Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Game 589: Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession (1994)

           
Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession
United States
DreamForge Intertainment (developer); Strategic Simulations, Inc. (publisher)
Released in 1994 for DOS, 1995 for FM Towns and PC-98
Date Started: 14 August 2026
     
Strahd's Possession adapts one of the most popular tabletop RPG modules of all time—so popular that even I read it, although I wasn't much of a tabletop RPG player. I loved it. Decades before pop culture decided to reformulate vampires as angsty teenagers (or, I suppose, years before, if you think it all started with The Lost Boys), the module presented an atmospheric, gothic, suspense-filled adventure with a compelling and complex villain inspired by the original "vampyr." More on him in a bit.
       
The CRPG begins with a reasonably well-animated and voiced cinematic, the narrator using a Bela Lugosi-style Hungarian accent. The PCs (as we'll discover, there are two of them) are given as knights of the benevolent Lord Dhelt of Elturel. This is in the Forgotten Realms, just up the river from Baldur's Gate. Some unspecified evil has been threatening the land, and the companions have just returned from patrol. They arrive at Lord Dhelt's chambers in the wake of an assassin's attack that has left Dhelt and his mage, Baranta Chansil, wounded. Dhelt tells the PCs that the assassin stole a holy symbol of Helm and fled to the forest. The PCs follow him to a dark forest. End of intro.
         
The aftermath of the attack.
       
The player creates two characters from the usual AD&D races, classes, and alignments, and with the usual attributes. This might be the first game in which character creation has consisted of two characters. It's a weird number. Thanks to commenters on my "Upcoming Games" posting (thanks in particular to SB and Man of Stone), I understand that up to two hirelings will be able to join the party later, that clerics and mages are particularly important, and that there are no mage hirelings in the sequel. Thus, a player who wants to bring his characters into the sequel should probably create a cleric and mage. I decided not to worry about the sequel (I'll likely create new characters). I created:
   
  • Summer, a lawful good female human paladin. 
  • Quill, a chaotic good male half-elf ranger.
      
The unusual character creation process is in keeping with the spirit of the module.
      
The whole character creation process is presented as a Vistani fortune teller with tarot cards "foretelling" the characters. ("Vistani" are the gypsies of the setting. The term does not appear in the original module, which used "gypsy" exclusively. The game goes back and forth.) The player chooses sex, race, etc. by picking the appropriate cards. There are 18 portrait choices for both men and women. They offer a decent selection, but some of them are clearly at odds with the 18-21 age range rolled for each character.
           
These guys are supposed to be 19?
        
The game lets you just manually set the attributes for the characters, with no pretense that you're doing it to match a favorite tabletop character. But there's hardly any reason to resort to such cheating, as random attribute rolls are generous. I only got single digits a couple of times, and I only had to roll a few times before I had all attributes but one at 15 or above. Characters start at a reasonably high level, too. They come with 35,000 experience points, enough to put both my characters at Level 5 and on the cusp of Level 6. Most other classes would start at Level 6. The experience tables in the manual suggest that characters can go up to Level 20.
    
After character creation, the game begins with the two characters in the forest. Quill makes some ranger-y tracking observations, concluding that the assassin is "a bad woodsman." After his comment, I'm able to take control.
     
The characters frequently speak up in ways consistent with their classes.
       
The interface has the same basic elements from the Eye of the Beholder series—character portraits, hand items, a GTFO cluster, a compass—though rearranged. Mercifully, it appears that divine spellcasters don't have to sacrifice a shield hand to hold their holy symbols anymore. As for the main exploration window, the game lets the player toggle between freeform, continuous movement and tile-based "step movement," which is coincidentally the same term that Realms of Arkania: Star Trail used. Is there a precursor to both games that coined this term?
     
The player can move the party with the GTFO cluster, by clicking in the exploration window itself, by using the numberpad, and by using the arrow keys. (Well, he can't turn with the arrow keys, I guess; just move forward, backwards, and side to side.) Alas, the same spirit of redundancy does not apply to anything else on the interface. Attacking is only accomplished by clicking on the weapons, casting only by clicking on the spell symbols, other options only by moving the cursor to the top of the screen to access the buttons. Clicking on the portrait accesses the inventory screen. The keyboard is only useful for moving, checking the (T)ime, and (P)ausing. [Edit: And a quick (S)ave and SHIFT-(R)estore.] Wankers.
                
Moving the cursor to top of the screen brings up the game options. Any reason ESC couldn't have done the same thing? Any reason we couldn't have avoided this entirely with (M)ap, (Q)uit, etc.?
         
My paladin starts with a broadsword, a shield, chainmail (torso armor includes boots), a plate helm, and an empty sack. My ranger comes with a longsword, leather armor and helm, wooden shield, short sword, three throwing knives, and a smaller sack. It appears there's an encumbrance limit, but I'm in no danger of meeting it yet. The manual says that the character doll can accommodate amulets, cloaks, gloves, and rings in addition to the obvious slots. None of the screens say anything about money, making me wonder if the game even has an economy.
       
