Friday, May 3, 2024

The Red Crystal: Won! (with Summary and Rating)

 
I know my character is supposed to be gazing valiantly towards a horizon, but it looks to me like he's stuck in a hole and he's trying to figure out how to get out.
        
The Red Crystal
United States
Wild Card Software (developer); Quantum Quality Productions (publisher)
Released 1993 for DOS
Date Started: 11 April 2024
Date Ended: 1 May 2024
Total Hours: 17
Difficulty: Easy (2.0/5), once you know the tricks
Final Rating: (to come later)
Ranking at time of posting: (to come later)  
     
Summary:
A game of unintentional comedy in which the player has to solve meta puzzles that the developers almost certainly didn't intend. Crystal has you explore at least seven multi-level, axonometric dungeons to defeat the seven lieutenants of the evil Lexor. Each lieutenant holds one of the Secrets of Life. Assemble them all and you can take on Lexor and save the land of Blackmoore. Almost everything about the game is staggeringly broken, including the inventory, the economy, combat, side quests, magic, and exploration, although some of the ways in which they are broken create unique opportunities to get through what would otherwise be an unwinnable game. The bugs are regrettable because Crystal is highly original, showing no obvious debt to a single previous game, and with some features (albeit broken ones) not found in any contemporaries.
    
*****
     
I had found one Secret of Life at the end of my last entry, and as this session commenced, I sat down to find another one. Since the first one had taken me 13 hours, I figured I was in for an experience of at least 50 hours. Instead, I won the game in four more hours. As I found each Secret, I discovered new exploits that I could use to make the next dungeon even faster, until the final two dungeons took less than 10 minutes each.
   
My next stop was Kang's fortress, but I dutifully visited the nearby town of Trautner first to see what side quests might be available. I had already been here. Someone named Fabian was looking to become the Ultimate Thief, and a mage named Utan wanted me to rescue King Tuwoka. 
     
One of the last side quests I looked at.
     
As I entered the fortress, I found a scroll on the floor, penned by Kang, warning any who challenged him that he would spit on their graves. You often find scrolls like this. You also find scrolls from previous heroes who entered the castles trying to kill the lieutenants. 
        
A warning from the castle's owner.
      
I had experienced such trouble finding my way to the first boss that this time, I dutifully mapped each level and noted the up and down staircases. The castle ended up being 15 levels, which I think is the largest in the game. As I explored, I got sick of combat and started bribing anyone who would take a bribe--all humanoids, basically--reasoning that since the inventory and economy were broken, there was no point in hoarding money. I'll also remind you that something is broken in the combat system so that a couple of weapons (including the Deathaxe, which I wielded) kill every enemy in a single hit, thus obviating every other weapon in the game, some of which cost a lot more.
       
Mapping staircases up and down.
       
I rescued King Tuwoka from a cell, and he gave me a "Knight's Paper," which I assume I was meant to take back to Utan for a reward. I also rescued someone named Filch, who looks like Fabian. In three separate cells, three other NPCs--Quinno, Grundle, and Marcus--complained that the Cult of Iguru had kidnapped their daughters, and they offered to pay for her return, then promptly disappeared. I wondered how I was going to find them again if I rescued their daughters. It turns out that their dialogue comes from an NPC in the town of Agar, and they were probably supposed to say something else.
   
On the 15th level, I met Kang, killed him, got the second Secret ("Envy"--see below), and escaped. I brought the Knight's Paper back to Trautner, but no one was home in Utan's house. I also tried to buy the city but somehow, while I was in the menu that lets you offer gold to the deed owner, the game kicked me out of the city and clear across the world map to a distant corner. I decided I wasn't going to mess around with that mechanic anymore.
      
The second secret.
     
I decided to go for Marnor next, but again I stopped at the town of Agar first. Here, an NPC named Artagor gave me the real dialogue about his daughter having been abducted by the Cult of Iguru. Agar is another town that has an optional one-level dungeon in the middle of a hill. I entered and slaughtered the cult. Iguru turned out to be an ice worm.
 
You can see why he'd have a cult about him. He's so charismatic.
          
Unfortunately, Artagor's daughter had already been killed, but I was able to scoop up her earrings. I left the dungeon and returned to Artagor, and the game crashed as he tried to give me a 1,000 gold piece reward. At that point, I decided I was finished with towns and side quests. They're all broken and the rewards aren't worth anything since you don't really need money after the first dungeon.
      
