 |
| You have to admire a game that gets right down to business. |
Labyrinths
United States
Progressive Computer Applications (developer and publisher)
Released 1982 for Atari 800
Date Started: 10 September 2026
Date Ended: 10 September 2026
Total Hours: 2
Difficulty: Easy (2.0/5), not that it means much in this game, since there's no objective
Final Rating: (to come later)
Ranking at time of posting: (to come later)
Any player who has sampled Telengard (1982) or one of the other DND variants knows that the geography of those games is just an illusion; the character can hit (P)ass next to the stairs and receive encounter after encounter. This game does away with the illusion. It's all-text. There is no movement, no sense of any geography. The player enters the dungeon and gets encounter after encounter until he dies.
Ads for the game in magazines like Antic and Compute stressed this inherent randomness. "DIFFERENT EVERYTIME [sic] YOU PLAY!" the publisher boasted.
 |
| I enter a very small office every day. |
There's no backstory except that the character is going to descend into a network of labyrinths and try to get rich. The player names the character and chooses from fighter, thief, cleric, and magic-user classes. Each character starts with between roughly 1 and 15 hit points (class dependent) and a spear. He immediately starts encountering gnolls, mummies, zombies, giant spiders, dragons, and 30 or so other D&D-style creatures. As in the DND variants, these monsters all have an explicit level between 1 and roughly the player's current level plus 2. There can be multiple monsters, but they attack and die as a unit rather than individually.
If the player successfully kills the monsters in combat, he gets experience and finds treasure that can include weapons, armor, scrolls, and gold. Gold is converted directly to experience. The player can find treasures irrespective of monsters, too, and just as in Telengard, it's always fun when a Level 1 player finds treasure worth 5,000 gold pieces and gets to Level 3 immediately. Levels come with extra strength and hit points.
 |
| This was a good day. |
So far, this seems like an awfully basic game, and it is, but Labyrinths has some surprises when it comes to combat. It's unexpectedly tactical, and in a way that's class-dependent. Some examples:
- Enemies start at range. Some try to maintain a range, others close the gap. The player can also run towards or away from the enemy. He might want to maintain distance from melee enemies, using his own missile weapons, or run towards enemies with breath attacks and kill them in melee combat. If he runs far enough away, he escapes.
- The character can carry several weapons, both melee and missile, and use them as the situation demands.
 |
| Combat options for a magic-user character. |
- Spellcasters get typical D&D spells at appropriate levels, including "Magic Missile," "Shield," "Strength," "Speed," "Lightning Bolt," and "Hold Monster." Clerics get several variations of "Cure," "Teleport," "Hold Person," and "Flame Strike," among others.
- Thieves can hide in shadows and backstab.
 |
| I somehow managed to backstab with a bow and arrow. |
- Characters can find magic weapons and armor in the dungeon or purchase them from an occasional merchant. Magic weapons may have an increased chance to hit, increased damage, or both.
- The game tracks encumbrance, also based on class.
- All characters can read magic scrolls, though they don't know the effects until they've read them. These scrolls might heal, protect, or strengthen the character.
- The player can consult battle statistics that show his chances to hit the monster and vice versa.
 |
| Statistics for the current battle. |
- Every once in a while, the game gives the player the option to leave the dungeon and go outside. If he takes it, he always a) encounters a merchant and can buy one item, b) rests and heals, and c) immediately encounters a pit that dumps him back into the dungeon.
 |
| Do I have to count them out individually? |
It's too bad that this is all for nothing. The game has no quest. The character can never escape the dungeon or retire. (I've verified this by inspecting the file.) He just keeps fighting until he dies and gets a score.
 |
| So it goes. |
Although there are no graphics, the game does offer basic sounds (crunches and such) during combat. The game changes colors of the screen background and text at random, which I could do without. All command prompts are given on-screen, which is handy.
 |
| Although there are things I like about the game, I think the ad over-sells it a bit. |
I've often thought that in an all-text game, there isn't any excuse for simple mechanics, since the developer didn't have to spend time or disk space on graphics. By the same token, though, I think that there's no excuse for an all-text game to offer no story or ending.
I can't find that the Burtonsville, Maryland-based PCA ever made or marketed any other games; they must have blown their budget on full-page ads. Labyrinths sold for $28.95 on disk, or about $100 even today, which is pretty crazy. Still, for a game that isn't very good (GIMLET of 15), it isn't half bad.
For further reading:
****
That's all I accomplished this week. How pathetic is that? Less than 1,000 words. I wanted to couple this with one or two other short games, but I ran out of time, and I knew that if I allowed myself to break my regular posting schedule, which has been intact since April, I'd end up taking a long hiatus. I might anyway; this month is killing me. But cross your fingers for another Ravenloft entry on Sunday.
Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure most here are grateful for every post regardless of its length. And take a break if you feel the need for it.
ReplyDeleteYour color blindness might actually help with this game. To me many of the screenshots are hard to read because of the font and background colors being too near to each other.
Fully agreed!
DeleteThat's true for me, too, fireball. I hated posting some of these. There's probably some Altirra setting that deals with it, but I couldn't figure it out.
DeleteI completely agreed with Fireball on both counts as well. I doubt there is a setting to fix anything, I am betting those screens are displayed as intended.