The inventory screens.
       
The automap, of which I'll have more to say later, shows us in the "Forgotten Realms Forest." We're limited to a narrow lane of trees, ending in a cul-de-sac, where we meet the cornered assassin.
     
I get my first taste of combat, which has the typical real-time attacking and cooling-down of other Dungeon Master-inspired games. The assassin does a reasonable amount of damage, nearly killing Summer, before we kill him, but we simply rest and heal afterwards. I don't see any signs that there's a hunger/thirst mechanic, so resting between battles doesn't have any downside.
         
Our first battle.
         
The assassin drops Lord Dhelt's holy symbol, a parchment, something called a "withered heart of mortal ardor," and a fourth object that looks like a weapon. Summer opines that: "The stench of necromancy hangs about these foul bits," but she suggests that we gather them for study. The assassin's parchment indicates that he came from the world of Ravenloft, and that he somehow figured out that Lord Dhelt's holy symbol was in fact the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind, an artifact that could destroy Strahd. He resolved to steal it ("even if it means the death of that good lord"), return to Ravenloft, destroy Strahd, and "free my people from their eternal fate." Well, now I feel bad about killing him. I guess he was more of a burglar than an assassin. But he should have asked.
      
The assassin's note.
       
I don't know what the fourth item is because the moment I pick it up, a thick fog rolls in. Weird shapes move through the fog. Three figures stand in front of us, and one reaches out his hand. Suddenly, we're in a different place and three of the four items are gone. (The parchment remains.) The automap now shows us in the "Svalich Woods" in the realm of Barovia.
     
Spooky.
        
Let's save the game at this point and learn a bit more about the land and its most famous denizen. The CRPG player first encounters Count Strahd von Zarovich, Lord of Barovia, as a triptych in the game manual—a debonair, thick-eyebrowed, slightly sinister figure. An elegant note offers "cordial greetings" and invites the party to explore the "misty, twilight dangers" of "this brutal paradise." He is speaking of Barovia specifically but also the Ravenloft campaign setting in general. Its first appearance was in 1983, in the module created by Tracy and Laura Hickman, a married couple who were looking for more story and atmosphere in their tabletop roleplaying sessions. They created it (along with several other modules) for their own roleplaying system, but Tracy ended up getting hired by TSR and brought his modules with him.
          
From my admittedly inexperienced perspective, Ravenloft is a high-quality bit of literature. I question how well it works as a D&D module specifically, but it's delightful to read. Barovia is a classic Transylvanian (fictional Transylvania, of course) region, shrouded in fog and gloom, existing in its own isolated plane of existence. Castle Ravenloft looms over the Svalich Woods, moorlands, and a pathetic town where residents huddle in terror at night, clutching holy symbols. Gypsies travel the land, dance amid giant bonfires in the evening, and tell fortunes. Wolves roam the forests, and at night the cemetery disgorges the spirits of slain adventurers, who trudge to the castle and re-enact their failure to destroy the vampire in charge of it all.
    
The 1983 module cover. Strahd sure does like standing and looking proudly at things.
         
Count Strahd has brought the party to his world, for one of four potential motives chosen at random at the beginning of the game. (There are several aspects of the session that are chosen at random using a regular deck of cards, so it was fun to see that mimicked with the gypsy at the beginning of Strahd's Possession.) Strahd isn't just some generic vampire "NPC." The module advises the dungeon master: "Strahd is supposed to be a genius; play him as one." He keeps track of the PCs' locations and acts accordingly. He charms, confuses, spies, summons allies, raises undead, drains, hides, and, if necessary, flees. His death ends the adventure, so the dungeon master "must use every power available to the vampire to keep him (and the game) going." Still, he is killable as per normal Monster Manual rules, and I have to wonder if any party ever rolled a 20 on a stake to the heart the first time they met Strahd and wrapped up the module in 15 minutes.
       
The game manual's depiction of Strahd.
       
I honestly don't know whether Strahd's Possession is an adaptation of the module, a sequel to it, or an unrelated game that uses the same characters and themes. I thus forced myself not to re-read too far into the module. I have a hard time believing that this particular interface will be able to evoke the unique environments and experiences that the tabletop party finds in Castle Ravenloft, but perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised.
   
Back in the game, I start exploring the woods. Its borders are surrounded by poisonous vapors. We're attacked by a worg wolf almost immediately. Its constant dancing back and forth makes it hard to hit (or so I think at the time), but we kill it. Then we walk a few steps more and we're swarmed by more wolves and goblins (weirdly spelled "goblyn"). They seem to come out of nowhere. We suffer our first party death.
            
With an appropriately gruesome screen.
      
On a reload, we decide to head for a nearby building, killing a couple more wolves on the way but fleeing from others. The building is a roofless, abandoned hut. As we enter, Summer remarks on a poorly-concealed trap door heading down to some kind of basement. A skeleton sits slumped in a chair; a nearby note curses Strahd for the ruin he's inflicted on the land. A button on the wall opens the trap door.
  