Curse the gods for whatever is happening over there on the right.
     
As I entered Marnor's castle, I reflected on what I had learned from the first two dungeons. In both cases, the boss was found on the last level, and in both cases, I got a message that I was "distressed" when I entered the level (as opposed to "confident" on all the others). I realized I didn't need to carefully map anything. I just needed to use my red crystal (which, as in previous entries, causes the last item in your inventory to disappear instead of the red crystal) or the "Crystal" spell to get a map of each level, look for the nearest down staircase, and keep pressing downward until I got the "distressed" message.
    
Now, this doesn't actually work because some of the levels have multiple sections, and the game wants you to go up and down multiple times looking for the set of stairs that lead to the right section, but here's where I discovered another trick. When you flee combat, the game throws you to a random part of the level. You also forget your map, but no problem, I have a screenshot. You just have to flee enough combats to get to the section of the level that has the down staircase, then take it.
     
I had to flee several battles before I wound up in this lower area.
    
Pretty soon, I had killed Marnor, learned about "Enthusiasm," and left his castle a smoking ruin.
    
I thought I had a foolproof way to get the rest of the Secrets quickly: the "Transport" spell. When you cast it, you're taken to a random dungeon level in a random dungeon. My berserker with an intelligence of 1 shouldn't be able to cast the spell at all, but that's another thing broken about the game. Moreover, there's nothing (e.g., magic points, stamina) that limits how many spells you can cast. I figured I'd just stand there casting "Transport" until I wound up on a dungeon level that gave me the "distressed" message, then go find the boss. This actually does work, but the game has no problem taking you to levels in castles you've already explored. Fighting the same bosses twice seemed like a bad idea in a game that already had plenty of problems, so I abandoned this tactic.
     
You eat scum for breakfast?
     
By now, I had realized that Level 7 is the maximum level. I wasn't gaining any more no matter how many combats I fought. I verified by looking at the YouTube videos of other winners, both of whom were Level 7 at the end of the game. I got to Level 5 in the first dungeon and Level 7 in the second. That's bad pacing. Still, knowing this freed me from worrying about combat at all.
 
Thus, in the next castle--Worm's--I figured out another trick that let me avoid almost all battles. At some point, I fled from an enemy and ended up in the black area outside the walls of the dungeon. To get back inside the walls, I had to approach one and cast the "Door" spell on it. No problem. I soon realized I could reverse this process: arrive on a level, go right to an exterior wall, cast the "Door" spell, and head out into the blackness, where no enemies ever roam. I could make my way around the periphery of each level to staircases, almost all of which are on an outer wall. 
      
I avoid battles by thinking outside the box.
     
By the last two dungeons, I realized even this trick was more effort than required, as I had not realized the utility of the "Invisibility" spell. Again, my barbarian shouldn't be able to cast it at all, let alone indefinitely, but he can. "Invisibility" just lets you run right over enemies. This is how I blazed through the final dungeons and got all seven Secrets.
       
"Invisibility" lets you explore a level without stopping for combat.
     
You're dying to know what those Secrets are. Here you go:
   
  • Moderation (Tagar): Moderation in everything. To pig out on anything food, drink, or merryment. Material items usually lead to an unhealthy situation physically or mentally.
  • Envy (Kang): When you allow yourself to get caught up in envy, this will usually lead to jealousy and eventually hate. Turn envy into aspiration. Become what you envy.
       
Every boss has a little threat before the battle.
       
  • Enthusiasm (Marnor): A wise man once said Nothing can be done without enthusiasm. With enthusiasm comes love. And vice versa. Anyone can be great or on the path to greatness with enthusiasm.
  • Pride (Worm): Don't let pride get in your way. With pride comes a fall. Be happy and fulfilled with who and what you are, but be careful when conveying this to others. Truth never has to be spoken.
      
Worm gets my vote for "most attractive" castle.
       
  • Euphoria (Zurnar): Work leads to accomplishment. When you have achieved something through hard work, you are truly happy and probably made someone else happy. 
  • Anger (Drake): Everyone succumbs to frustration and anger almost daily. To learn to control this can be a lifetime pursuit. The wise men have said See the other point of view. 
  • Excellence (Gronk): The pursuit of excellence simply for the sake of excellence itself. Do this and everything else will automatically fall into place. 
      
