Thursday, August 22, 2024

Enchantasy: Bells and Books

 
I use the I)nvoke command for the first time to open a path in the Forest of No Return.
     
Things are looking grim for the land of Savallia. After centuries of peace (following the defeat of the Dark Lord), monsters are roaming the land again. Evil men seem to be bent on the discovery of the Eternal Grimoire, a massively powerful spellbook that must not fall into their hands. Accordingly, the Mage Council has tasked an apprentice mage (well, perhaps not anymore) and his friends with finding the Grimoire first. Only during the last session did I finally get some information on it: It was buried ages ago; there's supposed to be a map out there somewhere; and I'll need something called the Magian Gem to find it.
 
My party has otherwise mostly been solving side quests while learning about all kinds of new problems. The king has just died, for instance, and his heir has run away somewhere. Also, someone seems to be killing the members of the Mage Council. The leader, Rudimon, was aware of two deaths, but we've stumbled on at least three bodies: Keenan, Abelard, and Riddock. I suspect we'll find more.
        
Keldar

In addition to general refreshing, restocking, and training, I wanted to visit for a couple of reasons. One was to find Santon, who according to Thorndyke in Kadaar, could tell me the way to the hidden town of Udim in the Forest of No Return. I hadn't logged an NPC in Keldar named Thorndyke, so I began systematically exploring the town again.
   
During my explorations, I realized that a locked door in the basement of the library had a sign reading "Mage Archives"--and in the last session, I had found the Archive Key on the body of one of the murdered mages. I had thought I'd find the archive in a different city for some reason. I unlocked the door and explored the few levels of the archive.
      
I assume the one being dismissed is the one who voted against it.
      
Four separate books had minutes from a meeting held "Sabo 28, 977 ADL." I'm not sure how long ago this was or if there's any way to tell how long ago. "ADL" must mean "after the Dark Lord." The minutes list 10 mages present at the meeting, at which they voted to expel a Council member for "the practice of evil magic." The vote was 9 to 1. The Council member's name was withheld from the record, but the list of voting Council members is interesting: Degas, Daumier, Morisot, Conax, Abelard, Keenan, Sigwald, Waldo, Riddock, and Oxton. You'll note that three of them are dead. They might all be dead, in fact; I haven't met any of the others.
    
The archive also held two books--"Archive 2067" and "Archive 2068"--written in the ancient language. I've given Chester a few points in "Languages," but only enough to read about 50% of the letters in each word. Fortunately, I found someone in Aramon who will translate cheaply.
       
The game's way of interpreting a low "Language" skill.
    
I found Santon in the tavern. He confirmed he was from Udim, which is hidden and only revealed by a magic word: EMANI. The town bell has recently been stolen; if I want to help, I should ask for the Mayor. 
       
The next thing you know, your son is playing for money in a pinch-back suit.
     
I was tempted to go directly there, but I was more interested in what the tomes had to say. So I went to the docks and headed for:
     
Aramon

I headed directly for the translator. Alas, it was a red herring. The two books simply mention the appointment of Rudimon to the Mage Council. As this took place in 978 ADL, he seems to have taken the place of the expelled member. (Incidentally, I spoke to Rudimon before leaving Keldar. I fed him as many keywords as I could think of, and he had nothing to say about the expulsion or the murders.) The list of mages who signed the document is identical to those who voted for expulsion. [Ed. No it's not. That's the danger of playing at 03:00. It seems that Conax is the expelled member.]
      
Well, that was anticlimactic.
     
I also used the occasion to buy force swords and bronze shields for my fighter and ranger, who are strong enough now.
   
Back we sailed to Keldar, then out the southern entrance and into the Forest of No Return.

On the Way to the Forest

We naturally face several battles. Since I have several magic potions to get rid of (my inventory is almost full), I take time to take some notes about the game's spells. I started with the first two and earned two per level through Level 10. The number in parentheses is the number of spell points the spell takes. At Level 16, I have 55 maximum spell points. The only ways to restore spell points are through potions or a night at an inn.