The basement has a number of items clearly meant to help new adventurers: three Potions of Healing, a Potion of Extra Healing, a composite bow, a quiver with eight arrows, a suit of chainmail, a cleric scroll of "Raise Dead," and something called a Ba'al Verzi Dagger. (The note suggests the Ba'al Verzi are some kind of assassin's guild.) The basement also offers a safe place to rest.
       
Despite offering shelves and barrels, I'm not sure the game engine is capable of putting items in either.
           
As you might imagine from past experience with my entries, the first thing I did upon gaining control of the game was to turn off the music. At this point, I'm also considering turning off the sound. It is beyond horrible. The problem, if I understand it correctly, is that we're at the dawn of digitized recorded audio, which was ultimately a good replacement for synthesized sound, but only after developers learned how to blend it better with the environment. Here, when a monster becomes active, the game simply calls up the appropriate .wav file and blasts the player with it at full volume. There is no accounting for distance or direction, no subtlety at all. This is also true of what's supposed to be ambient sound. Every minute or so, the game decides, "Time for some chirping birds!" and WHAM, there they are in your ear. It's positively assaultive. I wish developers had just stuck with synthesized sound until they figured out how to modulate recorded audio for a 3D environment. Having said all of that, I feel I should mention that I rarely know what I'm talking about when it comes to graphics and sound, and it's entirely possible that some overlooked setting eliminates all of my criticisms.
     
The automap shows items, enemies, and NPCs. For once, I can differentiate the colors, but the size of the dots still makes it hard to interpret.
         
As we explore in east-west strips, heading south, the automap helps a bit. It fills in fast. Basically, looking in any direction is enough to fill in about 20 squares in that direction. The map shows the locations of items to pick up, creatures, and NPCs, among other things, although as you might imagine, my colorblindness makes it difficult to differentiate some of the objects. Still, the map does help lead me to a couple of piles of treasure and my first NPC. The items include stones, which the player can pick up and throw at enemies from a distance; I manage to kill a wolf trapped between two trees this way. 
        
A worg wolf attacks.
        
The first NPC is a timid-looking man cuddling a tree. The game offers full-sentence dialogue options—or, at least, full sentences. With this particular NPC, we're able to go through all of them, so they're not really "options." We ask if he needs any help, and he suggests that his son was killed. We ask where there might be a town, and he directs us to a road "a way off," which isn't much in the way of directions. When we ask who "Strahd" is, he says that he "freed the land from Old Dorian." He warns us that Strahd "applies justice with an iron hand." The voice is reasonably well-acted with an English accent, although the audio quality is poor and sounds very much like a .wav being called up from a CD rather than anything integrated with the environment.
     
These seem like "options," but we're able to ask all of them.
        
Slowly, retreating frequently to the basement to heal, we clear out most of the goblins and worg wolves on the map. Creatures seem to respawn, which is a little annoying but also relieves the burden of feeling like you have to clear all of them. I find another NPC tied up by a campfire in the southeast corner of the map. His voice acting is notably poorer than the first one. He introduces himself as Fhalken, a merchant, although the goblins have apparently stolen and eaten all of his wares.
     
Fhalken agrees to join the party. His statistics reveal him as a Level 5 chaotic good human fighter with high strength but middling everything else. His poor dexterity means a high armor class. Scattered around the fire, I find some armor and weapons, including a two-handed sword. I guess I'll keep him until someone better comes along.
     
Neither of these options feels very paladin-y.
       
Two western exits lead to the Old Svalich Road South. It's not so much a "road" as a "corridor" that extends pretty far to both the north and the south. I don't know whether the vine-covered walls on either side are really supposed to be walls or whether they're supposed to suggest that the foliage is too dense in that direction. Either way, here are the encounters we face:
 
  • As we arrive, we see a skeleton tied to a post. A note pinned to it reads: "If you walk my land, then heed my laws. A WARNING to those who defy my will!" It is signed by Strahd von Zarovich. This is repeated multiple times on multiple skeletons in this area.
       
Is there some place where we can find out what those laws are?
      
  • As we come to a narrowing in the corridor, Quill suggests it would be a good place for an ambush by bandits. "Remember who warned you when some ignorant thief comes screaming at us from the trees," he says. We thus remember when, a few seconds later, three ignorant thieves come screaming at us from the trees. We kill two of them, and as we're about to kill the third, he surrenders and begs for mercy, promising to never undertake thievery again. He says that further up the road, a stone with an arrow will point the way to the bandit camp.
  • We meet a Vistani traveler who tells us that the nearest town is the Village of Barovia to the north. He claims that although Strahd rules from the shadows, "he is the lord, the land, and the law, a friend to the Vistani and a just ruler." He says that the Vistani have a potion that will allow passage through the poisonous mist, but we have no gold to buy it. He says that when we do have the gold, we can find him at the Blood o' the Vine tavern in Barovia.
     
I don't know, man. Just rulers don't usually leave notes on skeletons.
        