DeleteThirding "don't be too hard on yourself". Reading one of your entries is frequently the highlight of my day, and while this wasn't as much of a dopamine hit as you bashing on Ultima 8 (... all these years later and I'm still bitter? Geez, I need to let it go...) it's still a fun read. I really appreciate everything you do!
Delete"I somehow managed to backstab with a bow and arrow."
ReplyDeleteStealth Archer: meta since 1982.
Chesterton did it first!
DeleteIn Pathfinder 1e, there exist feat chains allowing you to do just this (i.e. use your bow and/or arrows as melee weapons)---though I can't imagine many scenarios in which the required feat tax would be worth the investment (unless you were playing as a Fighter, and didn't know what else to spend your bonus feats on---though if you were playing as a fighter, you would either need a dip in Rogue or another extra feat just to have sneak attack dice in the first place).
Delete"He just keeps fighting until he dies and gets a score."
ReplyDeleteI guess there's a second meta ending of beating the dungeon by advancing until some internal integer value exceeds its upper limit and the program crashes, but that objective is only on the table for bored kids when this is the only game they own.
In a game that casually uses figures like "238050 GP," that might happen sooner than you expect.
Delete"He just keeps fighting until he dies and gets a score" sounds like a metaphor for life.
DeleteI can just see it. The pain strikes late one night. I clutch my chest. The world fades as I whisper Irene's name. There's darkness. Then a light. A voice, calm and soothing, says: "Congratulations. You have earned the rank of WEALTHY MERCHANT."
DeleteClosing in on 600 games played, is there a plan for number 666?
ReplyDeleteI don't know. I'll probably be in 1996 when that number hits. If only there were an obvious contender.
DeleteDiablo's pretty close with January 3rd 97. Alas.
DeleteWikipedia lists Diablo's North American release as 1996 and that's how it's in the master game list. I'm pretty sure the Addicts comment was tongue-in-cheek. If not, there's always Jiji part 3.
DeleteDiablo seems like the obvious choice, even though according to Codexperts it's not a "real CRPG".
DeleteNo it doesn't? That's exactly where I got that date from. Are you sure you looked at the right article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_(video_game))?
Delete1) I was making a reference to Diablo, 2) Which I did have as a 1996 game, but 3) someone edited the Wikipedia article between Buck's comment and fireball's. It originally had a date of 30 December 1996 for the North American release, but now it has 3 January 1997. A footnote clarifies that one of the developers has claimed that west coast retailers started selling it early.
DeleteMobyGames also has 1997, so I suppose I'll have to advance it on my own list, which makes its appearance for that iconic figure much less likely.
Wait, no, I'm wrong. Someone didn't edit the page. The conflict is between the Diablo (series) page, which shows the initial release as 31 December 1996 and the Diablo (game) page, which shows it as 3 January 1997. Still, an official release date wins over someone's anecdote.
DeleteIt says 1996 on the series page, 1997 on the page for the game itself. Blizzard itself frequently lists it as 1996 (e.g. https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/article/22887361/diablo-now-available-on-gog-com), though 1997 is also found very often. The confusion probably arises because it seems like the game was sold early in some stores on the West Coast.
DeleteBut the master game list has it as 1996 so I'm pretty sure that's the one the Addict meant.
31 December 1996 date comes from Blizzard themselves - see e.g. https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/article/22887361/diablo-now-available-on-gog-com
DeleteJimmy Maher’s article on Diablo likewise says it started being sold between Christmas and New Year’s, but I’m guessing he’s relying on the same sources.
DeleteThe Wikipedia page (for the game, not the series) actually has a discussion of the release date issue:
DeleteBlizzard had planned to have Diablo in stores before the 1996 holiday season, but even with both Blizzard North and the Irvine studio working in crunch, the Blizzard executives recognized they would not make this deadline while still aiming to release a quality product.[18] The actual release date of Diablo has been subject of some conflict. It was scheduled for release in January 1997 by Blizzard[1][2][3] and was widely available by January 6, 1997,[6] but had started shipping to retailers in December 1996, some which made the game available for sale that month.[18] Blizzard marked Diablo's 20th anniversary on December 31, 2016.[31]
I was on a Mac at the time, so I think of it as a 1998 game...
There is also no law that says you can’t pull a game slightly forward if it makes sense to do so :)
Delete@CRPG Addict, this is where you need Newspapers.com subscription. Diablo was heavily advertized by BestBuy with discounts at the end of December 1996, but some stores warned that due to the delays from the publisher it was not available and offered rainchecks.
DeletePerhaps there is truth to both stories: release date was slated to be December 29, 1996, but due to shortages only stores on the West Coast got the shipments?
I also think this is another example of the dangers of relying on one person's memory to say "West Coast stores started selling early": since there were ads and notifications about rainchecks from BestBuy, it is clearly impossible to have Diablo being planned to be released in 1997.
Anthony Burgess wrote a piece entitled 'Blasts from the Smallest Room'.
ReplyDeleteThat makes me think of composer Max Reger's reply to a critic: "I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me."
DeleteWhich in turn reminds me of: "I am taken aback by your effrontery. But I will try to put your affront in back of me."
Delete"Blasts from the Smallest Room" does look like a euphemism for what might happen after a particularly spicy and/or undercooked meal.
Delete