  • "Minor Healing" (2): Heals 6 hit points. Useful at the beginning of the game. Eclipsed by "Major Healing" later on. You can only cast it outside of combat.
  • "Fireball" (3): Does about 4-6 damage to a single enemy. Never misses. Only useful until you get "Lightning Bolt," which does more for the same cost.
  • "Cure Disease" (3): Cures the "ILL" status of a single character. You get ill rarely, so it makes more sense to save the spell points and carry a vial of medicine for such an emergency.
  • "Weaken" (3): Cuts an enemy's strength in half (rounded down). Not really worth it, especially once you get "Poison Burst". The reduction in strength only slightly lowers the damage the enemy does.
  • "See Secrets" (3): A very useful spell that scans a two-tile radius and shows you a question mark if there's anything special about the tile, including items of furniture with treasures to find and secret doors. Basically saves you from manually having to S)earch as many as 25 tiles.
       
"See Secrets" reveals a secret door.
      
  • "Lightning Bolt" (3): Does about 6 damage to a single enemy. Never misses. A decent one-enemy spell for the rest of the game.
  • "Neutralize Poison" (3): Cures the "POISON" status of a single character. You get poisoned rarely, so it makes more sense to save the spell points and carry a vial of medicine for such an emergency.
        
Healing Shyra.
      
  • "Deathtouch" (5): Does about 15 points of damage to a single enemy adjacent to the caster. This is almost always enough, as the spell's name indicates, to kill it.
  • "Create Food" (3): Creates 3 units of food for 3 spell points. I suppose it would be useful in an emergency, but food depletes so slowly that you'd have to be particularly ignorant to let it get to that point.
  • "Poison Burst" (3): Immediately halves an enemy's strength and skill, then carries a chance of instantly killing him after every character or enemy's turn. An awesome spell--if you can afford to wait.
     
Isn't it ironic?
     
  • "Glass Door" (3): An interesting but somewhat useless spell that I've never seen in any other RPG. [Ed. I apparently forgot its counterpart in Ultima V.] When cast at a door, it shows you what's on the other side of the door. The problems are: a) there's almost never anything particularly interesting immediately on the other side of a door; b) it only shows you a couple of squares, which isn't enough to assess anything; and c) it doesn't help you subsequently open the door. 

Great, there's a chest of drawers and a table. I still have to pick the lock to get in.
      
  • "Paralyze Legs" (4): Despite its name, seems to paralyze an enemy entirely and take him out of combat long enough for you to fill him with arrows. Very useful.
  • "Major Healing" (5): Heals a single character for 8-15 hit points. It can only be cast outside of combat.
  • "Mystic Shield" (6): Supposedly increases everyone's armor class. Since you can't see armor class during combat, it's hard to verify that it's working. It doesn't feel like it makes any difference.
  • "Magic Unlock" (3): Unlocks magically-locked doors. This will be useful if I ever find a magically-locked door. I haven't so far.
  • "Flame Frenzy" (7): Does about 4-7 damage to every enemy on the screen. Like "Lightning Storm," it's very tempting to use this to end combats quickly, which is why my spellcaster has 3 more levels than everyone else. But it costs so much that I often save it until I know I can rest soon.
  • "Seek Exit" (4): Takes you immediately to the exit of a dungeon. There are magic onyx stones that do the same thing. Despite its low cost, I don't find it worth it (yet) because enemies never randomly spawn in dungeons and dungeons are small.
  • "Lightning Storm" (9): Does 6-8 damage to every enemy on the screen.
       
"Lightning Storm" blasts a foe.
      
  • "Resurrection" (9): Resurrects a dead character. It's painful to spend so many points, so you naturally would rather avoid having to use it.
  • "Thunder Clap" (9): Does 6-9 damage to every enemy on the screen. I honestly don't know why it exists when it does basically the same thing as "Lightning Storm" for the same cost.
      
I spend most of my points these days on mass damage spells and healing spells, but I like "Paralyze Legs" for single enemies and "See Secrets" for rooms dense with furniture.
    
Apropos of combat, I should mention that my ranger got two attacks per round at some point. I hope everyone gets to that point as they level up.
     
Udim

We followed Santon's instructions and cast it at the appropriate place in the Forest, which caused a tree to disappear, revealing a long path beyond. We nearly didn't make it. Maximum enemy difficulty scales with the party's level, so every long wilderness trip these days is a slog through a dozen large battles.
      
We reach the city, almost ready to drop.
      