The last Secret. I'm not sure I need it.
     
I teach an ethics class at my university. One of the first assignments that I give the students is to come up with their own personal list of core values, and later I ask them to analyze different scenarios with that list. Believe it or not, I introduce the Ultima IV list during this section as well as Ben Franklin's and Stephen Covey's. I suggest to them that their list ought to be a combination of Ultima-style virtues like compassion and honesty and Covey-style personal improvement goals like . . . well, enthusiasm and excellence. Every so often, a student turns in a list of virtues that are all the latter. This semester, for instance, one of my students gave his list as reliability, confidence, determination, excellence, and flexibility. I had to point out that Pol Pot was determined as hell, and there were probably a lot of reliable guards at Auschwitz. Those were fine, I said, but without virtues like compassion or justice within the list, there's nothing stopping you from becoming a confident, flexible serial killer.
   
I mention all of this because it's how I feel about these so-called Secrets of Life. Some of them are decent pieces of advice for personal success, but Lexor could have followed all of these in his conquest of Blackmoore. I don't know, maybe that's the point.
       
The endgame begins!
    
Aside from that, there are a lot of oddities in the list. "Euphoria" is a side-effect, not something that you do or don't do. I don't like how the list mixes things to strive for and things to avoid. (It's like the author tried to cram together Aristotle's virtues and the Seven Deadly Sins.) Everyone feels anger sometimes, but I don't know about "daily," and certainly not everyone "succumbs" to it daily. With enthusiasm comes love? Things just "automatically" fall into place when you strive for excellence? It honestly feels like a lot of those words could come out of the mouth of the "Big Brother" talking head in Apple's "1984" commercial, and they wouldn't sound out of place.
    
Moving on: When you have the last Secret, a megalith appears in the middle of the desert in the south-central part of the map. I entered. The final dungeon is about seven levels, and there are no enemies in it. Instead, each level has a different piece of equipment--boots, gauntlets, a helm, a breastplate, something called Arion's Sword (if there was an Arion in the backstory, I missed it), and an old scroll. The game says you put on the items automatically, but it doesn't change any of the character's statistics.
      
About to pick up the breastplate.
    
Finally, I reached the bottom level and an altar. "On the altar is an inscription that implores you to use the ancient scroll." I did. Lexor spoke: "Finally you have arrived . . . only to meet defeat by my hands. Try to make this challenging."
      
Once you have all the pieces, the icon changes.
       
The final battle that commenced was silly. Lexor and I stood on some kind of dais surrounded by candles and just traded blows, our health bars at the top of the screen slowly depleting. The battle theoretically supports each of the nine attack types that you can use in regular combats--three high, three medium, three low--but all you have to do is hold down any of the nine attack keys, and Lexor's health will diminish faster than yours.
     
The odd final battle.
           
When I inevitably killed Lexor, he had a brief speech: "You have bested me today, but there is always tomorrow. Until then . . . " Cut to the scene at the top of this entry, and then roll credits.
 
This is what you get when you lose.
     
There are three major elements in the game that I never explored:
   
  • An optional dungeon. There's a Temple of the Undead in the northeast that takes you to a single room, but there's a scroll in the room that says only Xopotaous can explore the dungeon. Xopotaous is an NPC in one of the towns who has something to do with the quest to find a magic axe.
         
I wonder what happens in here.
     
  • Using a red crystal to contact towns. You can somehow use a red crystal to contact cities under your control and, I don't know, send a messenger to collect any taxes owed or something. Why? In case you run out of money for bribes in the middle of a dungeon?
  • Two-player play. I didn't even try to set it up, but according to contemporary accounts, it's underwhelming. The two players exist in their own individual realities. All it really allows you to do is alternate fighting battles. You can't even message each other.
     
God, would I love to be able to interview the developer on this one (he did not return my messages). What in the world did they think they were doing? What is the purpose of buying the towns and setting the tax rates and whatnot? Why are there so many side quests when leveling is capped at Level 7 and there's so much money available from regular combats? How did all of these bugs get past play testing? What was going on with the random NPCs in dungeons who just come up and spout nonsense? How were the production values so good--including Earl Norem for the cover and George "The Fat Man" Sanger for the music--and yet the programming so flawed?
     
By playing this game?
      