  • We find the bandit's stone marker but can't figure out how to get into the camp at first. We figure it out after we enlist Velika (below). Clicking around on a wall causes a secret door to open into a grove with multiple bandits and skeletal bats. There are a lot of weapons and armor in this area. Quill gets poisoned, which I don't notice until I've already saved. I should have made that cleric.
      
Have you never played a CRPG before?
    
  • We run into a cheerful woman named Velika. She's out for adventure and happily joins our party. She's a Level 4/4/5 chaotic good half-elf fighter/mage/thief. She wears robes and carries a longsword. Her spellbook has "Magic Missile," "Shield," "Agannazer's Scorcher" (the first time I've seen this spell), "Improved Identify," and "Ice Knife." 
       
The spell memorization screen.
        
  • Those annoying bursts of sound I told you about include, in this area, peals of laughter that come out of nowhere. I realize the developers are trying for a spooky horror setting, but this is just like someone constantly sticking a wet finger in your ear.
  • A northern gate leads, as the Vistani promised, to the Village of Barovia. 
   
Some miscellaneous observations:
    
  • A lot of the items marked as treasures on the automap turn out to be rocks. I get all excited for nothing.
       
Well, that's disappointing.
        
  • Repeatedly throwing the same missile weapon at an enemy hung up on a tree seems to be a consistently useful strategy in this game.
      
His attack range is shorter than my "reach and pick up the dagger I just threw" range.
        
  • At first, I was annoyed at enemies constantly moving in combat, but it doesn't seem to matter. My attacks hit enemies even when they're not on the visible screen. However:
  • The attack buttons are annoyingly far apart. Luckily, the player can also attack by clicking on the enemy (if he can keep the enemy on the visible screen), which cycles attacks by the four characters. How hard would it have been to just map this to the "A" key? 
  • Time is given as "R.S.T.," which I assume is "Ravenloft Standard Time." An hour passes in about a minute real-time. Ambient light peaks at 13:00, then starts dimming, reaching its darkest at around 01:00. Even at its darkest, it isn't really "dark," and yet I still prefer it lighter.
  • The manual says that the order of the characters doesn't matter unless they're indoors, at which point the two leftmost characters become the front rank and the two rightmost characters are the rear. No enemies seemed to attack the two new characters, though, even when we were outdoors. Their rank position didn't seem to stop the characters from being able to attack. I don't know whether that will change when we move indoors.
        
Coming up next.
          
I don't finish exploring the Old Svalich Road this session. Quill's poison keeps sapping his hit points, and I'm wasting healing potions bumping his health back up. So we head to the gate to Barovia, hoping to find healing (or a cleric party member) there. The game's a mixed bag so far, about as fun as one of the first two Eye of the Beholder games, perhaps—but a bit too early to judge.
  
Time so far: 3 hours 
    
****
      
Next entry in this series 
   
Further reading:    
08/31/2026 
  

57 comments:

  1. Coming back to the old subject of English reading of foreign names: how do you even pronounce "Strahd von Zarovich", "Svalich" or "Barovia" in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I don't have any problem pronouncing those names. I'm probably pronouncing them wrong, though.

      Delete
    2. Well, since these names are purely fictional ones invented by an Anglophone authors for an Anglophone audience, there is really no "wrong" way of pronouncing them, and definitely not from you. This was a literal question: as an intended audience, how do you pronounce them?

      Delete
    3. Sure, but I meant that I might not be pronouncing them as a Slav would pronounce them. "Strahd" rhymes with "God." ZAR-oh-vitch. SVALL-itch. Bar-OH-vee-ah.

      Delete
    4. Svoloch (sounds like svalich) is a negative slur my Russian wife throws at me sometimes combined with Skotina, to mean "Scum sucking animal.". So Scum sucking woods is very appropriate in Barovia. Thanks Strahd!

      Delete
    5. I don't think that there is an European language where a word would naturally end in -ahd; and having the "von" in the last name (or title?) makes things even muddier.

      If I had to naively decode the whole thing, I would guess a foreign family ruling over Eastern European land, probably somewhere in Czechia/Poland. But, again, Strahd naively makes as much sense as Jonhn Smithth.

      Delete
    6. @ajeba, this is very far-fetched - "skotina" just means "livestock" (both a category and a singular animal). "Svoloch" is nowadays only used as a swearword, but was originally a very, very archaic term for "trash". I wouldn't call either of them slurs exactly, they're very mild swearwords. Neither has any relation to scum.

      Delete
    7. Also, Svalich doesn't really sound like "svoloch", the vowels are completely different. Svalich should have "a" as in "jar" and "i" as in, well, "lich". In "svoloch" the first "o" is pronounced as in "sort", and the second, as in "dot" (not quite but an acceptable approximation).

      Delete
  2. I suspect that this CRPG adapts not just the first-edition TRPG adventure Ravenloft, but rather the second-edition campaign setting. The latter is more extensive, had numerous sourcebooks and novels, and was quite famous. I've played the TRPG version only briefly, so I can't comment on that. I've played this CRPG, but don't recall much; I suppose it wasn't memorable to me.