We met Mayor Morven in his office. He said that Udim decided to hide itself from the outside world after the War of the Dark Lord. During that thousand years, an ancient bell served as the symbol of the town. As time passed, more people found out how to get into Udim (like us), and they started to lose their protection. Recently, thieves slipped into town and stole the bell. The mayor thinks they took it to a cave south of Keldar. I've seen that cave, but I can't find a way to get through the mountains to it. The mayor's assistant, Latham, had the word: CYQIE. The mayor will be happy to talk to us about the Magic Horn when we recover the bell.
   
Elsewhere:
    
  • Darby says he works at the armory and can repair broken weapons and armor, which isn't a mechanic in this game, but may be necessary later for a special item or quest. He alludes to the silver armor worn by Sir Kenway, an ancient knight, but has nothing to offer on its location.
  • The armory has a great sling, an upgrade from my hunter's sling. It also has iron shields, but none of us are strong enough to carry one.
  • Botolf attributes Santon's spilling of the password to his fondness for drink (to be fair, I found him in a tavern). This distresses Santon's mother, Clarice, when I visit her later.
        
He's in good company.
       
I found several magic and healing potions in various bits of furniture. The general store sells more. This is a good thing because the town has no inn, so we had to use potions to get ourselves in shape for the return journey. Even so, we ended up fleeing a lot of battles on the way back to Keldar. If you're counting, that's my fourth return from the Forest of No Return.

Caves South of Keldar

I had originally tried to enter these caves hoping to find the Prince, who had run off with his friend Jamal "to the mountains" (according to a note). These are the closest mountains to the Royal Castle. I had been blocked by a boulder in front of the dungeon entrance, but the password provided by Latham moved it--after I went all the way back to Udim to get it again because I wrote it down wrong the first time.
    
I don't know what the dungeon was trying to evoke with its bright colors. Many of the corridors dead-ended at an underground lake. I found several corridors blocked by boulders, which I had to use the pick-axe to clear. These oddly respawn if you leave the dungeon and return. Nothing else does, as far as I can tell.
       
Destroying a boulder.
      
Combats were frequent and large, and I retreated to Keldar twice for healing, potions, and more arrows. One thing that is starting to annoy me is that inventory space is so limited that you really can't carry many potions, which in turn limits the utility of the economy. I'm probably going to stop carrying shields at some point to save more space for potions and other usable items.
 
I routinely face enemies with their own "Lighting Storm" spells these days, so I have to take them out of action as soon as possible.    
       
Hitting a sorceress with "Paralyze" before she can attack. Unfortunately, there's still a necromancer.
       
I found Udim's bell in a chest in a corner. I found no sign of Jamal or the Prince, so I'm not sure what mountains they went to. Maybe the ones west of the castle.
  
We took the long forest path back to Udim, where the mayor gratefully accepted the bell and immediately gave us the magic fog horn. I imagined he'd just tell us where it was, and there would be another whole quest. He told us to use it "on a dock northwest of Kadaar" where "the legend will be revealed."
      
I can't wait!
        
That's about all I have time for this week. I had to go back to work again. This game is getting pretty long. While I still enjoy the main plot and the many side quests, the battles are getting to be overwhelming. I cringe every time I level up these days, which is not the reaction you want from a CRPG player. 
   
Time so far: 27 hours

39 comments:

  1. I think you should compare the meeting notes of Rudimon's election as council member to the notes about the dismissal. It may be unimportant, but I think you overlooked something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So basically...it seems he has forgotten something. No don't bother, I'll show myself out.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, thanks. I would have sworn I compared those two lists several times, but it was very late at night.

      Delete
  2. > "Glass Door" (3): An interesting but somewhat useless spell that I've never seen in any other RPG.

    Ultima 5 has this, effectively - its version shows all hidden tiles, not just behind a single door. I never found a use for it there, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Dungeon Master/Chaos Strikes Back has a spell with a similar effect, letting you see through the wall or door directly in front of you. There, it was at least a little help while mapping.

      Delete
    2. That's the X-Ray spell (Wis Ylem); it shows up in Ultima 6 as well, and is not really useful there either. White potions in both games do the same.

      Alagner in Ultima 7 mentions that spell and potion were outlawed after a peeping tom incident. However, in U7's engine, walls don't block line of sight anyway. White potions in U7 create light instead.

      Delete
    3. Perhaps there is one puzzle somewhere in the game where this spell is necessary.