Alas, we can only speculate on the developers' intentions. We can, however, judge the outcomes:
    
  • 3 points for the game world. The framing story is fine; there are allusions to deeper lore within the cities and among the NPC dialogues; and things do change in the landscape as the game progresses.
       
A small but decent-looking game world.
       
  • 2 points for character creation and development. Development consists only of extra maximum hit points as you go through only 7 levels, front-weighted towards the early game. It should theoretically be replayable with different classes, but because of bugs and errors, the intended strengths and weaknesses of the classes don't really stand out. 
  • 2 points for NPC interaction. The way things are supposed to work, this could be a 5- or 6-point game. But wandering NPCs never have anything to say that isn't just annoying, and talking to NPCs in town breaks the game. I like that the occasional dungeon NPC gives you some flavor.
  • 2 points for encounters and foes. The monsters are mostly boring and the same in every dungeon. It's silly that they all have to get right in your face before they can damage you, but since combat is so broken otherwise, I guess I shouldn't complain about that. I'm not sure the "bribe" ability is worth a point.
        
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
      
  • 2 points for magic and combat. It gets pretty much both of those points for some interesting magic options. I can't remember any other CRPG that let me create doors in the middle of walls, for instance. There are spells I never bothered to try, but without any mana pool or other limit to spellcasting, spells overall are a bit too easy. The combat system is one of the worst we've ever seen. The 9 attack positions add nothing.
      
God, I hate fighting wolves.
       
  • 2 points for equipment. The game offers weapons, armor, potions, scrolls, red crystals, and quest items. All of them are bugged to some degree, and you can get a weapon that kills anything in one blow during the opening hours of the game. Potions would have some utility if you could actually use them.
  • 1 point for the economy. There are some interesting ideas here involving the ability to purchase towns and set tax rates, but there's no reason to amass gold except for bribes, and you get plenty of gold for that during regular exploration.
  • 2 points for a main quest. If side-quests actually worked, the game would deserve some credit for them.
  • 3 points for graphics, sound, and interface. They're all fine with nothing special.
  • 2 points for gameplay. It gets a little credit for nonlinearity, but not much because all the dungeons are functionally the same. It isn't all that difficult, but it is annoying.
    
That gives us a final score of 21. I took off points for bugs in the relevant categories and don't therefore feel the need to take off extra points at the end.
       
The excellent cover art is credited to prolific artist Earl Norem.
     
As we discussed a few entries ago, the reviews for this one were relatively merciless. Computer Gaming World rated it #22 on the worst games of all time list. The best review comes from PC Gamer in its first issue (already advertising itself on its cover, in its debut, as "the world's finest PC games magazine"), which gave it 75%. The reviewer, who clearly didn't play very long, particularly prized how quick it is to get into the game: "Your goals are clear, the interface is simple, and you'll be ready to play in no time." Oh, and my favorite phrase: "It refuses to take itself too seriously." Because in the 1990s, we saw an epidemic of games that Took Themselves Too Seriously.
     
MobyGames has the German Play Time giving it 30% (July 1994) and PC Player give it 21% (July 1994). If anyone wants to scan those reviews for choice quotes, I'd appreciate it. I'm particularly interested if anyone else reported the inventory issues. I saw the YouTube players afflicted with them, but I wonder if we're not all playing the same corrupted copy. It seems weird that no one would have noticed the bugs before it shipped. Maybe it's some Y2K issue.
      
Of the three designers, I haven't been able to find much about Steve Cohen.
      
Red Crystal's failure doesn't seem to have hurt anyone in the long run. Creator Charles Griffith continued to work in the game industry through the late 1990s before moving to other industries (this was his last credited game as principal designer, though). Co-designer (and QQP founder) Bruce Williams Zaccagnino achieved his dream of opening a model train museum in New Jersey called Northlandz; it is still in business, although it has changed owners and expanded to include miniatures of all types. QQP spent another few years publishing wargames and casino games, never again venturing into RPG territory.

59 comments:

  1. "Bruce Williams Zaccagnino achieved his dream of opening a model train museum in New Jersey called Northlandz;"

    Suddenly I am much more interested in his view of the secrets of life, because he won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if his secret (as per the "pride" advice) is understanding that he's better than everyone else but having the tact not to say it, I've already mastered that one.

      Delete
    2. Seriously, I watched an interview with him, and if nothing else, I think he exemplified his own advice on "enthusiasm."