    In 1E, Strahd is a 10th-level wizard, in 2E he's 16th-level and has a spell (Contingency) that protects him from sunlight. The 2E version is also immune to garlic, and can enter places uninvited in the domain that he rules. Either way, he is immune to non-magical stakes, so that lucky crit isn't going to work for you.

    Finally, the main appeal of editing stats is to set Strength not just to 18, but to its "exceptional" value of 18/00, which gives huge bonuses in melee (and which should show up only 1% of the time when you roll an 18).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strahd can enter anywhere in his Domain because, as that NPC said, he IS the land. And everything within it is his.

      Domain Lords are trapped in the land they are a part of. It's one of the changes the campaign setting made to the original adventure. Strahd is merely the first of them. And it's implied that he's the first because of a ritual binding him to the land when he became it's ruler, before it was taken to the demiplane.

      And as a hilarious note, Tracy Hickman threw a huge tantrum long after he sold the rights to Dragonlance because of the Ravenloft setting. One of the most popular characters from Dragonlance, the deathknight Lord Soth (who you might remember from the SSI Dragonlance games) was sent to Ravonloft and became a Dark Lord there. Despite Tracy utterly despising all the various settings being part of a larger setting.

      So he finally convinced them to send Soth back when he and Margaret rejoined WotC, making him the only non-divine Dark Lord to break free. Where Tracy restored him to life and killed him in a later novel.

      Delete
    2. Later on in Ravenloft books Strahd´s backstory was given as a great general and warrior and the wizardry stuff/dark magic that eventually led to his vampirism came later, when he already was a ruler of Barovia. I have never played Ravenloft as TRPG and have no idea what is considered canon these days, but it´s always interesting to see how such prominent figures evolve through time.

      I played Strahd´s Possession back in the day, but can´t really remember any more than some snippets of the game. Stone Prophet has stayed better in my memory and I recall considering it a lot better and far less frustrating game.

      Delete
    3. I downloaded the sourcebooks for the campaign setting. After I get further into the plot and geography, I'll try to ascertain how much the authors took from the campaign books vs. the original module.

      Delete
    4. In general, the original 1983 module’s only dungeon crawling environment is Castle Ravenloft. There‘s no caves, catacombs, church basement, etc. There’s a few pages describing the village and lands, but the module’s focus is vastly on the castle and Strahd’s personal motivations.

      When I ran the module as dungeon master, we skipped straight to the castle, under the pretext of the high-level PCs being vampire hunters...no need to mess around roleplaying in the village. Easily one of the best one-off D&D adventures I’ve experienced.

      Delete
  3. I had forgotten that this game starts in the Forgotten Realms. As mentioned in the other thread, I find it a missed opportunity that it can't import characters from other SSI games set there.

    Turns out the Savage Frontier, the first Eye of the Beholder, and Spelljammer are pretty close to this game's Elturel. Pool of Radiance is close to Hillsfar and the third Eye of the Beholder, about 1000 miles away; this puts it in range of a single Teleport spell (available to 9th-level wizards). Al-Qadim is abot 6400 miles away by sea; not very practical but still the same world.

    Getting back, however, is another story. I'm pretty sure that traveling out of Ravenloft as that assassin does (or with the Vistani potion) is canonically not possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Importing would make a lot of sense, too, where the characters start at such a high level.

      Delete
  4. Pretty sure Agannazar's Scorcher is in Baldur's Gate, so either you were poking fun at the slight.mispelling or, congrats, you have forgotten enough about it so that your next playthrough in 10 years' time will beva fresh expreience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While you're correct that I don't remember it from BG, usually when I say things like "first time," I mean in the chronology of my blog.

      Delete
  5. Ah, Ravenloft! I had been waiting this one for a while...

    ... to share this banger of Vampire-themed indie-music from the early 2020s:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiCz5CTOGvg&t=39s

    Joke aside, I never knew that Ravenloft was a stand-alone adventure before being a full-fledged boxed set; I only ever knew the latest.

    Of the many "countries" entrapped in the mist, Strahd's Barovia was never my favourite - some were in my opinion a lot more original. I only marginally roleplayed it and don't have strong memories of it.

    I wonder whether the video game is only based on the scenario module or takes elements from the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember finishing this one, but a lot of the mid game is a blur in my mind. I do remember the ending though, so.. have fun. Goblyns vs. Goblins- Goblins (common spelling) were the goblinoid creatures you're used to in D&D. Goblyns were a Ravenloft creation, creatures similar in appearance to goblins,but created by corrupted druids and hags in cauldrons. They had a special attack where they would attempt to bite a character's face. I don't remember if they used it in the video game, but their statistics were stronger than their common cousins. I don't remember how closely the game mirrors the module, I don't think it's a one to one recreation but you're probably safer not reading it than having a few things spoiled later on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd argue that it's Interview with the Vampire - the book, not the movie - that's to blame for starting the modern vampire trend. Although technically the characters are in their early-mid twenties (at the time of their turning), angstiness abounds. The book's from 1976 so precedes Ravenloft by a couple years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Quill gets poisoned, which I don't notice until I've already saved."

