Now that I have the elevator key, there are new paths in front of me. It will grant me access to several of those previously dead-end locations on six and seven, plus provide entry to every floor below that. I'm feeling pretty buff from my recent level increases.
The first ones to get it are those squirrels on the sixth floor, which turn out to be black dragons. Their breath bypasses my invisibility, but only occasionally. Caltrop beats one of them while accidentally dual-wielding one sword and one sack of coins. 900 gold is a sweet reward, but training is now up to 2-4,000 for one character, so I need much more than that.
I try the seventh floor next. I've been here before but had not been mapping. The interconnected tangle of corridors sprawls over the entire western half of the floor. Either I've missed a secret door, or the eastern half is detached. Other than maneuvering around a bunch of floor pits and finding one staircase down at the far end, there isn't much to it.
There is one unsolved riddle from a talking head. "What was once hot, then cold, serves good and evil alike, and can bestow death and honour?" I tried IRON and STEEL with no luck. Maybe I should have tried SWORD.
I'd rather use the elevator than the stairs for now, so I backtrack and take that to the eighth floor. The elevator gate here is not locked, unlike almost all the other floors, which makes me wary. I know an ominous invitation when I see one.
Most of the walls on this floor are see-through, like thick glass. There's a vague haze in the air showing where they are. It's not exactly hard to navigate around them, only slightly disorienting. The map tends to put ceiling holes at junctions, which does help spot them as you move. The main feature is you can see more things in the distance, sometimes tantalizing things you don't know how to reach.
I belatedly discover a hidden room in the corner of the sixth floor that seems like a lost armory. It's loaded with gear, most of it low-value, including too many arrows. But it's got a couple of pieces with promising descriptions. For example, of three long swords, two have plain blurbs ("gray iron with leather-bound grip") while the third's info pane reads: "gold filigreed blade, jeweled hilt." We haul it all back to sell but end up keeping a lightly enchanted long sword, a shield +1, and a ring that lowers AC by 2. The ring goes to the wizard, of course, who was walking around at an unimproved AC 10. There's also another suit of plate mail in the shop finally, so I buy that to replace Wort's ring mail, improving his AC by 4.
Back at the eighth floor, I am busy prepping a new page of graph paper when we're jumped by enemies. It's a large, mixed group: two vampires, four elementals (earth, air, fire, water), and a giant lizard just for kicks. The vampires attack immediately, triggering some kind of visible and audible alert, but I've missed what it was. I have my invisible characters square off with them while the others spread out and take on the elementals. I get the message window open and see that the earth elemental is trying to suffocate me and the water elemental is trying to drown me. I become more wary, because while these might just be the wording of their attacks, I'm not sure if there's a chance of an insta-kill. It's a long fight with a lot of missed attacks on both sides, and it grants over 3,000 XP, two or three times more than the next largest battle I've seen. When it ends, I confirm DV was level drained, twice, and is now level 1. I check in town but there doesn't seem to be a restore option at the temple, and I don't have the money to mess with this, so I reload.
I take a look at the party's armor status and realize Mulk in the back just got all the upgrades and is -1, while DV up front is 3 and Jexica 5. Invisibility has been helping so far, but it's not everything. Knowing I'm likely to run right back into the same group of enemies in a minute, I retool and give DV the best stuff, hoping that will get him through the next fight unscathed. I also have the clerics memorize a "Faer" and a "Fortis Al" for combat benefits along with some "Gestuns" for damage. I haven't needed to rely on spells other than healing so far, but this seems like the time to get prepared.
Naturally, the next time I visit, that group is nowhere to be seen. I fight battles with some other common monsters and earn about 900 gold. This is enough to level Caltrop the fighter to 5.
On another outing, I have a disastrous mis-click in what should be an easy fight. Two characters are overlapping each other, and while trying to move one I instead end up activating Jexica's weapon and dragging it away from her, which in the game interface causes it to be thrown. You can throw almost anything, but in this case it hurls the +4 rapier in the direction of Siobhan and kills her in one hit. Sheesh. That's a reload. (It's also the second time this has happened.)