      Delete
  2. You can find the scans of the German reviews here: https://www.kultboy.com/testbericht-uebersicht/5582/
    The reviewers complain about the graphics, sound and interface (buggy mouse handling) but not the inventory.

    I picked this game up around 1999 in a yard sale and played it for a few hours. I don't remember issues with the inventory but then again I don't remember much of this game which is probably a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first review is very funny. But yeah I don't see any complaints about serious bugs, so something odd must be going on here.

      If the currently available copy isn't corrupted, I'd take a wild guess that it could be the code for one particular sound card or something related to the RAM configuration.

      Delete
  3. Okay, some choice quotes:

    "I didn't learn about the seven secrets of life from the game, but it taught me the secret of sleep. That's at least something." (PC Games)

    "The game promises innumerable types of monsters. I take offense, I can count to seven alright." (PC Games)

    "Thankfully, it's a rare case that an RPG offers such a poor story, ridiculously small adventuring world and boring gameplay." (PC Joker)

    "Red Crystal can be installed with or without the animated introduction. If you're aesthetically sensitive, I recommend ." (PC Player)

    "Collision detection has been programmed amateurishly, so you'll regularly get notified that you can't enter a house which you actually wanted to walk by." (PC Player)

    "No matter whether you are strolling through the dull castle dungeons or engaging in a battle you can't affect by either tactics or dexterity - it'll take a mere five minutes until boredom sets in." (PC Player)

    "The two-player mode doesn't add to the experience. Why should yet another sword make this tragedy of a game any more interesting?" (PC Player)

    So, as we see, contemporary German reviewers were blown away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be "I recommend -without-", don't know how it got swallowed.

      (...maybe the game's bugs take effect over time and space.)

      Delete
    2. These are awesome quotes. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

      Delete
    3. Some more reviews:
      Gambler (Poland): 70% but the review feels much more negative than a 70%: "Enemies are slow but sturdy - you often hit them for 1 HP when they can have 150 to go through, so you need to run, which is tiring for your hands and time-consuming." The reviewers reckons that the game is effectively an "adventure/horror game with RPG elements".

      KPC Games (Italy): 690/1000. Nothing stands out in the review, the game is just described as mediocre in both graphics ("graphics are comparable to the first Ultima") and gameplay.

      Delete
    4. That Polish one is a little unfair. That only happens at the beginning of the game, and only if you have the wrong attack pattern. The manual tells you about this. Also: "adventure/horror"?!

      Delete
    5. I coudl read the Italian one myself, but I don't read Polish, so that's what Google told me they were saying :). Still, they mention this (=Adventure) at the beginning and at the end of the review, so they're bullish on this.

      Delete
    6. Wargaming Scribe, could you paste here quote from Gambler in Polish? I can translate it.

      Delete
    7. The full article is here:
      https://archive.org/details/gambler_magazine-1994-08/page/n71/mode/2up

      Page 72

      Delete
    8. Thanks!

      OK, here's some interesting quotes from Gambler:

      "Red Crystal is rather mediocre adventure game with RPG elements".

      "I recommend demo [he means intro] or rather animated story of War of the Red Crystals to all horror fans. It's nicely done and animations are pretty fluid [...] Most interesting scene is skeleton warrior emerging from the fog. Graphics are - as always - weaker but in combination with simple sound effects create nice horror-like atmosphere".

      Google Translate made some errors (but nothing major):

      "Enemies aren't slow and they are sturdy - you often hit them for 1 HP when they can have 150 to go through, so you need to run around them, which is tiring for your hands, time-consuming and nerve-wrecking".

      And in conclusion...

      "Graphics aren't bad, but that doesn't mean they are pretty. Music isn't catchy, but on the other hand isn't painful. I recommend this adventure game developed by QQP mainly to horror fans - some scenes are really nice. Of course nice for people who like the sight of blood".

      Delete
  4. That's some excellent box art indeed, thanks for pointing me to Earl Norem, I'm fascinated with this style of illustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second this! I've been enjoying looking at some of his artwork.