    Your colorblindness screwed you very early in this game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just as a side note, D&D is second to none in their name/title-design, even better than metal bands, always perfectly capturing the mood of each setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My suspicion is that at least some of their main illustrators back in TSR days also had experience in signage/lettering, and those titles/logos were fully painted illustrations in their own right, whereas these days such things are mostly vector graphics lending a very different feel. I'd swear the Forgotten Realms title is a Keith Parkinson piece, for example. I'll be touring one of the main D&D art collections in a couple days, so maybe I'll get more insight on it.

      Delete
  10. I'm currently running the 5th edition P&P campaign of Curse of Strahd for a second time. There is something about Barovia that goes beyond nostalgia, not sure what it is, but the setting definitely has a place in my heart beating any other vampire background. Can't say what it is, but it's just special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing all the Ravenloft aficionados in the comment section, I strongly recommend reading C.A. Smith's 'Averoigne Cycle', a collection of short stories originally published during the 1920s and 30s in various magazines, they convey exactly that gothic flavour of vampires, werwolves, deep forests, dark castles and black magic.

      Delete
    2. I'm also running the 5E campaign right now. This has always been one of the best written and diverse campaigns out there. I come back to it every 5-10 years to replay either as a player or DM. I never played the CRPG version even though I have both games....may need to change that now.....

      Delete
    3. And to bring it back around to D&D, another early adventure, "X2 - Castle Amber" included a portal to Averoigne. And it became an important part of the backstory of the "Principalities of Glantri" campaign setting, which veered back and forth between goofy humour and creepy vampires and werewolves.

      Delete
    4. Any relationship to Zelazny's series of novels, starting with Nice Princes In Amber?

      Delete
  11. You can cure poison by using Keoghtom's Ointment, a healing item, more rare than potions. You can also use Cleric Scroll of Neutralize Poison you should've gotten in the bandit camp (in one of the sacks). Other than that and having a Cleric, there is no other way to cure poison.

    You can use S key to save. It is a quicksave option that overwrites itself each time. You really should read the manuals more carefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks for pointing that out, even if you were a bit of a dick about it. I don't think that invalidates my general annoyance at the lack of keyboard shortcuts.

      Delete
    2. Quick save is like shift s and load is shift l or something like that

      Delete
    3. Clerics don't normally learn Neutralize Poison until 7th level. So having a Cleric wouldn't have helped much.

      Delete
    4. @CRPG Addict
      Sorry if that sounded like a nitpicking.

      @Static4444
      A single-class Cleric starts the game on the 6th level and gets the 7th pretty quickly. It is more of an issue for a multi-classed cleric. Still, it beats not having a cleric at all and having to fight through half of the game before recruiting Sasha.

      Delete
  12. Oh, by the way, in case you've forgotten - Dreamforge was previously Event Horizon, the developers of Darkspyre, The Summoning and Dusk of the Gods. So gameplay-wise expect more or less the same - especially what concerns the economy - except this time with a party and in first-person.
    Interestingly enough, Dreamforge kinda went the same path as Westwood afterwards - having developed 3 DnD blobbers for SSI, they moved on to make a more streamlined non-DnD blobber of their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coincidentally Veil of Darkness (which used the same engine as The Summoning) was also set in a land ruled by a vampire lord. Or maybe that was the reason these developers were chosen to make this game.

      Delete
  13. If you look closely at the Castlevania II box art; you will notice they pilfered heavily from the Ravenloft Module cover. This was removed for the European release.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is the first time on this blog that both games you are playing are ones that I have played in the past! Ravenloft, just like Pagan, is a game that I have fond memories of but doesn't stand up on a modern playthrough. Particularly awkward is the two permanent party members whilst rotating the other two slots, it usually means that you don't really want to pick up new party members that don't fill the roles you need. I think you will regret not having at least a cleric as one of your PCs, as you pretty much need one, which means you will only have one slot to rotate all the other NPCs through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, unlike in Dungeon Hack, you can't turn undead off in this game if you happen not to have a cleric.

      Delete
  15. > DreamForge Entertainment

    Nitpick: it's actually "Intertainment".

    > Well, he can't turn with the arrow keys, I guess; just move forward, backwards, and side to side.

    You can do that using the Numpad.

    > Attacking is only accomplished by clicking on the weapons

    As you noted later, you can also click on monsters which is much easier (unlike in the sequel where an animation makes it incredibly slow).

    ...

    It's true that the interface is rather clunky, but the manual as well as my own walkthrough have plenty of detail on how the controls work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm super excited to see you get to this game finally, as it's one of my favorite CRPGs from the DOS era. Now from an absolute standpoint I'm not going to argue that it's up there with Ultima 7 and the like, and honestly I'm expecting the gimlet score to be middling at best (for one - to answer a comment in your post - it's going to get a 0 for economy), but it's one of those games that just speaks to me personally.