There's a plaque that lists the symbol-words for three fifth-level cleric spells, "Cural" (improved party heal), "Sanctifis" (extended bless), and "Freosan" (freeze foes). The manual only gave the words for the first three levels, but plaques have now provided the next two levels of spells for me. (The hintbook has them, too, but I'm ignoring that for now.)
I have wasted time doing more misguided things in my life, but this one is pretty well up there.
In one corner I see foes lurking through the glass. More dragons. They're hazy but far sight pulls them up in sharp detail. I never find a way to get to them, though.
On the north side of the floor there's one 3 x 3 block of solid rock, with stairs going up on all four sides. One of these leads up to the down stairwell I found on 6 but didn't use before. I'm guessing the others lead to fragmented sections covering the remaining half of the seventh floor. I skip them for now.
The second half of the floor goes quickly, and again finding ways to carry gold is the only obstacle. I decide I'm going to leave helms and gloves back at camp, because they don't give much protection and take up a full inventory slot that could be a bag of gold. I get firebombed by the same laughing magician a couple of times.
We find another magical shield and a "boomerang axe." Damage is listed as only 1-6, which is low for a weapon, but if it's reusable and can replace a bow (which consumes arrows, a limited resource that also takes up too much inventory space) it might be worth it. When I test in combat, the axe is consistently doing 6 and hitting often, while a few tests with bows do 0 damage. I'm not sure if some monsters are simply immune, but Siobhan is still using her starting dagger and doesn't have enough spell slots to be effective as a caster yet, so I give her the axe. Her aim isn't great (the line jiggles like crazy) but since it boomerangs she can do this repeatedly from outside melee range as long as no party members are too close to her.
I pop back up to 7 and try the riddle door one more time. It was SWORD after all. A secret door slides open.
Beyond it, I'm charged by some vaguely salamander-looking creatures with a weird name like "lermenysty." Nobody can seem to hit them, and it's 30 rounds before one lucky strike kills one. I start having characters try to throw their axes, and that seems to work better. I have a fuzzy memory of doing this in tight spots back in the 90s. I think there's something weird in the differences between melee and ranged combat, and for whatever reason missile weapons connect more often.
![]() |
| $10 for anyone who can figure out the etymology of "lermenysty." |
If I had to speculate, I would guess that melee combat uses a typical D&D-style to-hit table, and my low-level characters are mostly whiffing against tough foes. But when it comes to throwing objects, since the game interface provides a visual interpretation of bad aim (low level and low dexterity make the throw line jump all over the place) I think that stands in for the to-hit calculation. If you miss a throw, it's because you literally missed the correct angle, but if your line of sight is true, it hits, regardless of your level or ability. That said, thrown axes do miss some of the time, but it's less than 25%, whereas melee attacks might only hit 5% of the time.
I return to 8 and try the other three stairwells back up to 7. I think what's going on here is on the 8th floor, the stairs are separate, but on the 7th it's one square that behaves differently depending on which direction you approach it from. (Looking at the hint book much later, it talks about a weird pyramidical staircase, which I guess is supposed to represent this, but I can't figure out how that's morphologically possible.)
I explored the north side before, so I go up from the west and end up in the east. It's a compact, zig-zaggy zone with a lot of mirror symmetry and floor pits laid out like the five pips of a die in one spot and a diamond in another. You need "Levitas" to hit all the squares, but you can loop through most of them with checkers-style jumping.
Fights seem tougher, even though I trained recently and have also done the other half of this level already. They hit me a little more often. I miss about 80% of the time. But it's still a slow bleed, easily fixed by a "Haelan" or its full-party version. As I've leveled up, it's started doing 4-6 per casting more often (rather than 2), and in a few more levels it will be healing 8 or 10 HP on some castings.
After a fight with a bunch of air elementals or dervishes, I get a scimitar called Defender, which conveys -4 AC and 10% magic resistance in addition to doing 2-10 damage. Pretty good. I give that to Jexica, who needs the armor boost, and move the +4 rapier to DV.
The section traces a long, winding path and ends in a floor pit, with not much else to show for it. Suspicious. I check the map for the floor below, and this pit lines up with an unexplored box, probably a single square. I don't like it, but I save and jump in.