      Delete
  5. So 'voidwalking' (glitching outside the walls and wandering freely) did not start with Daggerfall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell 'em Steve-Dave patreon podcast recently had a video episode of visiting Northlandz. It's a pretty impressive place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I'd assume the issues got past playtesting because I doubt there was any, at least not to any real extent. My theory is that this game's an example of feature creep in action, where they spent most of the development time adding cool new features, while not leaving enough time to make sure all the cool new features actually work together. It's just that unlike something like Serpent Isle or Daggerfall where there was enough polish for them to end up with their defenders, this just ended up being a borderline unplayable mess

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turns out the seven secrets of life were the exploits you made along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. The TRUE seven secrets to life:

      1. ACCEPTANCE. When a tool seems to be working a lot better than makes any rational sense, don't fight it. Just go with it.

      2. CREATIVITY. When life gives you lemons, convince an NPC to take the lemons instead of the ancestral artifact you promised to find for him.

      3. PRIORITIES. "Side quest" is another term for something that takes you away from your goal. Keep your eyes on the prize.

      4. DESTINATION. It doesn't matter what route you take, even if unconventional. It matters where you arrive.

      5. MOMENTUM. Don't stop for anything, particularly combats with ants.

      6. TRUST YOUR GUT. When you feel "distressed," that's a good sign your goal is in reach.

      7. EFFICIENCY. Every time you have to do the same thing more than once, find a way to do it faster next time.

      Delete
    2. What if we swap out Acceptance for Expedience, Priorities for Selectiveness, Destination for Results, Momentum for Tirelessness, and Trust Your Gut for Hunches?

      Then you would have
      1) Creativity
      2) Hunches
      3) Expedience
      4) Selectiveness
      5) Tirelessness
      6) Efficiency, and
      7) Results

      Or C.H.E.S.T.E.R for short.

      Delete
  9. "a couple of weapons (including the Deathaxe, which I wielded) kill every enemy in a single hit"

    Another happy customer -- it does exactly what it says on the tin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo! I really enjoyed how you acclimated to what was being offered and then adapted and embraced the "breakage" to win it using the breakage to your advantage. It was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started reading thinking, "I know he's an addict, but at some point maybe just quit a game like this..." but in the next few paragraphs I realized he was enjoying the experience and sharing it with us and I am grateful.

      Delete
  11. From PlayTime:

    Evil has once again conquered a world. As always, it's up to you to free this world and discover the secrets of life along the way. Red Crystals is a moderate action role-playing game with a two-player mode

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a true gem. A game so horribly broken that it becomes a game in itself to just play it. It's been a really fun couple of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are YouTube videos that do deep dives into a game's code to identify the causes of well-known bugs or aberrations. I'd watch one for this game for sure, as I have a feeling that there's one fundamental error (either a single mistake or the same mistake repeatedly made) that ended up having massive knock-on effects throughout the rest of the game by corrupting everything. In humans it only takes one or two small genetic deletions or corruptions to affect every aspect of a person's life; maybe we're seeing the same indexing error here over and over again, all caused by one bad library or incorrectly-written routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. stepped pyramidsMay 5, 2024 at 1:39 AM

      My hunch is that it's some combination of broken "is game object of type" procedure(s) and "find item in list" procedures. The fact that at least one bug manifests as losing whatever's last in your inventory rather than the expected item suggests to me that they have a "find item in list" procedure that returns the final item in the list if the expected item isn't found. (This is a schoolboy error in either assembly or C.) This would also explain the time he bought a town, it didn't stick, but another town ended up belonging to him.

      This could possibly also explain why classes can use spells that they're not supposed to, but if I had to guess I'd say it's a much more fundamental issue: they never implemented it. Big ol' TODO comment. There's a lot in this game that gives the impression of someone writing the most basic possible proof of concept implementation and never getting back to it (every NPC in towns swarming you constantly, for instance, or armor just disappearing into your defense points when used).

      Delete
    2. Maybe it's some very clever anti-piracy measure?

      Delete
    3. Likely a result of a "fix" to a minor issue right before they printed the disks...

      Delete
    4. @PO That's true, an anti-piracy measure that only takes effect on modern computers would make sense, especially if reviews of the time don't mention the inventory issues. There's a fun YouTube video about how the Steam release of Rockstar's Manhunt was badly implemented by the publisher, causing all of the anti-piracy traps to turn on - so anyone who plays the hacked version dodges the traps, but people who pay for the real release get caught by them!

      Delete
    5. I have spent some time googling and the only copies I'm able to find are cracked ones.

