I'm down on the fourth level now. Here, the walls are filled with sconces, and in every sconce is a torch. I pull them all out until my inventory is overflowing, and then I throw the rest on the floor to help remind me to collect them later. While I'm messing with that, I'm brought into combat.
This one is a larger group with three monster types, including a couple of spiders. I know there's poison in the game because there's a level 8 "Cure Poison" spell, but these spiders don't seem to be poisonous. They are harder to hit and seem to do more damage, though. I get through the fight okay, with a couple of strategic maneuvers to pull back an ailing character for healing in the middle. There are two more bags of gold. Everyone is mostly healed, but I'm out of spells, so I return to town to stock up.
While in town, I offload half a dozen torches to the party stash. I remember that I picked up a dagger on the first floor and take a moment to investigate selling items at the shop. The manual notes a high mien characteristic helps with bargaining. Most of mine range from 6-10, but during my creation phase, I held onto one character whose mien ended up at 14. The rest of his stats were terrible so I'm not adventuring with him. He just hangs out in the tavern. Let's pretend he's the band manager. I named him Meanie, because I was plum out of creativity juice at the time.
As an experiment, I have Meanie and one of my low-mien characters approach the shop. It's quickly clear that mien doesn't affect the purchase price of anything. That dancing sword is 20,000 for both of them. But when it comes to selling, the ugly duckling is offered only 1 GP, while Meanie is offered 3 GP, which is equal to the purchase price of the dagger. That's a much better exchange ratio! I think I remember from my 1995 replay that if you have high enough mien, you can exploit an infinite money glitch, selling for more than the purchase price. For now, that's not an issue, but having a dedicated haggler is going to be valuable.
![]() |
| It pays to be charming. With high enough mien, you can sell bags of gold for more than their literal value. |
Back underground, I find my first key on the floor, and shortly after that a locked door on which the key works. You can edit item names in this game so I change the label on the key to reference the floor. With the key, you have to select the character who is holding it, have the key in inventory (not a pocket), and then have them click the door. The icon does change to show the key in hand, but it's easy to forget and try with the wrong character first. Doors are weird in this game, too. They take up a full square on the map, but you automatically move into them when you open the door. I've already had to redo maps twice because I don't properly count that space.
On the other side of the door, I find a large talking head in one nook, which asks the riddle the Addict already documented. This gives me two separate stairs down from this floor, once I'm ready. Since this one was being gate-kept, I'll probably explore the other first as the more natural path. There's another door and a long hallway with free unlit torches in every square. A bonanza! Except that at the end of the hall there's a bend and a dead end. If this were Skyrim, you'd need to do something like light every torch on the hall to open a secret door. As I'm testing that theory, I drop my torch on the floor and find myself in darkness once again.
Yes. Yes I do: Mostly in case of character loss, in case I only have humans left. But also because I'm not sure if they help me find things like hidden buttons and secret doors. I honestly don't know if there are many of those, but one of my three clear memories from 30 years ago is that there's at least one very important secret door.
I'm attacked again by monsters, another mixed group, this one with more spiders and some kind of worm, plus the crab-blobs.
There's an animation of falling to the next floor. I take minimal damage, which seems nice, and even sweeter are the four 100-gold piece bags sitting at my feet. Problem is, I've got a locked door to my back and in front of me there's a prowling monster that is either a feisty squirrel or a dragon. With only one direction to go, we step into a fight and are immediately slaughtered by what I'm assuming were not squirrels. It's my first full-party death. I'm sent back to the tavern but all my heroes are either totally gone or left behind in the dungeon—I'm not sure which, but I won't find out because I reload instead.
This is when I realize I've been making a mistake with the save files. If you launch the game from the main app, it runs off the main save file, but when you restore a game by launching from a backup file, the game then continues writing to that backup file. To be fair, the manual warns you that this is how it works and tells you to immediately back up again if you restore from one of these files, but my instincts are all wrong and I keep forgetting to do it. For me, saving in an old blobber like this is for towns. You don't want to trap yourself in a walking dead scenario. Save files are supposed to be re-usable, and only a madman (or a mad god) would save immediately after restoring.
The next time through that square room, I don't see any Tasmanian devils at all, but I do find a stairwell up to a different part of the previous level. Thinking this will be safer, I start exploring, mapping a large and twisting room uneventfully. In the back of the room I detect a gleam of treasure, what looks like a full set of armor. I rush to grab it but am jumped by a trio comprising a sorceress, an executioner, and a minotaur. The minotaur is very tough, seeming to get twice as many attacks as everyone else. We only barely win the fight, but it's worth a ton of XP—over 400. One more fight and a couple of my base class characters will go up a level.
I've also learned a couple of things. One, mien is a little erratic when it comes to sales prices. I considered selling the sticky chalice, and was offered 2,000 GP. A nice haul, but I wasn't sure if this was a valuable item, so I declined. When I checked later the same character was only offered 1,400 GP. Then on successive inquiries it bounced between 1,600 and 1,800, before giving me an all-time high of 2,040. I said yes, and when I looked in the shop I could buy it back for 2,000. Honestly, it's a little weird and annoying that I would need to try to sell items a handful of times, take down the best price, and then maybe keep trying for a while to get or beat it.
I also was reminded that when a character dies, you can't move or do anything while the dead characters are "unsupported." In the party window, you need to drag the icon of a dead character onto that of a living character, to indicate who's carrying whom. Also, whenever you select a dead character, the screen goes black, because you're seeing what they're seeing. Every time this happens, I think the game has crashed or we've all died before I remember to click back.
I decide to ditch my magus, who hasn't been very effective as a fighter, has only 5 HP, and will require 50% more XP to level up in the long run. I don't need two magicians without spellbooks. I make a second pure fighter instead, DV, this one with 8 HP, so I have a stronger front line. If or when I find a second spellbook, I'll consider swapping him out.
As frustrating as it feels to lose progress, it only takes me 15 minutes to get back to the same spot I was in before. More of the time is spent mapping and dealing with unfamiliar territory. Once you know what you're doing, it's easy to repeat.
On the fifth floor, the map has really opened up, and I have multiple unexplored paths, including what seems to be most of a 28 x 28 grid (this game works with the "worm tunnels" model, with a solid square of rock surrounding the explorable space) plus multiple up and down stairwells. I keep trying different paths and make good progress on the map, even if my characters aren't getting any benefit. I find so many torches that my party stash in town actually fills up, and I stop collecting them. I have burned through exactly two so far. I don't know why I'm being so paranoid.
It becomes clear some areas have fixed combats, but there are also a decent number of random encounters. This implies there isn't a fixed limit on XP or gold in the game. I've seen at least a dozen different types of monsters, though as far as I can tell all attacks so far are physical. I still don't have monster names and all combat gives is hit/miss sounds; there's no way to tell how much HP they have or how much damage I'm doing. Some combats drop multiple weapons, a few drop gold sacks in amounts varying from 50 to 200.
![]() |
| Four game hours from now, I will find this combat message window and be forced to retract my complaints. Instead, I'll complain that this window covers too much of the screen. |










I like how you still use oldschool graph paper for mapping. I did for a long time until I managed to find a decent mapping tool which I actually payed for.
ReplyDeleteThat message about being returned to the edge of town is really weird to me, like who am I supposed to be playing as that's getting returned to town? The spirit of the party???
ReplyDeleteI also make tiny dots in my dungeon maps to mark squares I've stepped on.
ReplyDelete"Suffice to say that things start to look up from here."
No way but up when you're at the bottom of the elevator shaft.