    I will say this - I would ask you to reconsider your position on the music and sound effects. One of the reasons I love it so much is that I consider it to have the second best videogame soundtrack of all time, ranking second only to Skyrim. I will admit it might be a little hard in the modern era to appreciate it's Soundblaster MIDI rendering, but if you play the MIDI files through a modern synthesizer they are quite amazing (well, the background tracks anyways. I will fully admit that a lot of the combat music is annoying). At the very least listen to the background track for the village of Barovia. If that doesn't do it for you, then fine, play with the music off.

    As for the sound effects, I get your assertion that they can be a little in your face (or ear, as the case may be), but sometimes that's what makes them so effective. There are a few monster "howls" in the game that will make you wet your pants the first time you hear them, and their abruptness and full-volume intensity even though you've just come into audio range of the monster is a big part of the effect. And once you learn which monsters to be terrified of encountering (and there are some brutal ones in this game), hearing their sound cues with no directional audio heightens the tension - are they in the next hallway over and thus not a concern right now, or are they right around the next corner?

    In any case that's my plea for a game I have so many fond memories of. I hope you find it enjoyable as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Crystal Dragon (I think it is on your list) is a blobber that starts with two characters and as far as I know has just the two all the way to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven’t loaded them to see, it some online sources say Agannazar’s Scorcher is present in Dungeon Hack (1993), as well as in Menzoberranzan (1994). I also remember it well from the Infinity Engine games, both because of the evocative name and the way a little creative clicking could use the effect to get multiple hits from a single casting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, but it's basically "arbitary damage spell #17" and it doesn't really stand out amidst the other arbitrary damage spells. Unlike the iconic *Fireball*.

      Delete
  19. "before pop culture decided to reformulate vampires as angsty teenagers"

    While the initial Ravenloft module dropped in 1983, it seems to me this 1994 game is picking up on TSR's launch of the Ravenloft campaign setting in 1990. White Wolf's launch of the popular and influential Vampire: the Masquerade game came one year later, 1991, I think much more informed by the angsty vamps you allude to, set up as a previous commentor notes by Anne Rice's novels. (The Interview With A Vampire movie was 1994, so even though this game presumably falls on the gothic rather than angsty end of the bloodsucker spectrum, possibly this game's release was timed to coincide with the movie's moment in the zeitgeist. The early '90s were a vampiric time in the popular culture!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1992 also saw the Buffy film - whose initial original concept led to the later series - as well as Bram Stoker's Dracula by Coppola.

      While neither focuses on angsty teenage vampires, they reinforce the early '90s indeed being a 'vampiric time' in pop culture.

      Delete
    2. I don't even know why I said that in such a negative way. I think Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of the 10 best shows of all time.

      Delete
    3. There was also the TV series Forever Knight in 1992, which was about a detective vampire.

      I think some of it was backlash from the satanic panic, as well as things like the popularity with Anne Rice’s vampire novels, Salem’s Lot, Vampire the Masquerade, and the resurgence of horror.

      Delete
  20. At the risk of shilling (although I am only an anonymous fan and have nothing to gain):

    There is a podcast called Wonderful World of Darklords. The couple who host it are (obviously) intensely interested in Ravenloft and broader RPG culture. I don't know how to describe them other than as weeaboos for Ravenloft.

    They just played this game for charity last month. They posted it to their various podcast outlets and YouTube channel.

    I suspect if you reach out, Rachel especially would answer some of your more niche questions about publication timelines or how the different Strahd products relate to one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AlphabeticalAnonymousSeptember 1, 2026 at 5:14 PM

      Weeaboo: I learned a new word today.

      Delete
  21. I love this game. It’s one of my favorite RPGs of all time. I played it when it was released, and I loved it so much that even on my 386 SX 20 MHz, I still had a great time playing it, despite sometimes getting between 1 and 5 FPS in the city of Barovia, with loading the map taking 30 seconds. Thankfully, when I got my Pentium 90 MHz, the game ran perfectly smoothly.

    I find it strange that you don’t like the music, because it has to be one of my favorite OSTs. I listen to it quite often even today, and I think the quality is really good. It’s MIDI, but I absolutely love it. Every track perfectly complements the gloomy atmosphere you find in every location throughout the game.

    The sound effects are good too. Maybe there was something wrong with the sound configuration?

    The characters start at level 5, and I finished the game around level 9 or 10 at most. I never reached level 20 in this game. Maybe in the sequel, which unfortunately I never got to play.

    The floppy disk version and the CD version are different. The CD version contains an additional level, with an extra quest and NPCs walking around the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I find it strange that you don’t like the music." I should probably explain it better for readers who haven't been on my blog a long time. I don't like music in games. Period. I didn't turn it off because I didn't like Ravenloft's music in particular; I turned it off because I never like game music. I'll likely listen to this game's soundtrack in isolation before the final entry and give my thoughts then.

      As for the sound effects, I described what was happening in the entry. If anyone has a different technical experience with the sound (i.e., in your version, it's modulated for distance), please let me know. Otherwise, I'm not going to waste time fiddling with the settings.

      "The CD version contains an additional level." I bought it from GOG, and I'm thus pretty sure that's what I have.