      It would be interesting to see if a clean dump (uncracked) or installing from original floppy images presents the same issue, as some cracks tend to be a bit too "invasive".

      Delete
  14. This was a really fun playthrough to follow. I found the issue of Play Time on kultmags, and they didn’t even give it more than 1/8 of the page, including a screenshot; quoted in full:

    “Evil has yet again conquered the world. As always, it is up to you to liberate the world and to discover the secrets of life while you’re at it. Red Crystal appears as a middling action RPG with a two-player mode.” Graphics 50%, sound 10% and fun 30%.

    Not sure if the reviewer played this a lot, otherwise they might have delivered a more thoroughly destructive article.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I gave a long thought to the bug issues of this game, and I think that the most plausible situation is that the game does something with memory allocation that modern memory management utilities may interpret as clearing memory, while the DOS code running on a physical machine, perhaps with popular at the time pointer math, would perhaps run the same command, but without actually clearing memory content, so it could still reference a "deleted" value or variable at a physical address since it wasn't really deleted, since it was never overwritten with anything to begin with. If anything, garbage collection did get a lot more with time and in multitasking environment.

    Perhaps this could be the issue with your playthrough of MegaTraveller as well, where leveling was very rare, if the devs decided to read a random memory content for random variable generation, which was no longer random at re-implementation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're probably right that something with RC is happening in emulation that wasn't happening on original installations, but with MT1, Scorpia complained about the same issues in her review.

      Delete
    2. This may be worth bringing up in the DosBox forums. Not so much to get the game fixed for you, but because they are arguably the most capable of giving a clear answer to what's going on here.

      (frankly I still find it more plausible that this game was simply rushed and untested, than that this game and ONLY this game triggers a highly specific DosBox bug)

      Delete
    3. @Radiant, I think you miss my point - I believe it may be the case where a number of internal bugs related to memory management didn't manifest itself on physical DOS machines at the time because physical DOS machines didn't have as advanced memory management tools as DOS Box likely would.

      Delete
    4. @CRPG Addict, there are a few things both you and I get wrong.

      Firstly, Scorpia reviewed MT2; MT1 wasn't hers.

      Secondly, Scorpia complains about one of the two things in MT2 that you complained about: that training halls are useless. However, while her complaint is similar, the skills that she kept encountering in training halls are different; it looks like there was a randomization bug somewhere.

      Thirdly, regarding your chief complaint - lack of skill increases - both reviewers for MT1 and MT2 are actually mum.

      Delete
    5. @Radiant, it's not that implausible that this game has a bug in DOSbox. There are quite a few games that either don't work in DOSbox or require a specific version to run, so it's not unreasonable that DOSbox might introduce an error that isn't immediately caught. It happens in emulators for other systems, so I don't see why an already buggy game on a somewhat buggy platform would be immune to bugs being introduced during emulation.

      Delete
    6. If I can find a copy of the game, I can test this fairly easily on a real DOS machine. Won't be for a few days, though.

      Delete
    7. I'm still skeptical. I interviewed F. J. Lennon, the guy that designed MT1 and MT2, and he agreed that lack of character development was a problem.

      Delete
    8. He read my entries, I should add, and didn't raise any objections.

      Delete
    9. It's also consistent with P&P Traveller which has little to no character development after character creation. I think my copy of Mongoose traveller mentions it in one paragraph.

      Memory management in DOS is pretty primitive from an OS point of view. There are some complexities regarding extended memory, but basically DOS hands over memory to the application. Errors in memory handling would likely lead to very erratic behaviour and crashes. Something as consistent as always getting the last item looks more like a programming error or an unsuccessful crack attempt.
      But the only way to tell for sure would be to play an original copy on original hardware.

      Delete
    10. @Morpheus Well, that's why I suggested to ask the DOSbox team 🙂

      However, when games don't run in DOSbox, it's almost always that they don't start, or that graphics or sound fail. The issues with this game are with its internal logic (apparently off-by-one array indexing or faulty pointer math), and internal logic is very easy to emulate. So the most likely explanation here is sloppy programming, not an emulation bug.

      But I'd love to see Gnoman's test on a real DOS machine.

      Delete
    11. DOS emulation is mature enough by now that problems with emulation are less likely to be "The Emulator is wrong" and more likely to be "The software is wrong, but some lucky coincidence of timing or memory alignment kept it from being an issue on the original hardware"

      Delete
    12. Yes, and I'd say it's even more likely to be "the software is wrong and didn't work well on non-emulated DOS, either".