On the ground is a skull wand, so this is clearly a necessary visit. But I can't get out! I try Levitas and check every command and option three more times, also scouring the game manual for any other suggestion, like a higher-level flying spell, but there's nothing. Maybe there's an item that will let me fly? I know I could "Wish" myself back home, but then the elevator would be trapped on the wrong floor. I think I could probably get back down via pits, but the whole idea feels both risky and unnatural. I have to be missing something. For now, it's a reload. I mark the spot for a future return.
I try the other stairwells. One takes me to a single empty square. Huh.
Another branch in this section leads to a single pit. This one, like the wand pit above, seems to be positioned over an unexplored square.
![]() |
| I reconnoiter from the eighth floor. Peering through clear walls into this spot, I can see waiting treasure. |
What the hell is a "Risan"? It's not in the manual, which is weird. Based on the name, it sounds an awful lot like it might be a flying spell. Is this what I've been looking for the whole time? I curse at the game for making this so obscure, and for the bad luck in jumping into the wrong pit first.
Like D&D, you can cast a scroll one time, which consumes it, or use the scroll to scribe it in the book, whence you can memorize it as many times as you like. Only a fool would allow a limited-edition, secret item to be destroyed.
Siobhan studies "Risan." As the hours tick by, we get attacked by vampires. During the fight, DV is level-drained twice again, putting him back to first level. Worse, in the aftermath we find that the spell didn't make it into the book but the scroll is gone. It was destroyed by the interruption.
The manual told me there'd be days like this. You better believe that's a reload.
Back in the pit, I think smart and try to thin out the wandering monsters by having my clerics memorize some spells first. I'm interrupted three times in a row. They are tough fights, but no vampires. I'm seeing mind flayers and scanners—beholder ripoffs—along with other repeat enemies. The mix does seem partly randomized. After three interruptions, I try to scribe "Risan" again—it takes more hours than expected, like half a day—and I'm done! Now to memorize it.
Well, it's level 9. Siobhan is only level 5. She can't learn it. What the heck?
I guess that's why they gave me two of these scrolls. I invoke the remaining one, get out of the pit, and step clear. Two humanoid figures called "mantrees" attack. I've fought off some before, and they're dangerous because they sometimes cast a damaging area spell, "Flaming Hands." This time the two spam it so quickly and consistently half the party is dead before I know what's going on.
In camp, the gargoyle burns Meanie when he tries to take it for appraisal. I think this is an alignment thing. It's the first time I've seen it applied.
I sell the other statue for 2,900. I have to give the gargoyle to a neutral character to sell. It appraises for 8,000 but I can only sell it for less than 6,000 due to lower mien. Still, this is the most money I've seen in about three floors and three game hours. Everyone is so far behind on training it's not funny.
I have enough money to train either three base classes (cleric, fighter, wizard) from 5-6 or to get two premium class characters from Levels 3-4. I'm starting to regret the premium classes. I figured the greater XP requirements would slow them down but didn't imagine cash would be such a bottleneck. I pick the larger group.
Caltrop goes from 33 to 42 HP, Wort from 21 to 26. Siobhan gains a single point, up to 17. I'm worried her health is going to be a real problem. I confirm all three could go to Level 7 already if I had the money, and I'm guessing it's really 8, maybe close to 9, which is the level I need to be to memorize "Risan."
It's time to review my to-do list. With a few minor exceptions, I think I have explored all of floors 7 and 8 now. The remaining items include one locked door I can't get past and the pit with the wand. It bothers me that I still have roughly a third of the sixth floor remaining—the part with easy fights, lots of gold, and a magic dagger—but I can't get back out of that section without "Risan" or a "Wish."
It starts to dawn on me what the game probably intended for the order of my exploration. I was supposed to lose access to the elevator early. Doing the first five floors more or less in order was correct. As I ventured into floor 6, I would have regained access to the elevator. Then, because 6 and 7 were blocked, I was supposed to use the elevator to skip them and investigate floor 8 and proceed through it, climbing back up into 7 from there, only getting the elevator key right about now. The elevator grate being unlocked on 8 wasn't a trap: it was a feature. None of this requires a "Wish," either, and it flows fairly naturally, other than it offends my sensibilities to be doing things out of order. I guess that's how I know the big bad Nequilar is evil.