      Delete
    2. Since the music subject comes up regularily, I wonder if it's worth adding a short comment in your FAQ (that you could then refer to instead of having to explain it each time)?

      The same goes for maybe briefly laying down your approach to the GIMLET score for Graphics, Sound and Interface. I don't know how often over the years I've seen someone commenting "But the graphics are great, how can this only rate x?" and/or not understanding (why) you have an issue with mouse-only interfaces in many instances and you having to - again - repeat the same points for the n-th time.

      Finally, another aspect that newer readers might not be aware of and which plays a role to understand certain issues you occasionally encounter, is your (specific) colour-blindness.
      [As comments on the FAQ page are not enabled (for technical reasons), I use the occasion to put this all here.]

      Delete
    3. I find it strange that you're old enough to have played this game when it came out, yet haven't realized yet that people have vastly different tastes in music ;)

      The only thing I found strange regarding music on this blog was that the Addict really liked the intro music of Black Crypt, because I would have thought that was not his kind of music. And maybe that one Relayer era Yes reference...

      Delete
  22. "Still, he is killable as per normal Monster Manual rules, and I have to wonder if any party ever rolled a 20 on a stake to the heart the first time they met Strahd and wrapped up the module in 15 minutes"

    Happened to me! Sort of. I ran the recent version, Curse of Strahd, for two groups of players. It's a huge campaign adventure that starts at Level 1 and has the characters roam around Barovia visiting different towns and ruins, until they've levelled up enough to enter Castle Ravenloft and basically play the original Ravenloft adventure. It has the same blurb about playing Strahd intelligently, and also that he's not omniscient so keep track of what he knows about the characters and where his spies have spotted them. He's supposed to periodically show up to harass them, taunt them or try to recruit them, to make his presence felt throughout the campaign.

    Well, one group got to Castle Ravenloft, faced him, and had a reasonably-satisfying climactic fight in the crypts to end the campaign, at which point Barovia dissolved and they were picked up by a passing Spelljammer.

    The other group managed to ambush Strahd and kill him about 3/4 of the way through the campaign, when he showed up to taunt them at the very far end of Barovia, far from his coffin where he could regenerate.

    Which actually worked out great: I figured he had to have coffins hidden all around Barovia, so they had to search the woods for his hiding place and kill him again before he healed enough to flee back to the castle. Which they did.

    Meanwhile, an NPC who they'd travelled with earlier but parted ways with a few levels ago invaded the castle, found it in chaos because it's master was dead, and seized the throne to set himself up as the new Darklord. So we were able to finish with an expedition to the castle and a big fight with a spooky evil wizard after all. Just not the expected one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did either of those parties roll a lucky 20 and kill Strahd in the first round of combat early in the campaign? Because that's what Chet was talking about.

      Delete
  23. The tarot-themed character creation reminds me of the (clearly Ultima-inspired) Tarot-based character creation process from Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. Of course, the tarot theme also goes further there, including tarot cards as a consumable item during gameplay.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This has been fun to read, thanks!

    I did play an extended campaign over Ravenloft and had good fun there, though the setting isn't one I'd usually resonate with.

    I like the presentation of this one

    ReplyDelete

The CRPG Addict welcomes all comments about the material in this blog and other comments. COMMENTS ARE MODERATED, however, and will only appear once approved. Please do not resubmit a comment if you don't see it appear immediately.

If your comment does not appear, it is likely because one of the following rules violations:

1. DO NOT COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY. If you do not want to log in or cannot log in with a Google Account, choose the "Name/URL" option and type a name (you can leave the URL blank). If that doesn't work, use the "Anonymous" option but put your name of choice at the top of the entry. I will only make exceptions to this if your comment is so good that I don't want to lose it.

2. Do not link to any commercial entities, including Kickstarter campaigns, unless they're directly relevant to the material in the associated blog posting. (For instance, that GOG is selling the particular game I'm playing is relevant; that Steam is having a sale this week on other games is not.) This also includes user names that link to advertising.

3. Please avoid profanity and vulgar language. I don't want my blog flagged by too many filters. I will delete comments containing profanity on a case-by-case basis.

4. I appreciate if you use ROT13 for explicit spoilers for the current game and upcoming games. Please at least mention "ROT13" in the comment so we don't get a lot of replies saying "what is that gibberish?"

5. Comments on my blog are not a place for slurs against any race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or mental or physical disability. I will delete these on a case-by-case basis depending on my interpretation of what constitutes a "slur."

6. Do not attempt to doxx me or any other commenter.

7. If your comment points out a typo or mistake, I will gratefully fix it, but I won't post the comment.

Blogger has a way of "eating" comments, so I highly recommend that you copy your words to the clipboard before submitting, just in case.

I read all comments, no matter how old the entry. So do many of my subscribers. Reader comments on "old" games continue to supplement our understanding of them. As such, all comment threads on this blog are live and active unless I specifically turn them off. There is no such thing as "necro-posting" on this blog, and thus no need to use that term.