      Delete
    13. There are areas where even modern emulation often get it wrong, and areas where it's almost impossible to go wrong.

      Timing on DOS in particular is a big challenge because there was so much hardware out there, and it changed significantly over time. So each game is targeted at a window of hardware capabilities, and when you are emulating you have to choose something. Maybe the game only worked well on high end machines of the time. Additionally, even the timing of individual instructions might have been taken into account by a game, and that's going to be at least slightly wrong in an emulator. This is more likely to be true in the really early games.

      Memory management and architecture is something that only has a few real mechanical variants. I didn't know what they could be doing to mess up DOSBox on that. So things like pulling the item from the end, or off by one errors, these are almost certainly logic errors that would have occurred in the original.

      Random Number Generation is somewhere in between. It could be implemented in the toolchain library, but many games implement their own. I'm not sure how much it would be driven by hardware back then. But certainly some RNGs now try to introduce entropy with timing.

      Delete
    14. Yeah, a lot of DOS software was using the 8-bit paradigm of timing things by counting how long individual instructions took rather than using the system timer, and that would fall apart even from one generation of CPU to the next.
      Branch prediction on the Pentium completely broke a lot of assumptions that game designers were relying on. "By the book", they should have been using the system clock all along, then things would have worked fine, but the story of video game programming in the 20th century was a lot of "It takes 90 seconds to get across the bridge, so technically we're fine if I finish building it at second 89"

      Delete
    15. And so often, it was the biggest companies making these poor design choices. In the adventure world, there are a handful of games by Sierra (and others) that became unplayable on computers just a few years after their release. Mo'Slo was a godsend when it was first developed.

      Delete
  16. What a ride. You took a deeply flawed game and using those very flaws, created a masterpiece of a playthrough. I was one of the people who was sure you should just give up after the first 10 hours or so and am so glad you didn't. Instead you segued into a delightful glitched speedrun.

    Have you ever watched extremely glitched speedruns? If not, you reinvented on of the key techniques: breaking out of the play area into the void beyond. And where other people slowly hone in on a series of glitches that shortens the game after many playthroughs, you worked it out realtime on your first time through with humour and grace. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think there's something unintentionally artistic about a game in which the whole goal is to discover ways to live better that aren't self-evident having the entire metagame be about discovering ways to play better that aren't self-evident.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They didn't follow at least one of their own secrets...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments about the material in this blog, and I generally do not censor them. However, please follow these rules:

1. Do not link to any commercial entities, including Kickstarter campaigns, unless they're directly relevant to the material in the associated blog posting. (For instance, that GOG is selling the particular game I'm playing is relevant; that Steam is having a sale this week on other games is not.) This also includes user names that link to advertising.

2. Please avoid profanity and vulgar language. I don't want my blog flagged by too many filters. I will delete comments containing profanity on a case-by-case basis.

3. NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. It makes it impossible to tell who's who in a thread. If you don't want to log in to Google to comment, either a) choose the "Name/URL" option, pick a name for yourself, and just leave the URL blank, or b) sign your anonymous comment with a preferred user name in the text of the comment itself.

4. I appreciate if you use ROT13 for explicit spoilers for the current game and upcoming games. Please at least mention "ROT13" in the comment so we don't get a lot of replies saying "what is that gibberish?"

5. Comments on my blog are not a place for slurs against any race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or mental or physical disability. I will delete these on a case-by-case basis depending on my interpretation of what constitutes a "slur."

Blogger has a way of "eating" comments, so I highly recommend that you copy your words to the clipboard before submitting, just in case.

I read all comments, no matter how old the entry. So do many of my subscribers. Reader comments on "old" games continue to supplement our understanding of them. As such, all comment threads on this blog are live and active unless I specifically turn them off. There is no such thing as "necro-posting" on this blog, and thus no need to use that term.

I will delete any comments that simply point out typos. If you want to use the commenting system to alert me to them, great, I appreciate it, but there's no reason to leave such comments preserved for posterity.

I'm sorry for any difficulty commenting. I turn moderation on and off and "word verification" on and off frequently depending on the volume of spam I'm receiving. I only use either when spam gets out of control, so I appreciate your patience with both moderation tools.