      Delete
    4. It'd be cool if CRPGs more often had puzzles to solve or traps to disarm by using spells which provide more information about the environment.

      Delete
    5. Realms of Arkania has a spell called "Penetrating Wood and Stone" that reveals all tiles in a 2 tile radius. It's a gimmick, although a fun one.

      Delete
    6. I could imagine such a spell being useful in certain places if it shows / would show also enemies in the next room, especially if the game also has buffing spells / potions.

      E.g. in some Gold Box entries there were situations where you'd blunder into a fight upon opening a door, without the presence of foes having been hinted at or being discoverable prior to entering the room.

      Not sure about those aspects in the present game.

      Delete
    7. I had totally forgotten about that U5 spell. Maybe it's time to play it again.

      Delete
    8. @Arik, Penetrate is extremely useful actually in combination with the teleport spell since you can teleport to any place you know (i.e. any place that is uncovered on the automap). IIRC they nerfed it after Blade of Destiny so you cannot teleport through solid walls but you can still use it to teleport through doors or jump over difficult encounters.

      Delete
    9. "spell and potion were outlawed after a peeping tom incident"

      W...What else would you use it for then?

      Delete
    10. Some of these spells seems like their are for immune enemies or specific puzzles, maybe it show up or it was to much to implement at the end. On a side note I don´t like elaborate mechanics that are only used ones, specially if it is a cool mechanic or a mechanic that seems like a obvious solution at a later place but you are unable to use it then.

      Delete
    11. @VK Yes, the combination of Penetrating and Transversalis is really cool, but iirc you need to put quite a few points into the latter spell until it starts working even somewhat reliably.

      Delete
  3. Hmm, the translation might still be useful for one aspect you mention implicitly, but not explicitly [ROT13]: gur bar Pbhapvy zrzore jub jnf rkcryyrq vf gur bar jub qbrf abg fubj hc nf fvtangbel jura Ehqvzba vf nccbvagrq nf uvf ercynprzrag, v.r. Pbank. V'q jntre abg nyy gra ner qrnq naq ur'f gur ovt onq be fbzrubj eryngrq gb uvz, fb zvtug or jbegu gb nfx crbcyr nobhg uvz.

    And now I realize that's what Didier alluded to in the first comment... .

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be fair, staying up until 3 AM during the semester is one of the hallmarks of a CRPG player.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder what the first non-roguelike (i.e. handbuilt game world) was with enemies levelling to match yours. This game strikes me as an early usage of it, or at least earlier than the most infamous examples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might&Magic 1 had level scaling in 1986, but combined with area scaling.
      I think even Wizardry 1 may have had some subtle level scaling already in 1981.

      Delete
    2. I can't be 100% sure about Might & Magic I, bust Wizardry 1 through at least 5 definitely did not have levelling base on character level, only on dungeon level. I also don't think Wiz 6 or 7 did either. Wizardy 8 did for sure.

      Delete
    3. I thought I'd use the occasion to try and summarize what I've seen about different types and mechanics of level scaling here on the blog and elsewhere (outside of roguelikes) which hopefully might be useful for further discussions. I may not have gotten everything right and I'm sure there are further examples, so please feel free to correct / complement.

      1. What changes?

      a) Number of enemies per encounter increases, i.e. instead of four kobolds you face eight.
      Examples: (Some?) Gold Box games adjust this depending on your stats, Orb Quest - Part I: The Search for Seven Wards, Wizardry 8, Might and Magic II

      b) Stats and/or equipment and/or abilities of enemies improve(s) (within/for the same type of enemy), i.e. the four kobolds now have more hitpoints and/or wear better equipment.
      Examples: Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Valhalla, Oblivion, Tunnels & Trolls: Crusaders of Khazan, Dragon Age: Origins, Dungeons and Dragons (1980), Final Fantasy VIII

      c) Weaker enemy types get replaced with different, stronger ones, i.e. instead of four kobolds you face four trolls.
      Examples: The Power Stones of Ard, Oblivion, Orb Quest - Part I: The Search for Seven Wards, Wizardry 8, Might and Magic II

      2. Where does it change?

      a) Everywhere.

      b) Certain areas (e.g. only in some parts of the game world, only in dungeons, only outdoors, ...).
      Examples: The Secrets of Bharas (only outdoors), Fallout 3 (each area fixed to your level when you first enter), Ultima III (only overworld)

      c) Only fixed or only random encounters and/or only some of them.
      Examples: Final Fantasy Tactics (only random battles), Baldur's Gate 2 (only random battles), Might and Magic II (only random battles)

