and type a name (you can leave the URL blank). If that doesn't work, use the "Anonymous" option but put your name of choice at the top of the entry. I will only make exceptions to this if your comment is so good that I don't want to lose it.

2. Do not link to any commercial entities, including Kickstarter campaigns, unless they're directly relevant to the material in the associated blog posting. (For instance, that GOG is selling the particular game I'm playing is relevant; that Steam is having a sale this week on other games is not.) This also includes user names that link to advertising.

3. Please avoid profanity and vulgar language. I don't want my blog flagged by too many filters. I will delete comments containing profanity on a case-by-case basis.

4. I appreciate if you use ROT13 for explicit spoilers for the current game and upcoming games. Please at least mention "ROT13" in the comment so we don't get a lot of replies saying "what is that gibberish?"

5. Comments on my blog are not a place for slurs against any race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or mental or physical disability. I will delete these on a case-by-case basis depending on my interpretation of what constitutes a "slur."

6. Do not attempt to doxx me or any other commenter.

7. If your comment points out a typo or mistake, I will gratefully fix it, but I won't post the comment.

Blogger has a way of "eating" comments, so I highly recommend that you copy your words to the clipboard before submitting, just in case.

I read all comments, no matter how old the entry. So do many of my subscribers. Reader comments on "old" games continue to supplement our understanding of them. As such, all comment threads on this blog are live and active unless I specifically turn them off. There is no such thing as "necro-posting" on this blog, and thus no need to use that term.