Well, Lermenysty is an anagram of "Mystery Len", but that's likely a coincidence.
ReplyDeleteIt's also an anagram of "Enemy Stryl", which would make sense were there any friendly creatures in the game called stryls (or some anagram of "stryl"), but I'm guessing there aren't.
I don't know if it helps or confuses the issue, but the image for them is ripped from the 1st edition D&D Monster Manual image for a remorhaz. It's one of about a dozen other images that are also copied, including water, air, and fire elementals, barbed demons, purple worms, and some others. The names don't always line up, such as the D&D image of a naga being applied to something the game calls a kind of worm.
DeleteAh! I have it! It's an anagram for "Try My Sleen"! Obviously the Lermenysty was part of a stealth marketing campaign for a scheduled project called Sleen that ended up being canceled before its rollout..
Delete(Joking, in case that wasn't obvious...)
Ah, level drain, one of Gygax's most annoying legacies.
ReplyDeleteThere was a spell in first-edition D&D that could reverse level drain, but it was a seventh-level cleric spell—in that edition the highest possible level of cleric spell (magic-user spells went to ninth level but cleric only to seventh)—and only worked if it was cast within one day per level of the cleric casting it from the time the level drain occurred. That means for a low-level character, the spell might as well not have existed, since it was extremely unlikely that they would be able to find a 16th-level cleric willing to cast the spell on them, particularly within the deadline. (Convenient temples with high-level clerics willing to cast spells on you for a nominal fee were not a thing, unless you had a very generous DM.) So until you get to the very high levels where you can cast seventh-level cleric spells or have connections with clerics who can, level drain was for all practical purposes irreversible. You get level drained, too bad; you'll just have to earn all the experience again to make it back to your former level.
I was a DM for a long-running D&D campaign back in the first-edition days, but I don't think I ever had a PC in my campaign level-drained, mostly I think because I just didn't think it would be fun for anyone. (Another very common thing in first-edition D&D that I didn't think was fun: Poison that instantly killed you if you failed a saving throw. The giant centipede, a common monster with one or two hit points, has a poisonous bite that can instantly kill you if you fail your saving throw. Yes, the poison was "weak" and gave a +4 bonus to the saving throw, but that just meant you were 20% less likely to instantly die.)
Chet, I was wondering whether there's a correlation between guest posts and community engagement - it seems like there's a significant drop in comment activity whenever someone else is writing an entry, and will that influence how you handle the matter going forward?
ReplyDeleteIt would if these guest entries were instead of my own entries. But since they're a substitute for posting nothing at all during these periods, I think that even a limited amount of engagement is better than none.
DeleteIs the lesser engagement now because of the guest entry, or because Citadel is a more obscure game than Pagan?
DeleteOut of curiosity, I checked how many comments the latter Yendorian Tales posts got - and it was typically mid-20es per entry. I think it is a good benchmark.
DeleteIf I look at what previous Citadel posts got, it looks pretty similar. And we'll see how many will end up under this one later.
It's the fifth post on a more obscure game with no other games in between. I find it very fascinating to read about, but I wouldn't know what to comment on, no matter who wrote it.
DeleteBy construction, almost any play-through series of guest posts will be for games that are more obscure than the Big Games of a given year. For "Search for Freedom" I usually felt that perhaps there just wasn't much for the community to say; this game seems much more involved, though, and I have to say I'm surprised at the lower level of community engagement.
DeleteI'm guessing it's a brand-name thing, it's the addict's blog with his personal bias and perspective, and people simply aren't as invested when he isn't writing himself, regardless of the game. No offense to Quirkz, though.
DeleteI can only speak for myself - same as Buck I find the game and Quirkz' posts on his playthrough interesting to read, including this one, but had nothing to comment on this time.
DeleteThough, like BESTIEunlmt, I can also imagine some readers (focused on the specific tried and tested 'Chester Bolingbroke experience and voice') seeing our host's announcement about himself not being back posting until October / next weekend earliest and deciding to check back in only then.