      3. How does it change?

      a) Minimum (number / level / type of enemies) increases.
      Examples: Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Valhalla

      b) Maximum (number / level / type of enemies) increases.
      Examples: Enchantasy, Dungeons and Dragons (1981, AKA "Heathkit DND"), The Secrets of Bharas, Orb Quest - Part I: The Search for Seven Wards

      c) Average (number / level / type of enemies) increases.

      d) Cost of training increases and/or XP rewards for same enemies get lower.
      Examples: Operation Overkill

      4. What is the change based on?

      a) Level of the (two, three, ...) weakest party member(s).

      b) Level of the (two, three, ...) strongest party member(s).
      Example: Gladius (two strongest)

      c) Average level of the party as a whole.
      Examples: Tunnels & Trolls: Crusaders of Khazan, Final Fantasy VIII, Wizardry 8

      d) Triggering some kind of flag, e.g. reaching a certain story element, winning a specific fight, entering a new area, ... .

      Delete
    4. Enchantasy is a bit trickier. It has a predefined set of random encounters - in a sense that there are several (dozens) fixed layouts of a map with fixed enemy starting positions - and it just replaces the enemy with a stronger version of itself from the list. I.e. something like rat -> cursed rat -> plague rat -> rabid rat -> vampyre rat or something similar.

      Delete
  6. Man, I know how you feel about having to go back to work. Now the sadness of the Fall semester is upon us. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if you can resurrect the dead Mages using the resurrection spell? Or does it only work on party members?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only works on party members. Good idea, though.

      Delete
  8. Regarding random battles that annoy you: is it possible to turn them off completely? There was a setting in this game that determines their frequency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's possible to set them low, which I've done, although: 1) every time you restart the game, it resets it to a (moderate) default, and I sometimes forget to manually change this; 2) battles in dungeons are fixed and do not depend on this slider.

      Delete
    2. OK, I'm not sure what happened with my ability to respond with my Google account. However, if you travel by horse, 80% of encounters overland are skipped outright. Dungeons battle locations (but not enemy groups) are fixed.

      Just one single note: you seemingly underexplored a lot on the map of the main continent. It's not that far from the road either, but you seemingly missed a starter area with a dungeon and a horse, among other things. There is another living council member there, which seemingly might respond to the name in question. Given that the battle there is fixed (my party was just wiped out), I think it may start something plotwise.

      Delete
    3. Just to clarify: living council member is nowhere near starting dungeon. However, living council member is not far from the long road on the main continent, hinted by a bridge visible from it. In fact, there are a few bridges and signs visible from the main road that lead to location I don't believe were covered so far.

      Delete
    4. Okay, I'll hunt around. You're correct that I haven't done a lot of inland exploration of the continents. I've mostly been going to places that I have a reason to go to.

      Delete
  9. "You get ill [/poisoned] rarely, so it makes more sense to save the spell points and carry a vial of medicine for such an emergency."

    "One thing that is starting to annoy me is that inventory space is so limited that you really can't carry many potions, which in turn limits the utility of the economy."

    This seems like a reason to use the spells if needed, so that you *don't* have to use the inventory slot on a vial of medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but spell points are still more valuable than inventory slots.

      Delete
    2. Although if I eschewed that medicine for another magic potion, I'd make out in the long run. Point taken--medicines and poison salves are gone.

      Delete
  10. Conceptually, this is a really cool game (although it's not clear whether the plot is that interesting yet). I'm not surprised the combat is beginning to wear on you, though. A lot of really thoughtfully made RPGs are undermined by having too much slow-to-resolve combat. That's one of the upsides of the later trend toward limited numbers of setpiece fights rather than constant random battles. But options for quickly resolving combat can work, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most battles can be escaped from without any meaningful penalty by pressing R.

      Delete
  11. BTW, what is the inventory limit to begin with? I don't think I ever encountered this problem. Also, did you notice that some potions are much more powerful than others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, though I probably haven't commented on it. I buy all the magic potions of the highest level that I can carry every time I'm in a town.

      The inventory limit is 25 items. 4 slots are taken up by the weapons (melee or ranged) that you don't have currently equipped. If you currently have bows equipped, 3 more are taken up by shields. Shovel, pick-axe, dynamite, and a couple of telegems take up 4 more, so that's half right there.

      Another 5 or 6 are taken by quest items that I'm not sure I can discard. That leaves about 8 slots for usable items, including potions and Gems of Life.

      Delete
  12. I think that the spell is called "Paralyze Legs" because it doesn't prevent mages from casting

    ReplyDelete
  13. A few hints, while I steam off another long session killed by a frozen game:

    1. Blaze/Gems.
    Gur trzf ner ybpngrq va gur qhatrba va gur fnzr pvgl, ohg va beqre gb trg gurz lbh arrq "Oynmr Xrl", juvpu vf ohevrq va Oynmr'f tenir ba na vfynaq va n irel qvfgnag ybpngvba. Guvf qbrfa'g frrz gb or n cybg dhrfg, nf gur erjneq vf whfg n snapl fyvat.

    2. Treasure map
    Lbh frrz gb unir zvffrq n xabpx-va ybpxrq qbbe fbzrjurer. Obevf arrqf gb or "xabpxrq bhg", naq ur yrnqf lbh gb nabgure "xabpx bhg" Qhssl, V oryvrir, jub gryyf gung cvengrf fgbyr gurve znc, naq yrnqf lbh gb n guveq zna ybpngrq bss na vfyr juvpu bayl n junyr frrzvatyl pna ernpu.

    3. Underground
    Guvf frrzf gb or n ybat dhrfg. Vs lbh ner va Fbaben, gurer'f n tvey jub vf fghpx gurer, jub gryyf lbh gung n pregnva cvengr pna genafcbeg lbh gb Qhxr Unjgubear'f vfynaq. Gurer vf fhpu cvengr ba n tybony znc va gur fbhgu cbegvba bs n ovt pbagvarag (ABG va gur pvgl), jub trgf lbh gb gung vfynaq. Va Unjgubear'f pnfgyr, lbh cebzcgyl trg wnvyrq, gura serrq ol Haqretebhaq, juvpu cebq lbh gb zrrg ng N-fbzrguvat pvgl. Guvf vf jurer gur tnzr sebmr ba zr.

    4. Gemkeeper family
    Gurve rfgngr vf ba n tybony znc abg sne sebz gur ebnq ba gur znva vfynaq; n oevqtr arrqf gb or pebffrq gb ernpu vg, naq gur oevqtr vf ivfvoyr sebz gur ebnq.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments about the material in this blog, and I generally do not censor them. However, please follow these rules:

1. DO NOT COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY. If you do not want to log in or cannot log in with a Google Account, choose the "Name/URL" option and type a name (you can leave the URL blank). If that doesn't work, use the "Anonymous" option but put your name of choice at the top of the entry.

2. Do not link to any commercial entities, including Kickstarter campaigns, unless they're directly relevant to the material in the associated blog posting. (For instance, that GOG is selling the particular game I'm playing is relevant; that Steam is having a sale this week on other games is not.) This also includes user names that link to advertising.

3. Please avoid profanity and vulgar language. I don't want my blog flagged by too many filters. I will delete comments containing profanity on a case-by-case basis.

4. I appreciate if you use ROT13 for explicit spoilers for the current game and upcoming games. Please at least mention "ROT13" in the comment so we don't get a lot of replies saying "what is that gibberish?"

5. Comments on my blog are not a place for slurs against any race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or mental or physical disability. I will delete these on a case-by-case basis depending on my interpretation of what constitutes a "slur."

Blogger has a way of "eating" comments, so I highly recommend that you copy your words to the clipboard before submitting, just in case.

I read all comments, no matter how old the entry. So do many of my subscribers. Reader comments on "old" games continue to supplement our understanding of them. As such, all comment threads on this blog are live and active unless I specifically turn them off. There is no such thing as "necro-posting" on this blog, and thus no need to use that term.

I will delete any comments that simply point out typos. If you want to use the commenting system to alert me to them, great, I appreciate it, but there's no reason to leave such comments preserved for posterity.

I'm sorry for any difficulty commenting. I turn moderation on and off and "word verification" on and off frequently depending on the volume of spam I'm receiving. I only use either when spam gets out of control, so I appreciate your patience with both moderation tools.