Personally, I also read all or at least most comments, so whenever I periodically check my RSS feeder and (even without it showing a new blog post) it tells me about new ones I have enough time to read, I do so as well.
So I did the count of the number of comments
DeleteZone 28
Les Six Lys 56
Search for Freedom 57
Search for Freedom: New Guard 50
Search for Freedom: Repeated Injuries 24
Search for Freedom: Undistinguished 30
Search for Freedom: Our Repeated 14
Search for Freedom: Transporting us 49
Search for Freedom: All Parts 28
Search for Freedom: We have conjured 18
Search for Freedom: Won 19
Search for Freedom: Summary & Rating 30
Citadel Revisiting 33
Citadel: Save Me 19
Citadel: Memoirs 22
Cidatel: Prism 23
Average: 31.25; median: 28
That's less than the average Chet post, but keep in mind Chet plays the big-hitters (recently: U8, Strahd, etc) on which people will have a lot to say, for instance to share their own experience with the game. If you take a random one-article post by Chet, the average is much lower.
By nature, guest posts are about marginal games that no one experience. The length of SfF also drove the average down; the first two posts had 57 and 50 comments.
Also, in my experience a large volume of comments come from one random line in an article rather than on the core of the game - by nature this create a high standard deviation.
When looking at average number of comments in the longer run, another thing to keep in mind is that before Chet implemented the suggestion to discuss upcoming games in a separate post, often part of the comments under an entry were not about the game covered there, but rather others that were (now) upcoming. Especially since he sometimes discussed the same at the end of an entry himself, e.g. when having technical problems or (was considering) discarding them as CRPGs.
DeletePlus, moderating comments having sadly become a necessity recently drives down their number (as I think Chet himself mentioned) since people can't react as spontaneously and quickly to other comments or maybe hold back, wondering if several other commenters already wrote in parallel what they were going to say.
I certainly wouldn't say my engagement is affected by who's authoring the article; this one's definitely been an interesting read I've been following and looking forward to more of.
DeleteFor myself, it's just pretty uncommon for me to have something to say that feels worthwhile committing a comment for in general - having not played most of the games that have come up since starting reading regularly, I'm pretty sure most of my comments are replies to other comments rather than to the article itself.
Busca is right about comment quantity dropping after I turned moderation always on. I really wish there were other options. I have a couple of jackasses out there who "test" whether moderation is still on weekly, so I don't think I can ever remove it.
DeleteI really wonder who these sad excuses for a human being are, why they do this and how come they show up now (especially apparently several of them in parallel - unless it's one person using different accounts / VPN) after 16 years.
DeleteBut maybe the less said about them, the better, as with all of these pathetic trolls who have nothing better to do with their lifetime.
I don't quite think I know another game that would implement "shaking line of sight" minigame for shooting, even though the idea goes back to Future Wars. Well, at least not before System Shock 2, I think.
ReplyDeleteHillsfar also had a variant of this with the archery mechanic.
DeleteNow that I think about it, Cobra Mission also had something similar (in US version).
DeleteIf we don't limit it to shooting, the jousting in Defender of the Crown (1986) also already worked with a shaking cursor for your aim, simulating the unsteady riding movement on horseback as you confront your adversary.
DeleteAbout the riddle, I would have gone with Steel than Iron just like you.
ReplyDeleteSword is a good choice, maybe "metal" for a more generic word.
Else, it is a reference to Puccini and the answer is "blood" :)
SWORD that "can bestow honor" is a reference to knighting ceremony; how is "metal" or "steel" relevant?
DeleteI would assume because that's what swords are made from.
DeleteI haven't been commenting much because I've been busy with work but I just read through a bunch of these Citadel posts and they are very good, even though I never played this game. They give me the feeling of the struggle to improve and the excitement of exploring that a good RPG conveys. Keep up the good work, Qwirkz!
ReplyDeleteSince the conversation of # of comments = readership is coming up, I want to chime in just to mention:
ReplyDeleteI rarely if ever comment on Chet’s posts and same goes for guests but I’m greatly enjoying Citadel (fantastic job highlighting all the quirks of the game … Quirkz) and thoroughly enjoyed Search for freedom (awesome posts Alpha!)
I wonder what how the traffic for number of readers compares.